Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Looking for used 2009+ Boxster S

Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM
wquiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for used 2009+ Boxster S

Call it mid-life crisis, but I am seriously looking at an used Porsche. Been searching since early March.

A friend of mine had an 2007 Cayman S, and now owns a 2014 Cayman S (PDK, PASM, etc.). Co-worker has older 2008 Cayman S (heavily modified - almost a GT3!), and another one has a 2011 911 (PDK, PASM, etc.). So I got them trying to "help me out", sort of speak.

Sports car wise, I have owned a Camaro Z28, Miata, and 2002 M3 (SMG). I then had kids, and as a result how drive two family sedans (Acura TL & Infiniti G37). The Acura is now paid, so I am planing on using that monthly budget towards the Porsche. My current budget is in the upper $20K - low $30K range.

I live here in the Dallas area, so I started to look for local cars so that I can try them first hand. My friends all said to go for the "S" model, but there are fewer of those, so today I test drove (all of them manual - not considering an auto!):
- 2006 Cayman S (19K miles, immaculate, with only 19.5K miles!)
- 2007 Boxster (base) 55K miles
- 2008 Boxster (base) 60K miles
- 2005 Boxster S (72K miles)

Feedback so far:
- Loved the mid-engine sound on both cars. Quite glorious, even more in the Boxster. With the top down the Boxster sounds great, even if not at speed, while the Cayman was a little bit more muted.
- Loved the 6-speed / clutch on the Cayman S/Boxster S more than the 5-speed on the Boxsters.
- Brakes on the two base Boxsters did not felt as good/strong as the ones in the Cayman S/Boxster S. Very subtle difference.
- They all felt pretty firm, maybe even a little harsh on bad/poor city roads, but none had the PASM to try.
- Both are louder than my M3 was, BUT, in both Boxster/Cayman I felt more "connected" to the road. More "raw", but in a good way.
- Seats on both were great, as well as the driving position - ergonomics were perfect, better than in the M3. Can't say how it would feel after a "long" drive, but it was easy to feel comfy right away.
- Cayman was quieter inside, but with the top down, the Boxster has awesome. I now get the whole "permanent smile" I read about the Boxster!.

After these test drives I am 100% sold on the Boxster S, but I also decided to pay a little more and start with the 2009+ models to be past the years with the potential IMS issues. I am not selling the family sedans, so the Boxster would be an extra car, most likely for commuting to work, city driving, running errands with the wife or one of the kids (as both don't fit!).

I would love if the car had PASM, even though it is not a common feature on my searches so far. Heated seats is mandatory. I am finding many Black cars, but I will not ever buy a Black car again. I am looking for lighter colors, Silvers, Grays, and White only. Of course will not buy without PPI showing car is good.

I joined the PCA (the Quest program), also joined the rennlist forum, and they also recommended to join here as well. I am also utilizing autoTEMPEST to help me with the online adds.

My search continues. Really excited about owning my first Porsche.

Will
Dallas/Richardson

PS
Last Friday I got to participate in an event driving "exotics", and I got to drive a Lotus, a Cayman (base), and a Ferrari. Even though the Cayman (base) was underpowered compared to the Ferrari (plus the Ferrari sounded GLORIOUS!), the balance of the Cayman was awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

The PDK was "OK", and in fact, MUCH better than in the older Ferrari, BUT I am still going to only considera 6-sp manual on the Boxster:

Here is me in the middle of the last two cars that I drove:

Old 07-30-2016, 09:53 PM
nworbekim is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Will,

After a few years in an E46 M3 I've just started my search for an 2009 Cayman and am in the North East. I'll PM you if I see any interesting Boxster S.

Mike

Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM
wquiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, but I found a Boxster on July 1st. Ended up with a 2014 Boxster S with 5K miles. Details here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-porsche.html