Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 718 Cayman s vs. 2016 GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 PM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
2017 718 Cayman s vs. 2016 GTS

So I haven't been able to play with these cars side-by-side but looking into the new 2017 seems like it has so many upgrades with better brakes from the 911 better steering more performance quicker 0 to 60 times however the big question is regarding exhaust sound.
I decided to go ahead and order the 2017 to the exact specs I wanted an MSRP ended up being 97,000. I ordered it one week ago to continue to study and I'm continuing to struggle with my decision. On one hand I'm super excited for such a great car but on the flipside I'm questioning should I just find it 2016 GTS? Well today I located a GTS with A MSRP of $1000 less than the one I ordered. So torn whether to have the dealer do a dealer swap and bring that car or in or stay with my order. It's not the waiting just wanting to get the right car. From all the reviews and everything I've seen on YouTube they speak so highly of the new car but that one little naggy thing. I have called several dealers to ask what their opinions were even ones that have GTS is on the floor. From just about every dealer I have been told not to worry about the exhaust that they Think it sounds fine and I love the new technology and have been able to drive the new Caymans at launch then said they are awesome. What do you all think ?
So here is how hi spec the car. As you know the 17 has the Carrera breaks faster steering and a lot more low-end torque. The 16 I found is agate grey and the interior is all black which I don't mind other than that the cars are very similar and looks.

Last edited by T.O.; 09-29-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
Here is the 16,

Here is a 16 but using as an example to show roughly what my 17 would look like.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 PM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
At the very least you should test drive a 17 S and see what you think. It may be a moot point after you do that. If you still have doubts, then see if you can find a dealer within reasonable driving range (Dallas?) that has a 2016 S in stock (the S is close enough in performance to the GTS that you can't tell much if any difference) and test drive it - preferably back to back with a 17 S.

Read all the reviews you like, but only you can decide what is most important to you.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by jg_atl
At the very least you should test drive a 17 S and see what you think. It may be a moot point after you do that. If you still have doubts, then see if you can find a dealer within reasonable driving range (Dallas?) that has a 2016 S in stock (the S is close enough in performance to the GTS that you can't tell much if any difference) and test drive it - preferably back to back with a 17 S.

Read all the reviews you like, but only you can decide what is most important to you.
Well good news my dealer called me today they just got a 17 S off the truck obviously in Boxster form and I was very surprisingly impressed with the exhaust in person. You just cannot get it at all through YouTube videos on the computer even with good speakers. As far as performance, outstanding much more low-end acceleration and I feel much better about my order!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Look at these brakes on the S! They adopted the 911 Carrera brakes and I also chose high-gloss black wheels.