Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vivid Racing : Official Project 981 S Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Vivid Racing : Official Project 981 S Build Thread

Hello! Decided to finally make our official build thread for my personal 981 Cayman S. For those who missed the original thread, the car is a 2014 CPO Cayman S purchased from Porsche West Broward. Not a whole lot of options on the car which wasn't a deal breaker as I was obviously planning on modding the car. This car ticked off my very short list of requirements I was looking for: PDK, infotainment, sport steering wheel. Car also happened to be in my top preference for color, Sapphire Blue Metallic.

I have had the car since July and been enjoying every minute of it. I have never driven anything that compares to this in terms of how much fun it provides. The handling and overall feel of the car is absolutely sublime.

Seeing as I am in the industry, there was no question that I was going to be adding some goodies to the car. So far it has a VRtuned ECU flash, and Agency Power exhaust system.

A lot of people will ask, "is it even worth it to tune an NA car?". Yes. While the tune alone was great, which you can mainly feel in the low end, paired with the exhaust there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and power delivery on the car. Anyone who says there is no power to get out of a non-turbo car has never driven one, there is a clear and noticeable difference. I am excited to add some other power mods like a new plenum with the GT3 throttle body for even more smiles. While the initial plan was to get a baseline dyno and have after runs for all of the mods; we were having issues with the dyno reading incorrectly due to the factory traction control not fully disabling itself. Would have been nice to know the hard numbers, but after driving the car it is an after thought, the gains are there.

As far as how it sounds? AMAZING. Was originally on the fence between Agency Power and the Armytrix system. The Agency Power looks and sounds amazing, no regrets. The Armytrix is by far the louder and more aggressive system, whereas the Agency Power sounds more like a beefier sounding PSE. Just above OEM at idle but really screams when the revs climb. Minimal drone and the driving experience is almost identical to stock when cruising. There really is nothing with a better bang for the buck when it comes to exhaust systems out there. Will be posting up the full video we recorded the other day as soon as our media team finishes with it.

For future plans, stay tuned!! Car is currently in the back being measured up and test fitting an Agency Power harness bar that does not require the center hump to be cut into. Hoping to get some beautiful carbon bits, suspension, wheels and possibly a GT4 style wing as much as my SO thinks that will turn the car into a ricer.

You can also check out our other ongoing project, the Mclaren 570s aka McVivid here

Old 12-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
If the GT4 rear diffuser is bolt on, that's a no brainer. Very inexpensive compared to most all else you mentioned. Duck tail looks better than the GT4 wing, unless you need a mobile picnic table. You could always do the GT4 side scoops, which are also functional. What suspension is on the car? The non-PASM sport suspension is the best way to go if your suspension is base. I've had PASM in 4 different Porsches and never liked it. The sport suspension in my Cayman R, '11 Spyder and now my '16 Spyder is perfectly setup.

I had a '14 981S for a bit before selling to buy the Cayman R. One of the few things I did to it was change the painted front splitter to the base Cayman non-painted black one. All bolt on. Looks better in my opinion and didn't have to worry about curbing it.

Best of luck. I'll enjoy watching your progress!

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-10-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
If the GT4 rear diffuser is bolt on, that's a no brainer. Very inexpensive compared to most all else you mentioned. Duck tail looks better than the GT4 wing, unless you need a mobile picnic table. You could always do the GT4 side scoops, which are also functional. What suspension is on the car? The non-PASM sport suspension is the best way to go if your suspension is base. I've had PASM in 4 different Porsches and never liked it. The sport suspension in my Cayman R, '11 Spyder and now my '16 Spyder is perfectly setup.

I had a '14 981S for a bit before selling to buy the Cayman R. One of the few things I did to it was change the painted front splitter to the base Cayman non-painted black one. All bolt on. Looks better in my opinion and didn't have to worry about curbing it.

Best of luck. I'll enjoy watching your progress!
Yeah the GT4 diffuser is tempting, thinking I will go carbon though. Have been back and forth between wanting to do the Spyder style spoiler or full blown GT4 wing (probably the Techart one actually)

Car does not have PASM, will be doing KW here pretty soon.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor
Also, recorded a quick exhaust video over the weekend

Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Any experience with the FF1 engine mount inserts (as seen on Suncoast website)? $129. I like big bang for the buck mods.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
Any experience with the FF1 engine mount inserts (as seen on Suncoast website)? $129. I like big bang for the buck mods.
I actually hadn't heard of those until now. Just checked them out though and seems interesting. Might be picking those up in the future to see how they are, seems like a great bang for buck though.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
I actually hadn't heard of those until now. Just checked them out though and seems interesting. Might be picking those up in the future to see how they are, seems like a great bang for buck though.
I'll eagerly await your verdict. Seem easy to install too. No pressing in place is a plus. FF also make some nice shift ***** (not for your car of course). If you find a website for them please post. I'm curious as to what else they offer.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor
I'll eagerly await your verdict. Seem easy to install too. No pressing in place is a plus. FF also make some nice shift ***** (not for your car of course). If you find a website for them please post. I'm curious as to what else they offer.
Did some more searching and found this user review with what looks like a 987

"OK, mount inserts installed 10am this morning. Going back at 2pm to get them removed...
Like most mods, this one has some +s and some -s. To me:
+ engine is clearly more connected to the chassis! General handling feels tighter. Perhaps a very slight increase in shifter crispness, but I am running CAE Ultrashifter already, so it's hard to improve on that.
- Considerably increase in NHV - all three in fact! Vibration increase is so great that the dash rattles all the time, even while cruising on the freeway at 3000 rpm.
For me, the negatives so outweigh any positives I'm removing it and returning to stock mount. Quite an investment at $100 each way (I don't like working on a car under 15" of jack stands, period.) It's not that removing the engine mount is hard, but it's awkward. Much easier done under a lift at standing height. Also, we had to take both parts of the mount off, as it was very hard to install the inserts--had to use a vice to press them in. My tech is a 10-year dealer trained P tech, so it had nothing to do with the installer."

Might not be pulling the trigger on them after reading that

Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Did some more searching and found this user review with what looks like a 987

"OK, mount inserts installed 10am this morning. Going back at 2pm to get them removed...
Like most mods, this one has some +s and some -s. To me:
+ engine is clearly more connected to the chassis! General handling feels tighter. Perhaps a very slight increase in shifter crispness, but I am running CAE Ultrashifter already, so it's hard to improve on that.
- Considerably increase in NHV - all three in fact! Vibration increase is so great that the dash rattles all the time, even while cruising on the freeway at 3000 rpm.
For me, the negatives so outweigh any positives I'm removing it and returning to stock mount. Quite an investment at $100 each way (I don't like working on a car under 15" of jack stands, period.) It's not that removing the engine mount is hard, but it's awkward. Much easier done under a lift at standing height. Also, we had to take both parts of the mount off, as it was very hard to install the inserts--had to use a vice to press them in. My tech is a 10-year dealer trained P tech, so it had nothing to do with the installer."

Might not be pulling the trigger on them after reading that
You and me both. I welcome improved feel and performance, but rattles are a no-go!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:30 PM
As for above, would be good to know which color insert the poster used since there are 3 types. Orange = soft. Yellow = sport. Black = track. If his was black, then I can understand the issue. I would opt for orange most likely, possibly yellow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.