Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Porsche Cayman YouTube Channel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 AM
UCTeeth is an unknown quantity at this point
My Porsche Cayman YouTube Channel

Hey everyone, I've been a member of the Cayman Register and Planet 9 Forums ever since I got my Porsche Cayman about 6 months ago.

I just found out about 6speed so I decided to join (have alot of threads to catch up on )

I thought I would share with you guys the Youtube Channel I started when I got my Cayman. I knew zero about filming and editing when I first started so it has been a long hard road to learning how to produce content. I am still not too good at it honestly, but I am working on it.

Here is a link to my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/UCSFTeeth

and below are some videos that seem to get alot of views:

(Controversial Cayman Mods)

(Assumptions of a Porsche Owner)

(718 vs Naturally Aspirated Cayman Debate)

Thanks, and please provide any feedback you guys have positive or negative it all helps!

Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 PM
PNug is on a distinguished road
UCTeeth, nice car!
I tried to watch your first video about "which cayman..." and didn't get far before I came across a couple of big factual errors. The 987.2s go from 2009-2012 and don't have an "improved" IMS bear like the 987.1. They have no IMS at all. They do have extra oil pickups to help with the oil starvation issue the earlier 987.1 have on long high G turns on the track and direct fuel injection. Glad to see you are excited about your car but you need to do a little more homework before you go public with advice. The IMS on a Cayman is not the same as the earlier 986 & 996 and is not an issue with 987.1 Cayman. Posting videos like this on sites that are filled with guys that have way more knowledge than myself and decades of ownership of Porsches is just asking receive comments that are less cordial.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
UCTeeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PNug
UCTeeth, nice car!
I tried to watch your first video about "which cayman..." and didn't get far before I came across a couple of big factual errors. The 987.2s go from 2009-2012 and don't have an "improved" IMS bear like the 987.1. They have no IMS at all. They do have extra oil pickups to help with the oil starvation issue the earlier 987.1 have on long high G turns on the track and direct fuel injection. Glad to see you are excited about your car but you need to do a little more homework before you go public with advice. The IMS on a Cayman is not the same as the earlier 986 & 996 and is not an issue with 987.1 Cayman. Posting videos like this on sites that are filled with guys that have way more knowledge than myself and decades of ownership of Porsches is just asking receive comments that are less cordial.

Hey man first of all thanks alot for taking the time to watch and providing feedback. Its definitely hard being a new youtuber and any criticism is welcome.

A couple of things though. I said the 987.2 came with a couple of improvement specifically with the IMS issue. I didn't say they made a better IMS bearing I meant that they took care of the issue the IMS bearing was causing. Sorry for the confusion.

Unfortunately the 987.1 cayman does have an Intermediate Bearing Shaft, I don't know why you don't think it has one, but Porsche did keep it up until 2008 for the Cayman. Now it is a very rare issue among the Caymans for them to fail like it would happen with the 986 boxsters, but still an issue that it had. The local PCA guys say that it happens mostly with cars that weren't driven enough and would happen early on in the life of the cayman if it happened at all.

Now I do know about the oil starvation issues, but for the sake of the video I kept stuff short and concise.

I realized I messed up the year by one year on the 987.2 after I hit publish on the video sorry about that.

Thanks again for commenting and thank you for watching!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM
PNug is on a distinguished road
If you do your research on your Cayman and try and find an actual documented IMS bearing failure you'll be looking for a very long time. Cause, they don't exist. The information you got from your local PCA guys shows that they don't know what they are talking about with regards to a "Cayman". If it happens early on to cars that are not driven regularly where are the failures. There are thousands of 987.1 Caymans out there and no one on websites complaining about how their IMS bearing went out so how can it be an issue. Cause some guys in a parking lot on Saturday morning at a PCA told you so? The IMS is one of those things guys throughout there as to show they are in the know about Porsches. We can go back and forth on the matter but unless you can find at least two dozen Caymans or 07-09 Boxsters (M97 engines) with IMS failures out of the thousands that are out on the road. How can you say it's an issue? The only thing you do by talking about it is lower the value your car and lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

Saying there was an improvement with the IMS bearing is kind of saying it has an IMS. What would have been a better line would have been talking about the DFI and other improvements.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Subscribed! Been debating documenting daily life with my 981 as well. So far I just have 1 video -_-

Keep up the grind!!

Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
At least this is generating some Boxster/Cayman chat. I can look at this forum every week and count the new posts on one hand.

The forum for my 2016 Ford Focus RS daily driver gets more posts in an hour than here in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Steve997S; 01-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
The only mod I ever considered in owning 3 987s ('08 RS60, '11 Spyder, '12 R) and 1 981 Cayman S was the IPD plenum with larger throttle body (+ free flowing filter). I'm still curious as to what real world benefits are gained (not interested in a graph if I can't feel it).

Aside from ditching the OEM tires in favor of Bridgestone RE-11s, I was 100% satisfied with everything about the cars and prefer to leave box stock. All of the fore mentioned had PSE which I think sounds far better than aftermarket (which I had on 1 of my 997s). If I were to mod, I would look to Porsche parts first. But in case of things like shift cable failures, I would go aftermarket.

Last edited by Steve997S; 01-07-2017 at 09:23 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.