Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 718 buyer, some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Dpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to behold
Potential 718 buyer, some questions

Hello, I have been looking hard at the cayman S recently online, and drove one as well. What a car! I had a couple of questions I forgot to ask the salesperson and hoped you folks could help.

1) Is navigation standard on these cars or do you need the optional navigation module?

2) Is the connect plus option with the Wifi helpful and worth it?

3) For those that have a manual trannny, how do you like it and do you feel the performance is any different?

4) After speaking with some porsche salespeople, it seems the 718 is not selling as well as they had hoped. What have you heard?

5) What kind of discounts should I try/expect to get on a new one?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dpm7471
Hello, I have been looking hard at the cayman S recently online, and drove one as well. What a car! I had a couple of questions I forgot to ask the salesperson and hoped you folks could help.

1) Is navigation standard on these cars or do you need the optional navigation module?

2) Is the connect plus option with the Wifi helpful and worth it?

3) For those that have a manual trannny, how do you like it and do you feel the performance is any different?

4) After speaking with some porsche salespeople, it seems the 718 is not selling as well as they had hoped. What have you heard?

5) What kind of discounts should I try/expect to get on a new one?

My 2nd hand info is the new 718 models are not selling all that well but I have no hard facts, do not know what the supply is. Generally a 30 day supply is considered kind of bad, bad as in the car is not selling very well. (I bought a 2001 Camaro Z28 when GM had a 200 day supply. Got a $27K car for $22K. Unfortunately I realized too late there was a reason GM had a 200 day supply of these cars. Got rid of the car after just 4 months, 28K miles. Was not a bad car, I had no problems with it, the Camaro then was just an outdated design/platform.)

For a discount I can remember back in early (April) 2009 Porsche had discounted new but left over 2008 Caymans and Boxsters considerably. I picked up a new 2008 Cayman S that had a sticker price of $62.6K that the *dealer* had marked down (probably with help from Porsche) to $50.6K, a discount of $12K.

While I don't expect the 718's to undergo a similar discount because the next year's models are not out yet look at the build tag in the door jam and see when the car was built. If it was months ago there is a good chance you can pick the car up for less. (Back in Jan. 2002 I shopped and found new Boxster that was built back in Oct. 2001 and negotiated a price of $43K vs. the sticker price of $47K or around $4K under sticker.)

Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
It seems the 981 wasn't ready for the end of its life cycle and now there's a 718, which isn't much different aside from the motor. I can believe sales aren't that great. But if you want new what else is there? I'm sure Porsche will lease plenty. Not sure I'd want to own one. The only thing exciting is Miami blue.

Whenever I configure a new Boxster S it comes up to around the price of my Spyder and that makes zero sense.

Last edited by Steve997S; 02-26-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 AM
Dpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to behold
Just my 2 cents here....

The new 718 has many improvements over the 981 including suspension and brakes from the 911 on the S model, a more powerful engine, more torque, better interior, etc...

I've read and heard that some of the 981 owners feel the sound of their cars were better...maybe so, but dang, with the sport exhaust, the 718 sounds freaking awesome.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Some answers:
1 - Nav is an extra cost option. Pretty amazing as expensive as these cars are, but pretty much everything is an option.
2 - This was not available on the 091 that I own, so can't help you on this one. Over the long haul, is probably worthwhile.
3 - I have a manual on my 981 GTS and love it. It us ultimately not a fast as a PDK, but shifts are smooth as butter. If you get the Sport Chronno option, it will rev match on downshifts for you automatically.
4 - If you look at the monthly Porsche sales figures that are posted, all Porsche sports car sales are down, including the 718. As Marc so correctly points out, it really depends on demand and supply if you are going to buy one off the lot. There is another thread here where 8 percent was mentioned as a discount. If you are going to special order, you will not get that much discount.

Also noted above, if I was going to buy a 718, the sport exhaust would be mandatory.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
It is winter... not the best time for a convertible... that might be part of it? I just picked up a 981 S because I wanted the flat 6 and got a heck of a deal on a barely broken in one. Everything I've heard about the 718 is good however, so if that's what you're into, go for it.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
It is winter... not the best time for a convertible... that might be part of it? I just picked up a 981 S because I wanted the flat 6 and got a heck of a deal on a barely broken in one. Everything I've heard about the 718 is good however, so if that's what you're into, go for it.
Winter may not be the best time for a convertible but it can be a good time to buy one. Bought my 2002 Boxster in Jan. 2002 with inches of snow on the ground. Car parked in the dealer's underground garage with about a bazillion other cars. Until I followed the salesman to the garage I didn't even know it existed.

Not a convertible but a 2 door hatchback but I bought my 2002 Golf TDi at a discount from sticker in March 2002 again with inches of snow on the ground, more inches this time believe it or not than in Jan 2002 and the VW dealer just across I-35 from the Porsche dealer. (Both dealers in Merriam KS.)

Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Wound up sealing a deal today on a new 718 S model. Black/black equipped nicely. The dealer gave me the car at invoice (10% back of MSRP). BTW, this dealership is being sold and are doing big discounts on the remaining inventory. If your in the market for a cayman, give them a call. Here is the info:

Porsche of Fayetteville, NC ..ask for Greg Dudak (manager) or Robert Lee (salesperson). 910-487-0000.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Congrats on a great car at a good price point. Now, its time to post some pictures!

Where are you in NC?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
I'm in Fayetteville. I pick up the car this weekend. I'll post some pics soon...

Old 03-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Reads like you did very well.

Looking forward to the pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.