Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one to buy?
GT3
41.18%
GT4
58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

GT3 vs. GT4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM
DailyGT is an unknown quantity at this point
GT3 vs. GT4?

Hello everyone,

I'm Mohammed from Kuwait. I have always been a Porsche fan but havent been following up with the latest models. My first sports car was a 1996 Carrera 4s 993. It was gorgeous recaro bucket seats and a turbo wing. I bought it used in 1999 and sold it a couple of years afterwards (big mistake!). Since then, I've owned a Jaguar XKR, Viper GTS, BMW M5 and latest a BMW M2. A couple of weeks ago I was at a track day/time Attack event and got a chance to try out a Porsche GT4 and instantly fell in love with it. I sold my M2 and about to pull the trigger on one. Meanwhile, there's a GT3 that came up for sale at almost the same price as the GT4. I realize this sounds like a no brainer but please hear me out.

-The GT4 only has 10,000km on it vs 60,000km on the GT3.
-The GT4 is a 2016 model with plenty of warranty left while the GT3 is from 2014 and I might be able to pay to renew the warranty for another year.
-Both come with carbon seats and have a small roll cage.
-While I do prefer a manual, my wife would be able to drive the GT3 every once in a while (no this is actually a positive point ).
-I love the fact that the GT4 is a mid engine and is a beast on track but I also love the history behind the 911.
-The GT4 is a perfect car for me but I can't get over the 9k rpm on the GT3 and boy does it sound good.

If they were both within the same mileage and manual, I would of probably gone with the GT3. But now, I'm really not sure. Maybe leaning more towards the GT4.

What are your thoughts? Oh and I posted in the Cayman section because I'm leaning towards the GT4 to be honest, just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
GT4 in a heart beat. Very special. Very rare. Perhaps never to be explored by Porsche again. Plus used ones sell for thousands more than when new. This car will always be in high demand. It's not just the next GT3.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Easy GT3 100 times over.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM
mmmmm is on a distinguished road
lol 2 responses, 2 different answers. good luck you won't go wrong with either

Old 03-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I drove a GT4 for the first time after driving many GT3's over the last 3 years with Fabspeed and the GT4 has my vote. I personally think it is the best "drivers" car currently being produced.

Not to mention, one has a very useful third pedal

Old 03-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
I drove a GT4 for the first time after driving many GT3's over the last 3 years with Fabspeed and the GT4 has my vote. I personally think it is the best "drivers" car currently being produced.
Except it's not currently being produced. Get one (used) while you can!

Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Except it's not currently being produced. Get one (used) while you can!
Very true, and very sad! The 718 is mighty capable but the GT4 is so special, so raw, so refined with its perfectly high strung naturally aspirated engine it will be hard to capture that feeling again.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Very true, and very sad! The 718 is mighty capable but the GT4 is so special, so raw, so refined with its perfectly high strung naturally aspirated engine it will be hard to capture that feeling again.
Personally I don't think we'll ever see a GT4/Spyder again, that's as raw and visceral. These are one offs. Hard to believe Porsche let the world have a 911 beater. So glad they did.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Former Vendor
Personally I don't think we'll ever see a GT4/Spyder again, that's as raw and visceral. These are one offs. Hard to believe Porsche let the world have a 911 beater. So glad they did.
Only time will tell and while I do not disagree with you, I have heard some rumors of a 4.0L GT4 RS in the pipeline and I'd love to see that! I too am very glad they released these beasts and I think most of the forum members are on our side as well

Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Only time will tell and while I do not disagree with you, I have heard some rumors of a 4.0L GT4 RS in the pipeline and I'd love to see that! I too am very glad they released these beasts and I think most of the forum members are on our side as well
GT4 RS would be awesome. They would all pre-sell, so you might see one being delivered. The 4.0 could be the last big NA flat 6. Times are changing.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
GT4 RS would be awesome. They would all pre-sell, so you might see one being delivered. The 4.0 could be the last big NA flat 6. Times are changing.
Words would not even be able to describe a 4.0 GT4 Our package can get the 3.8 to 400hp with bolt ons so a 4.0 really gets me excited!

You're correct, times are changing BUT I think Porsche at least tries to listen to their customers. They put the a manual gearbox from the 911 R into the 2018 GT3 so maybe they will keep listening

Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 AM
DailyGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you all, I went ahead with the GT4 and I'm really happy with my decision. Only issue is the bucket seats are not the most comfortable for daily driving. They're comfortable but getting in and out when I'm wearing formal and have my pockets full is a pain. Looking to trade them and have already posted a classified ad.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by DailyGT
Thank you all, I went ahead with the GT4 and I'm really happy with my decision. Only issue is the bucket seats are not the most comfortable for daily driving. They're comfortable but getting in and out when I'm wearing formal and have my pockets full is a pain. Looking to trade them and have already posted a classified ad.
Congrats! Between those two particular cars the obvious choice. I had the GT2 seats in my Cayman R. Once you're in them it's less of an issue but getting in and out is a pain, and I'm thin. They look super cool but I prefer to not live with them. My Spyder has sport seats as opposed to those 918 seats. Thankfully! I'm sure someone will scoop them up. Lot of pretenders out there. Got pics of the car?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor
Congrats!

+1 for pics of the car, can't wait to see it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.