Importing a car from CA ... anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
crazydude is on a distinguished road
Question Importing a car from CA ... anyone done it?

Has anyone here driven a car back from California before? What were the license plate / temp reg laws? Did you have to pay CA taxes? I understand the process of driving it across the boarder ... I am mostly curious to hear what all efforts you had to get temp reg in CA etc.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Some information in this forum link
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...try-buyer.html

Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
thx ...

I was thinking of arranging a tow truck to pick up the car... drive it down the end of the block, drop off the car to me... and then slap on my alberta plate and head for Canada.

Some risks involved...

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
LexMix is on a distinguished road
i tried that, problem is when u get your insurance or tmp insurance, they ask for VIN# and see that its not registered in Canada yet

Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 AM
I wouldnt be getting tmp reg... I would gamble not being pulled over and use my alberta plates all the way home.

Temp insurance would be had before I flew there...my insurance company has no problems giving me insurance for a week for free.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LexMix
i tried that, problem is when u get your insurance or tmp insurance, they ask for VIN# and see that its not registered in Canada yet
I never had a problem getting temp insurance even though it wasn't registered yet. I could have driven the car back from Ohio but had it trailered.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
911 James is on a distinguished road
PM sent

Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
LexMix is on a distinguished road
I'm saying when u get insurance wether its tmp or not they need the vin # right? And with the vin # they see where the car is registered or located last. You need to have US residency to get a US PLATE, and is your from Canada or anywhere else you get a tmp Tag. I got my car private and the guy was willing to give me his plate, but i didnt take it cuz if i got pulled over the registration would'nt match my name.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LexMix
I'm saying when u get insurance wether its tmp or not they need the vin # right? And with the vin # they see where the car is registered or located last. You need to have US residency to get a US PLATE, and is your from Canada or anywhere else you get a tmp Tag. I got my car private and the guy was willing to give me his plate, but i didnt take it cuz if i got pulled over the registration would'nt match my name.
AB insurance companies will insure any car, anywhere in North America, provided you have a bill of sale and, if from the US, a signed-off clear title.

Crazy Dude - you can use either your AB plate or the Cali plate that's on the car (if there is one) as long as the 'tags' are up to date. You want to ensure you have the physical (clear) title with you, signed over to you from the previous owner and your proof of insurance from your AB insurance company.

Once in Canada, it is generally easier to have an AB plate on the car, as long as you have a copy of your previous registration and it is current.

When you pick up the car, as a Canadian resident, there should be NO reason to pay CA sales tax and therefore, no need for you to hire a tow truck.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i just bought a 911 from utah and used my plate from my g35. no one asked me any questions or troubled me.. i didnt even get any sort of in transit permit. i did of course insure the car before i bought it and brought the temporary insurance card with me.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
GE911 is on a distinguished road
I can deff. help if you want to email me your phone number. I import alot of vehicles into Canada. Always happy to help out a member at no charge,

Thanks,

Geoff

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
mmmatrix is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by crazydude
thx ...

I was thinking of arranging a tow truck to pick up the car... drive it down the end of the block, drop off the car to me... and then slap on my alberta plate and head for Canada.

Some risks involved...

I took the risk.... Bought a Binder of Insurance from ICBC, Car had Cali plates, paid a shipper to show up at the dealer with me to give a bill of landing showing it was going out of state to skip CA taxes... ... then drove it home.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM
wa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to behold
I imported my 911 C2S last Feb from Livermore California. Pretty simple...I was told by the dealer...if you drive it off the lot (yes even that little distance) you have to pay 9.75% CA sales tax. This wouldn't be so bad except that when you get to Canada you get to pay that tax all over again with GST, Duty, Luxury Tax. Not sure about a private sale though.

I had a covered carrier pick mine up at the dealer, drop it at a storage location on the other side of the border while I got the paperwork in order. Once that was done...I just showed up with my binder policy, paperwork, and bought a temporary plate in Washington Stae and drove it home.

If you like I can share all my experience with you...call or PM me for details. I'm very comfortable with the process and while I was initially quite nervous about it all...I'd do it again in a minute.