Temporary stay in BC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
Temporary stay in BC

I’m going to be living in BC with my girlfriend and have some questions in regards to bringing my vehicle with me.

As it stands right now I shouldn’t be in BC for more than a year and even then I’ll only be there part time at best, as I work in an entirely different part of the world.

Will I have to register the vehicle in BC if I don’t technically reside there? Or can I maintain my VA registration? Also, how will that go over with my insurance company?

My idea on it is that since I’m neither looking for work, nor going to school there, it’s like an extended vacation in terms of staying in Canada. I'll physically be there for less than 5 months out of the total year. So my car will stay there while I'll fly in and out of Canada.

Please share your thoughts and experiences with me. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
Anyone?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM
dw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud of
My car insurance guy can tell you what you need to do. His name is Albert and his number is 604-312-8279. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DorianGrayFFM
I’m going to be living in BC with my girlfriend and have some questions in regards to bringing my vehicle with me.

As it stands right now I shouldn’t be in BC for more than a year and even then I’ll only be there part time at best, as I work in an entirely different part of the world.

Will I have to register the vehicle in BC if I don’t technically reside there? Or can I maintain my VA registration? Also, how will that go over with my insurance company?

My idea on it is that since I’m neither looking for work, nor going to school there, it’s like an extended vacation in terms of staying in Canada. I'll physically be there for less than 5 months out of the total year. So my car will stay there while I'll fly in and out of Canada.

Please share your thoughts and experiences with me. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
I would start with contacting YOUR insurance provider and see IF they could keep it insured while you are in B.C.!
I know for travelling,I can buy insurance,from my provider,for out of country.......you may be able to do the same because IF you want insurance here in B.C.,I would guess that you need to register the car and that would mean paying taxes and fees associated with doing that.The fees are NOT cheap!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
quattrogeek is on a distinguished road
Hey Dorian, i lived in Alexandria VA and worked in DC for 4 years....originally from Vancouver. From my experience going to VA i was able to keep my BC plates and reg for the first 90 days after which i had to register my ride in VA. I believe you'll have to do the same once you take up residence in BC.

This is unless of course you are a student/or vacationing, then you can roll around on your VA plates in BC for the duration of your studies/stay. My only caution here is that you should still find out about the 90 day limit.

My wife studied in DC for 4 years during the same period and i remember she rolled around with BC plates for the first year (afterwhich she bought a new car).

Hit me up if you have any questions or concerns....

btw: what part of VA are you from?

Last edited by quattrogeek; 06-05-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
@dwmetro, justatoy

Thanks for the heads up, everyone and mea culpa for not coming back to this thread sooner!

I spoke to my insurance company and since I won't be seeking residency there I'm getting a Canadian Insurance ID Card that states I'm covered etc.

As for the duration of stay, it appears that I can make multiple entries and exits (which I will do every 30-60 days based on my work) without hassle.

Thanks for the help!

@QuattroGeek - I actually live in DC right now but will be moving my belongings into a storage in the nearby VA area (Arlington, Fairfax etc) in early August before heading up there. Really looking forward to BC. I love that Province.