Alberta Justice considering seizing cars for 50k over!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
ShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud of
Post Alberta Justice considering seizing cars for 50k over!

Hey folks,

I heard on the radio yesterday that the Province is considering legislation to allow the seizure of vehicles that are more than 50km/hr over the posted limit.
This is in response to the serious heavy truck speeding problem up north that kills people regularly.

If you don't want to lose your car for going 160km/hr on a flat dry stretch of highway, you should do something about it.

I sent an email to the Justice Minister with the following content. Do what you want but if we do nothing we can look forward to Alison Redford hunting down and seizing (stealing) some fine automobiles.
TO:Office of the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General
Jonathan Denis, QC
ministryofjustice@gov.ab.ca
Phone: 780-427-2339

Good afternoon Mr Denis,
I am writing to you in response to a news story I heard yesterday regarding ways to curb the frequent speeding that takes place on our northern highways. The broadcaster mentioned that the Alberta Ministry of Justice was considering tabling legislation to seize vehicles that speed 50km/hr in excess of the posted limit.

I'm not sure if this report is accurate but feel that the province taking private property from citizens sets a bad precedent and smacks of the behavior of politicians in Ontario (where I have never lived, thank Heavens!).

Think about the individuals in those trucks that speed so regularly up north. They can make enough money in a single month to replace a truck, but they cannot drive for their companies if they have no license. I would like to suggest changing the demerit system to drastically increase the number of demerits assigned to drivers who speed in excess of 50km/hr over the limit and even 75km/hr over.

This would cause drivers to think twice before speeding at those levels as with one or two of these tickets they would lose their license (and possibly their jobs). I also heard and was encouraged that the level of policing in these areas is to be increased with Alberta Sheriff support.
Flame me if you want, but sometimes I feel the need for speed and don't want to lose my car over it!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
You feel a need to exceed the speed limit on shared, public roads by over 50km/hr?

If this worries you, and nothing personal, but I would say then that the law is doing exactly what it's intended to do.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
Op, thanks for your post.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
In BC they can seize and retain the car for 7 days at 40k over the limit. If caught "racing" they can and have seized the cars and sold them off!

John in Vancouver

Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
50km over is a bit much for public roads. But, don't we already have a bunch of serious laws that cover that? Dangerous driving etc?

The Street Racing law is alive and well in Ontario and its basically a witch hunt. If you read the statute it's such a piece of crap law that has a ton of loop holes. Basically it gives the cops the right to give one person a ticket for 30k over and if you are a guy in a hot car you get 'street racing' for the same offense.

I have been pulled over and harassed on a long weekend for "suspected racing" because I was driving with my friend (I'm in an Aston, he's in a V10 R8). My brother is passenger in my car, his young son is passenger in the other car. Sound like racing to you?

Anyway, our law gives cops an incentive to pull over the car that is gonna make them the hero. If the law is tight and universally applied (like everyone that does 50k over, that's fine. If its a lose witch hunt, fight it.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
RadAlt is on a distinguished road
Strife, I'd agree with you in a perfect world. Where speed limits are based something other than someone's idea of what is safe. Speeding is not the root cause of speed related accidents, it's an initial cause. Addressing the root cause is not often done because (IMO) it takes significant resources and may not be an easy sell. Much easier (and much less effective) is to address an initial cause (reduce and enforce a lower limit), and it's an easy sell...run some ads on tv, show some pictures of accidents and say "speed kills". The seed is planted, the idea is sold. If we ask why are people speeding, we'll get to the solution. ......anyway, I saw on the news that BC govt. is saying speed related fatalities are down due to this new 40k over law. Don't buy it, it's just a spin of the numbers.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
alwaysideways is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Snowczar
In BC they can seize and retain the car for 7 days at 40k over the limit. If caught "racing" they can and have seized the cars and sold them off!

John in Vancouver

This

OP dont stress too much until they start selling your stuff off.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM
ShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alwaysideways
This

OP dont stress too much until they start selling your stuff off.
Thanks. I'm just trying to be proactive as these kinds of ideas get momentum in government and can be very difficult to change later.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
I also saw on our Local News last night is that Alberta is going to Impose Heavy Fines on "Loud" Cars... True? whats the Scoop?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 AM
quattrogeek is on a distinguished road
Our speed limits are completely outdated...and frankly "public safety" is just a banner to mask and impose harsher penalities and collect more dollars from the public. I can't see any good reason as to why the gov't feels it necessary to seize private property from citizens, a simple ticket or at most the seizure of a drivers license should serve as a preventative measure in removing bad drivers from our roads. These driving laws are draconian, and frankly if safety was/is a concern then we shouldn't be able to walk into any local dodge, ford or chev showroom and buy ourselves a 650hp viper, gt 500 or zr1. One can make the argument that its the equivalent of selling a gun to a 5 year old.

Our federal and provincial gov'ts should be concentrating resources on improving our highway infrastructure, creating tougher standards to obtaining a drivers licenses, and getting people and goods around a lot faster.

Last edited by quattrogeek; 08-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:11 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I asked cops at speed traps if they truly thought the public was being put at risk by my 15 kms over on an empty street b

They said yes, so I asked why they hid their cars, so I could do the speed and be caught? If safety was the primary concern, would the world not be safer if they parked their car in plain sight so I would never speed in the first place?

The truth is they want a certain amount of us to speed so they can make the money. If we all just stopped speeding the government would lose too much money.

50 kms over is a different thing altogether. The additional 50 kms an hour means you are covering another 44 feet per second, at 150 kph that's around 132 feet per second.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM
quattrogeek is on a distinguished road
Agree^....adding to that, lets not forget that today's modern automobile is packed with technology and safety features that were unimaginable going back a few decades. Modern cars accelerate, brake, handle, and set new precedents in vehicle safety standards. Our gov't demands that manufacturers meet these standards to stay in business, yet our motor vehicle laws do very little to reflect that change. The dollars they stand to lose should they amend the motor vehicle act is the reason no gov't will ever take a progressive stand and why we will continue to face harsh penalities should we choose to drive over the speed limit.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Turbo Singh is on a distinguished road
I recently got ticketed for speeding in Van, I was doing 71km in a 60 zone. Haha. First ticket in like 7 years. The funny thing is that there were a handful of cars passing me and doing at least 80, but I got pulled over. The officer outright said that he was watching me and only me.....sometimes I just shake my head at law enforcement.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
RadAlt is on a distinguished road
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local.../20082766.html

I don't condone the speeding. But I really can't stand how drivers are demonized.

"reckless road racing...recklessly driving...pushing the boundaries...terrorized by a pack of racing cars...They don’t care about others on the road".

Look for another draconian measure coming to a law enforcement agency near you.