Targa Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Targa Newfoundland

Has anyone done this?

It looks exciting, I was interested in joining as part of the Fast Tour, but the 130 kmh maximum speed is not sitting well with me.

I know that's plenty fast on a slippery side road, but on a straight?? My car will hit that speed in no time. I feel like its a long way to travel and a lot of money to hit speeds minivans do on the 401.

Perhaps the terrain makes this MORE than fast enough. Perhaps there are few places that would require more.

Has anyone one it? Am I wrong???

Is it worth the cash? 5k plus is a whole lotta track days.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
bentlink is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by black penguin
Has anyone done this?

It looks exciting, I was interested in joining as part of the Fast Tour, but the 130 kmh maximum speed is not sitting well with me.

I know that's plenty fast on a slippery side road, but on a straight?? My car will hit that speed in no time. I feel like its a long way to travel and a lot of money to hit speeds minivans do on the 401.

Perhaps the terrain makes this MORE than fast enough. Perhaps there are few places that would require more.

Has anyone one it? Am I wrong???

Is it worth the cash? 5k plus is a whole lotta track days.
I have done Targa Tasmania and Targa New Zealand (both of these are what Newfoundland is patterned on -- and are the world's largest tarmac rallies). Newfoundland is next on my bucket list. But my buddy (who I did the other two events with) has done them all several times and loves them all.

Note, that the Fast Tour is limited in speed by liability / insurance issues -- so regular cars without safety gear can enter and typically people still have a lot of fun. It is a good way to try it. Whether it is worth the entry fee? Many feel it is, and after doing it, simply put it right back on their bucket list -- and many choose to move up to the fast class.

So the speed limit issue is a contraint of insurance/safety, versus trying to limit fun -- certainly not vehicle limitations. But the "special stages" of closed roads are the twistiest roads available, so still quite fun to drive at a good pace -- without cops and commuters. And with much lower risk to vehicle and occupants.

The other entry "class" is the pointy end of the event: full competition... though cars need to have a full 6 pt cage, race seats, harnesses, etc. so costs and commitment are much higher. And there is a real risk of damaging your car... the old adage about "the red mist" of competition clouding all normal judgment is so true

But Targa is the most incredible adventure I have ever done... and I would do any of the Targas again -- and Newfoundland is next on my list!

Check out the various YouTube videos for the drama and great mix of cars -- though note most of these are the full competition class.

You should be able to find some recent write ups in Road&Track, EurpeanCar etc. also for an overview.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Here's a recent video from vividracing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lC8LB4BhHk

And a nice forum thread with lots of pics and vids (and they were in the 130kph "Fast Tour" btw): https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1-turbo-s.html

Last edited by bentlink; 02-20-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
thanks

Thanks. I have been in contact with Dan at Vivid Racing. Great guy and very willing to give advice

If i do the Targa, I'm going to do the same Fast Tour class they did. But I will be most like doing it in an Audi R8 V10.

Other options include a race prepped (full caged Cayman S PDK), or maybe even a Z4M. All three of these cars are not obvious Rally choices. But I need a car I will track the rest of the time.

I already own an R8 V10, so it is best to consider that car.

I will need skid plates. Any thoughts on vendors or construction out there?

Perhaps a set of coil overs? Ground clearance is an issue.

A GMG roll bar and harness kit?

Any other thoughts out there?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
You are on the correct path, though worthwhile considering how you drive -- as in how hard you push and/or how competitive you are. In particular since you are in the Fast Tour (vs full speed competition).

Re finding a shop with prep knowledge: experience in non-track racing in these Targas is the key requirement, since it is essentially tarmac rallying AND endurance racing... must build for a variety of poor to medium quality of road engineering (eg off-camber, sudden transitions changing streets), and then the condition of surface pavement varies (some of it is in disrepair, frost heaves, broken shoulder if you cut, etc.).

Bash plates a good consideration, though one of the important things seems to be discipline in avoiding the "red mist" ... If there are crowds of people and pro photographers eagerly waiting... listen to the inner voice that says "Don't go for BIG airtime over this yump!" After all, you want to finish.

Approach angles is another consideration, though you may be fine as long as it is roughly stock ride height and stock front lower lip spoiler.

(The Porsches have a well-designed and flexible polyurethane lower lip -- and it is cheap/easy to replace... but I don't know about the R8 front lip.)

In Targa Tasmania, Jason White races a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 at the pointy-end of the competition, and these cars are low for total clearance and approach angle. For fun, check Jason racing on a Special Stage in Targa Tas (2012):

I will PM you -- have a few contacts to share that may be helpful.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
PM Sent.

By the way, very nice garage of vehicles!

I was at Daytona recently for the Rolex 24... and there was NOTHING that sounded as good as the Aston Martin's at wide open throttle. Cool that TRG is dedicated to running some now (if you happen to follow Grand Am).

Anyway, the other two choices you mentioned (Cayman S PDK or a Z4M) are both solid choices for tarmac rally: lots of them racing in Targa Tasmania and New Zealand.

The Cayman S with PDK would be my choice (bias admitted) -- in part due to a fair bit of Cayman race development via the likes of Napleton Porsche and Bullet Racing -- who came in 1st & 2nd in the new GX category.

But back to your R8 -- beautiful car and the all-wheel drive would be nice to have, since Targa is rain, shine or hurricane! I will dig up some photos I have of the Audi R8's from Targa Tas & NZ: PM me email if interested.

Last edited by bentlink; 02-21-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the PM and all your advice. I used to have a Boxster S and I loved the way it drove. The Cayman S would be my choice too.

I have found one at BGB racing that would be a great choice. It has a full cage, fire suppression etc. it's road legal in the States, but I need to do some research to see if it would be in Canada too.

I'm really considering doing it in the R8. It's such a fun car to drive and others that have done it claim that car would be great there. Besides track use is why I bought the car in the first place.

It's not that low at the front. Not like the V12. Vantage. That thing is very low. It would get very beat up.

Thanks for the kind words on the garage. The R8 is a fantastic car. Ver, very capable. But the V12 Vantage is actually more of a beast. Not as fast, but more stirring.

I think partially due to that sound. It is a symphony.

Last edited by black penguin; 02-21-2013 at 09:06 PM.