Garage Economics and the Future of Technicians

Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Khizer is on a distinguished road
Garage Economics and the Future of Technicians

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys if it is profitable in opening an independent German workshop servicing Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles in this dwindling economy near the Kipling GO Station.

The Future of Technicians
While working at numerous dealerships and garages over the years, I have yet to meet well off technicians. Only successful car industry professionals I see are sales and finance guys. Even independent garage owners are just getting buy, working numerous hours and barely making ends meet.

The average salary of a Porsche Technician at a Porsche dealership is $40,000-50,000 and that is if you are in cohoots with the service manager to give you the good jobs as they only get paid by the job that comes in. (this figure comes from numerous friends who have worked in Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes and BMW dealerships).

Are there any successful technicians out there willing to comment on where they see the industry heading?

I would like to invest in a small independent garage with a pool investment from skilled technicians I know, who have each 30+ years experience, but after seeing many garages fail I am double-minded, and also I see all these skilled technicians not getting by also worries me.

Is it wise investing into a small garage in this economic climate or should I look into investing my money into other ventures outside the car industry?

Last edited by Khizer; 01-17-2015 at 10:22 AM.