Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

4 Quarts in 4k Miles!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 AM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
It's fairly well known that Mobil1 will shear down to a 30 weight oil. Pushing that much power and with a heavy foot, your consumption sounds on par. My suggestion would be to leave Mobil products unless it's an HDEO oil like Delvac. Redline 5W-40 is an ester based fluid, and probably one of the heavier 40 weights out there. Shell T6 is also a great fluid, even if it is only a group III oil. Motul Excess, Amsoil, Redline, Delvac, Mobil Turbo Diesel - all great oils that will be much more shear stable than standard Mobil1 0W40.

Porsche doesn't recommend Mobil1 because it's the best fluid, they recommend it because they probably got a great discount from Mobil on using it, and it met their specs.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
There are 70 different brands of oil that are approved for use.

Amsoil and Redline products do not appear on the list.

My suggestion would be to use any oil on the list and change it frequently.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Porsche Approved Oils 2013.pdf (107.0 KB, 1614 views)

Last edited by Bigbuzuki; 04-16-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
For one - that list is for the US and ROW. Many of those oils we can't get.

It also notes that it's for all porsche years 1984 and newer. Yet, that list lacks just about any oil with high ZDDP such as Valvoline VR1, Brad Penn, and Mobil1 V-twin - which most of the air-cooled cars need given their flat tappet motor design. That's 14 years of air-cooled motors. Good luck convincing an air-cooled guy to only use oils listed on the approval list. According to my receipts, a top-end job is $7K for an air-cooled 911. You'll get there much faster using a modern oil with lower ZDDP levels. In fact, that list doesn't have a single 50 weight oil. I can't think of a single knowledgable driver that would recommend M1 0W40 (it's on the list) for an air-cooled guy going to the track, or living in a hot southern state.

You're welcomed to blindly follow the porsche approval list, but for the rest of the folks looking to make an informed decision (whether they are tracking, towing, or just wish for more protection) - you'd be wise to actually do your research.

Redline, Amsoil, M1 TDT, Shell T6, Mobil Delvac - all great oils that are more shear stable than M1 0W40, and all oils not on the approval list. I'm not advocating for paying $15 a qt for the best oil you can buy when all you do is commute with your car, but when I'm towing 5K pounds up a mountain in 90 degree weather, I sure as **** won't be using M1 because it's on the approval list over something far more robust - like any of the fluids listed above. Changing it frequently doesn't do anything for me when the oil thins in high temps, and that has nothing to do with change interval.

http://lnengineering.com/resources/2...s-racing-oils/

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
An informed decision is based on approved data.

You too are free to use other type of oils if you don't like Mobil 1.

There are over 70 different types that are guaranteed not to be snake oil.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
There are 70 different brands of oil that are approved for use.

Amsoil and Redline products do not appear on the list.

My suggestion would be to use any oil on the list and change it frequently.
^ +1 - per topic, Cayennes are water cooled.