Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

wanted to replace some of the exterior bulbs, info?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
LosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sparkhill
...The LED's frequently have substantially lower resistance compared to the stock bulb triggering the "replace bulb" warning on the dash. In the end, it is pretty hard to find many good, safe, options.
I think what SH is saying, is that the aftermarket bulbs do not typically last as long, so after going through all of the trouble to replace your OEM bulbs you will most likely be replacing them sooner than later. Thus when they go out you receive "replace bulb"

Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Great information!

I just went out and pulled my mirror off to validate it worked. I have wanted to do this for months and finally got a how-to from Porsche and it was not this easy.

Now I need to decide which bulb to pick as there are a number of different options on the site listed.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by freshlysqueezed
Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum and have been reading on threads. I just bought my CTT a month a go and been tinkering around with my 06' CTT to change my original lights to LED ones and I have found some answers to some questions.

- How to change side mirror 'puddle lights' ?

The side mirror 'puddle lights' are easy to change. First make sure ur current setting is saved with ur seat memory. Push any one corner of the mirror in and then with the one corner sticking out, gently pull on it a bit and it should pop right off. There is no clips or anything holding it in, so do not worry about breaking anything, just be gentle. There are wires attached to the mirror that you pulled off, so let it rest. Inside near the bottom you can see where the light is. Just pull the socket to the left (if your working on the driver side mirror, vice versa for the other one) and then you should see the bulb in the socket. The bulb is W5W, any led bulb with the same connections on the bottom of the original bulb should work, and make sure the LED is pointing down and not straight ahead, if you want a good light, since the bulb is pointing sideways and not down.

Cheers,

Thompson

Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum and have been reading on threads. I just bought my CTT a month a go and been tinkering around with my 06' CTT to change my original lights to LED ones and I have found some answers to some questions.

- How to change side mirror 'puddle lights' ?

The side mirror 'puddle lights' are easy to change. First make sure ur current setting is saved with ur seat memory. Push any one corner of the mirror in and then with the one corner sticking out, gently pull on it a bit and it should pop right off. There is no clips or anything holding it in, so do not worry about breaking anything, just be gentle. There are wires attached to the mirror that you pulled off, so let it rest. Inside near the bottom you can see where the light is. Just pull the socket to the left (if your working on the driver side mirror, vice versa for the other one) and then you should see the bulb in the socket. The bulb is W5W, any led bulb with the same connections on the bottom of the original bulb should work, and make sure the LED is pointing down and not straight ahead, if you want a good light, since the bulb is pointing sideways and not down.

- Where to buy LEDs?

I bought mine from store.ijdmtoy.com. They ship via USPS, so it is good for USA customers. I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so it takes longer than usual. The lights are really good and bright, you can also filter bulbs that dont affect OBCs of European cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.). This is also where I got my license plate bulbs.

- How to change Static Front Cornering Lights?

In your manual there is a step by step guide on removing the headlight. It is very **** easy and very easy to do. I changed my lights in no time, I am not sure if I should go into detail, but if anyone needs help just PM me. The bulbs I ordered for the cornering lights are H3 LEDS from store.ijdmtoy.com. I am like 90% sure any bulb being replaced in the headlight wont trigger any OBC errors, but I will let you all know when I have installed the H3s. So, far I have installed DRL LEDs and they work with no OBC error and matches my headlights, so I am sure the H3s should be ok.

- How to change license plate light?

I ordered the lights from store.ijdmtoy.com, they were in the Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen section under Automaker. I have yet to receive these bulbs, so I will also let you all know how they are with the OBCs. To change them, simply grab the appropriate head screwdriver, unscrew the light housing. Pull out the housing, press the tabs where the wire connects to the house to pop it off. Pop off the lenses and then change the bulbs.

This is what I have done so far with my Cayenne and I hope this helps. I apologize for no pictures on the steps I have done. However, if anyone has a question just shoot me a PM. This is a sweet forum and I do plan on staying and visiting daily!

Cheers,

Thompson
I myself wanted to change all my exterior bulbs as I've done a similar mod to my 996. My '05 CTT is arriving next week but I already have all the bulbs prepared. I approached the mod a bit differently in that I decided to use LEDs in only a couple of things......the front park lights and the rear license plate lights.

This is how my set-up is going to be:

Bi-Xenons - 6000K D1S
High Beams - Osram Nightbreakers H7
Fogs - PIAA H11 Yellow Ion
Cornering Lights - Osram Nightbreakers H3
Front Park Lights - High-Powered LEDs with built-in resistors
Front Signal Lights - Sylvania Silverstar 7507A ST (Silver Bluish but lights up Amber)
Front Sidemarkers - InviSilver W5W (Silver but lights up Amber)
Rear Signal Lights - P21W Stealth Bulbs (Silver but lights up Amber)
Reverse Lights - Sylvania Silverstar 7506ST or Error-Free LEDs
License Plate Lights - C5W Error-Free High-Powered LEDs (from ijdmtoy)

Whatever is not mentioned remains stock.

What I like about these type of mods is that it makes the vehicle stand out at night (the LEDs & 6000K Bi-Xenons), they improve safety (the higher lumens of the Nightbreakers over standard halogens; and Yellow Fogs for bad weather conditions), improved aesthetics by removing the egg yolks (stealth bulbs), while maintaining DOT-compliance as well as no errors on the dash.

The cost of a set of these bulbs (including shipping) is between $300-$400 so it ain't cheap.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
I tried to put some LED bulbs in my side markers when I swapped in the clear ones, but the ones I tried didn't light. I'm interested to see what you find for bulbs with built in resistors.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by rsa supra
I tried to put some LED bulbs in my side markers when I swapped in the clear ones, but the ones I tried didn't light. I'm interested to see what you find for bulbs with built in resistors.
LEDs are sensitive to polarity. If it doesn't light up, turn it over. Did you try it both ways?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
freshlysqueezed is on a distinguished road
^ yea jr1966 is right, LED bulbs are ticky with polarity. A trick I do is turning on all ur lights using the switch, carefully just touching the contacts of the bulb to the contacts of the socket and not completely putting the bulb in to see which side is the correct side. After determining which side is the correct one, turn off the lights and simply put in and finish the install.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by jr1966
I myself wanted to change all my exterior bulbs as I've done a similar mod to my 996. My '05 CTT is arriving next week but I already have all the bulbs prepared. I approached the mod a bit differently in that I decided to use LEDs in only a couple of things......the front park lights and the rear license plate lights.

This is how my set-up is going to be:

Bi-Xenons - 6000K D1S
High Beams - Osram Nightbreakers H7
Fogs - PIAA H11 Yellow Ion
Cornering Lights - Osram Nightbreakers H3
Front Park Lights - High-Powered LEDs with built-in resistors
Front Signal Lights - Sylvania Silverstar 7507A ST (Silver Bluish but lights up Amber)
Front Sidemarkers - InviSilver W5W (Silver but lights up Amber)
Rear Signal Lights - P21W Stealth Bulbs (Silver but lights up Amber)
Reverse Lights - Sylvania Silverstar 7506ST or Error-Free LEDs
License Plate Lights - C5W Error-Free High-Powered LEDs (from ijdmtoy)

Whatever is not mentioned remains stock.

What I like about these type of mods is that it makes the vehicle stand out at night (the LEDs & 6000K Bi-Xenons), they improve safety (the higher lumens of the Nightbreakers over standard halogens; and Yellow Fogs for bad weather conditions), improved aesthetics by removing the egg yolks (stealth bulbs), while maintaining DOT-compliance as well as no errors on the dash.

The cost of a set of these bulbs (including shipping) is between $300-$400 so it ain't cheap.
I currently have LED DRLs and 6000k headlights. I am waiting for my H3 cornering bulbs to come in to see what the set up looks like when done, so far I like the look of it, but I also wanted to try a set up where just the headlight is 6000k and the cornering and DRL is a white light instead. I am sure this set up would bring out the headlight more and show off the 6000k much better at night.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough
Perfect thread!! My wife just bought an '08 Cayenne & I wanted to upgrade the exterior bulbs! Thanks OP for the post & to those that chimed in.

So the bulbs/companies mentioned above do not throw any error codes? I just want to make sure. Any other LED companies besides the ones mentioned?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I currently have LED DRLs and 6000k headlights. I am waiting for my H3 cornering bulbs to come in to see what the set up looks like when done, so far I like the look of it, but I also wanted to try a set up where just the headlight is 6000k and the cornering and DRL is a white light instead. I am sure this set up would bring out the headlight more and show off the 6000k much better at night.
pics when done

Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by ///M*Hershey
Perfect thread!! My wife just bought an '08 Cayenne & I wanted to upgrade the exterior bulbs! Thanks OP for the post & to those that chimed in.

So the bulbs/companies mentioned above do not throw any error codes? I just want to make sure. Any other LED companies besides the ones mentioned?
I have put LED bulbs in the side mirrors and DRLs so far and those lights typically dont trigger any OBC errors, but for the license plate lights its much trickier. Supposedly LED bulbs with 'load resistors' are the ones that dont trip the OBC, I ordered a pair off the ijdm and will let you all know how it is when its all done.....now I just gotta wait .

Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Smile

I received my lights awhile ago, but I finally got the time to post up the pics . The license plate lights installed perfectly with no OBC errors and the puddle/side mirror lights turned out really good as well. However, the H3 cornering lights did not work and I am looking for a different route for those. Below are the pics of the license plate lights (some photos are good and some are bad, my apologies ).

license plate lights:

These look bluer than normal cause of the ****ty blackberry camera, below is a better pic showing that it is whiter.

The bulbs I used were ordered off ijdmtoy.com and here is a pic of them:

The packaging is below:

Here is a pic of the puddle/side mirror lights (again, the ****ty berry made it blue-er than it really is, it is more white in person):

The LED H3's I had ordered threw off the OBC and would make both left and right lights not turn on, so I took them out and put in temporary halogens. Right now I am looking at some PIAA's that could put in my lights and thinking about doing an ion yellow fog light bulb for the fogs. I guess this is all I could do for now, but I sure as hella happy with how it turned out so far. If you guys need help/questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by freshlysqueezed; 07-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I received my lights awhile ago, but I finally got the time to post up the pics . The license plate lights installed perfectly with no OBC errors and the puddle/side mirror lights turned out really good as well. However, the H3 cornering lights did not work and I am looking for a different route for those. Below are the pics of the license plate lights (some photos are good and some are bad, my apologies ).

license plate lights:

These look bluer than normal cause of the ****ty blackberry camera, below is a better pic showing that it is whiter.

The bulbs I used were ordered off ijdmtoy.com and here is a pic of them:

The packaging is below:

The LED H3's I had ordered threw off the OBC and would make both left and right lights not turn on, so I took them out and put in temporary halogens. Right now I am looking at some PIAA's that could put in my lights and thinking about doing an ion yellow fog light bulb for the fogs. I guess this is all I could do for now, but I sure as hella happy with how it turned out so far. If you guys need help/questions, please feel free to ask.
Exactly the same license plate bulbs I ordered from the same source. I just came back from a trip and my CTT had undergone an all around exterior bulb change during my absence. Yet to check out the results. Good to know that the license plate bulbs did not throw an error code, as advertised. As for the fogs, I switched to PIAA Ion Yellow H11s, which is what you have in mind. Will try to post pics as soon as I get the chance to take them.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 PM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jr1966
LEDs are sensitive to polarity. If it doesn't light up, turn it over. Did you try it both ways?
Thanks for the info, I might try again. But one wouldn't light up even though I pulled it out a couple of times. (may not've rotated it) And the other one lit up slightly with the car and light off and flashed sporadically when power was turned on??

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by rsa supra
Thanks for the info, I might try again. But one wouldn't light up even though I pulled it out a couple of times. (may not've rotated it) And the other one lit up slightly with the car and light off and flashed sporadically when power was turned on??
If still doesn't work both ways, you may have received defective LED bulbs. It is uncommon but it happens and I myself had experienced defective LED bulbs.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
is.deleon is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the info, i'm also planning on changing some lights on my cayenne

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wanted to replace some of the exterior bulbs, info?