Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Wrong oil in GTS?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Matters22 is on a distinguished road
Wrong oil in GTS?

The check oil light in my '09 GTS came on yesterday (3,000 KM's) so I checked it and it was at MIN. I stopped at a gas station and put in a quart of Penzoil 10w-30 (for SUV's). A bonehead move not to check the manual first I know! The manual calls for 0w-40, or 5w-40.

Will having the 10w-30 in hurt the engine? What should I do?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
change your oil early, need to get synthetic in there

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Matters22 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. So ok to leave the 10w-30 in, but get a change done sooner than usual (next couple months)?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
0w40 Mobil is sometimes not available in my area, so I sometimes top up with 15W50. I've checked with the dealer and he said it is OK.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Four issues to consider:
  1. Mixing Mineral and Synthetic Oils: There has been considerable theoretical concern regarding mixing of "regular" oil with synthetic oil but most of it is probably unwarranted. You should anticipate shorter oil life with the mixture compared to pure synthetic.
  2. Mixing Oil Weights: Oil viscosities are not rated on a linear scales so calculating viscosity of mixtures of multi-weight oils is pretty complex. One quart of 0w-40 plus one quart of 10w-30 does not make a quart of 5w-35. You do end up somewhere in between but the ratings but it is diffcult to determine exactly where.
  3. "Additive Clash" - When topping up with different brands or formulations of oil, there is the theoretical consideration that the additives in one oil may not work well with the other additives in the other. Realistically, the additive packages of most oils are pretty similar.
  4. Bottom Line - Oil is relatively cheap and engines are relatively expensive. Just change the oil back to what the manufacturer recommends ASAP and you won't have to worry about any of the other stuff.

Last edited by sparkhill; 01-18-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
2Dakar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Matters22
The check oil light in my '09 GTS came on yesterday (3,000 KM's) so I checked it and it was at MIN. I stopped at a gas station and put in a quart of Penzoil 10w-30 (for SUV's). A bonehead move not to check the manual first I know! The manual calls for 0w-40, or 5w-40.

Will having the 10w-30 in hurt the engine? What should I do?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx.
My Check Oil light came on at about the 2,000 miles, it was at MIN also, put in some 0w-40 Mobil 1 but I want to get a oil change soon also!

First car where I had to put oil in, lol!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
The mark2 V8 engines use much more oil on the S and GTS, not as much as TT engine. Keep a close eye on it, dont wait till the CEL comes on.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
**** happens but I have to say that you're *&^$(!! to just stop at any gas station and put some random SUV oil.

Do this or have someone do it - don't wait for next Halloween though, do it NOW!!! :

- empty the current oil completely
- flush the engine with the right kind of oil for 20-25 minutes then empty dirty-flushed oil
- change filter
- put the right oil 0w-40

You're good to go.

Last edited by Vekto911; 01-18-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM
gsa
gsa is on a distinguished road
2009 Cayenne S Engine oil

Hi,

I bought a 2009 Cayenne S, about 5 months back.
As told by the dealer prior to buying, the engine oil needs to be topped off regularly. I live in the NY/ NJ area and wanted to know if Mobil1 15W50 would be too heavy for the vehicle. This is what I have been using to top it off so far, but I realized that the user guide recommends some of the lighter oils (like 5W50). I have driven it about 5000 miles so far- mostly highway with preiodic fun moves in Sports Mode.
Any known disadvantages of using 15W50? If so, do you recommend that I get it drained and replace the filter?

Many thanks!

Cayenne'09

Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
Just do what I do and drive around with a few quarts in the vehicle. It's stupid to have to do it but I'd rather have the correct oil and not have to worry about not being able to find it on the highway somewhere when it gets low.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 AM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gsa
Hi,

I bought a 2009 Cayenne S, about 5 months back.
As told by the dealer prior to buying, the engine oil needs to be topped off regularly. I live in the NY/ NJ area and wanted to know if Mobil1 15W50 would be too heavy for the vehicle. This is what I have been using to top it off so far, but I realized that the user guide recommends some of the lighter oils (like 5W50). I have driven it about 5000 miles so far- mostly highway with preiodic fun moves in Sports Mode.
Any known disadvantages of using 15W50? If so, do you recommend that I get it drained and replace the filter?

Many thanks!

Cayenne'09

The only difference between the oils is the cold weather factor, summer months this use (15/50) probably would not have been that noticeable, would not recommend it in the winter months, that's where the zero component comes in to play. Try pouring the two different types of oil in temps at around -30C and see the difference. I would recommend changing the oil out if you intend on running the vehicle in the late fall/winter months with at least a 0/40 or 0/50 or worst case scenario 5/40 or 5/50.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
SSWIM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hovy
**** happens but I have to say that you're *&^$(!! to just stop at any gas station and put some random SUV oil.

Do this or have someone do it - don't wait for next Halloween though, do it NOW!!! :

- empty the current oil completely
- flush the engine with the right kind of oil for 20-25 minutes then empty dirty-flushed oil
- change filter
- put the right oil 0w-40

You're good to go.

Not to bash, but this is bunk.

Change your oil, no need to flush. You will be just fine.

Sam

Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
caly is on a distinguished road
I have a 2010 lexus they been using regular oil,cpl month ago they send me a letter from now on they only use 0-40 mobil1(before $50 now $200)...my car do for the first oil change in 2 week n I know they not gonna flush the engine

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
TZL
TZL is on a distinguished road
your car is pernamently broken now, you must sell it for me for $1k....no good to anyone anymore :-P

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Woodchuck is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit matters22, but I have a question for a few of y'all. I am running Mobil1 5w-40 ESP formula right now and am wondering when it gets down to low enough temps. to where I have to use 0w-40, should I have an oil change done first? Or should I be good just switching it up seeing as it is the same brand?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wrong oil in GTS?