Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY : Installing OEM Hitch and Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
fredjchavez is on a distinguished road
Yes...mine are too short (factory hitch requires bolts threaded all the way through). I have scoured the major auto parts stores and now am calling specialty fastener companys...I am being a bit **** on the whole thing as I do intend to be at or close to the 7700 lb limit at some point and I do not want to be kept up at night wondering about anything (hence 10.9 grade).

Here is more info that I found for what it is worth (explaining m14 versus m12 change)

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...afu-37397.html

Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
nelsonmx is on a distinguished road
I'm the same way. I pull a 6x10 cargo trailer well under the limit, but I installed the correct length bolts....
I was able to find the 10.9 bolts in the correct size and length at an autoparts that also specializes in trailers and suspension so you may want to try a local that installs trailer hitches....they may have some bolts...
Rgds,
Bob

Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by joe731
_snip_

I also found this Porsche install instruction set after a lot of searching
I may have found the holy grail of install manuals. This attachment includes ALL the instructions you need in one document, including how to remove the bumper, how to remove the interior trim and so on. All the other instructions I have found refer you to other procedures (which you may not have access to).

Bonus, it is in English and Deutch.

Attached Files

Last edited by CBRacerX; 12-12-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added PDF
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fredjchavez
Yes...mine are too short (factory hitch requires bolts threaded all the way through). I have scoured the major auto parts stores and now am calling specialty fastener companys...I am being a bit **** on the whole thing as I do intend to be at or close to the 7700 lb limit at some point and I do not want to be kept up at night wondering about anything (hence 10.9 grade).

Here is more info that I found for what it is worth (explaining m14 versus m12 change)

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...afu-37397.html
So just that I am clear, the big box in my garage contains M14x1.5x100 10.9 Flange bolts that are too large a diameter for my 2006 CTT? And I need to source 8 M12x1.5x100 10.9 Flange bolts?

Is this a p-car dealer stocked item perhaps?

Last edited by CBRacerX; 11-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
My 06 require m12 bolts. The m14's are too big!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
porschetech will become famous soon enough
gimme a shout.....i can help ya out

Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by porschetech
gimme a shout.....i can help ya out
Add me to your list of those in need.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM
porschetech will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RacerXCB
Add me to your list of those in need.

Thanks,

Chris
no worries chris. this is a forum where we're supposed to try and help others and provide honest answers. feel free to contact me at any time and i'll try to answer any questions as best as poss

Old 11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
TommyH is on a distinguished road
i used the original m12 works fine=) 210nm i think

Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
Is the control module necessary?

I'm not planning on towing anywhere near the max but probably a mid-size U-Haul trailer with a room or two worth of stuff.

It seems like you don't have to but I just want to make sure it won't hurt anything if I dont and I tap into the taillights instead. I don't want to bust the tranny, electricals, etc. Also I DO (or think I do, I can't read German) have the 1D8 option which says "
VORBEREIT. ANHAENGEVORRICHTUNG USA" which when translated means (again I think) "Ready towing bracket the USA." I assume that means I have the controller? Otherwise why put that option in there when without it EVERY car would have that option to be "ready" for towing...

Also is the Curt 13220 what everyone is installing?

Thanks!

Last edited by PutterMcGavin; 11-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM
The factory bolts will work for the curt hitch. The curt hitch is thicker than the alum bumper but no so much that you cannot reuse your old bolts as needed.

I am using the factory hitch which requires much much longer m12 bolts (100mm).

As far as the harness, I too plan to utilize an off the shelf splice in connector but have not gotten that far. At some point down the road when/if I need trailer brakes, I will either hard wire in a brake controller (and live without adapted shifting as is done by the complete towing package), or pony up and buy the control module components and run to local dealer and beg for a computer hookup (I can already imagine the agro I'd get from them...we do not like each other and so I avoid the dealer).

Old 04-05-2015, 08:11 AM
RodBromiley is on a distinguished road

Porsche Cayenne 2004 towing loom. Anyone know what the 10 wires are as I need to connect a new 13pin plug
I cut the old plug off and then discovered Porsche have their own colour scheme.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Lclark is on a distinguished road
Did you figure it out rod? I can let you know if you are still stuck.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:53 AM
Mattias is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CBRacerX
I may have found the holy grail of install manuals. This attachment includes ALL the instructions you need in one document, including how to remove the bumper, how to remove the interior trim and so on. All the other instructions I have found refer you to other procedures (which you may not have access to).

Bonus, it is in English and Deutch.

Cayenne Hitch Install Complete.pdf
The link is broken, do you still have the file?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mattias
The link is broken, do you still have the file?
Try this (attached)

Attached Files

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY : Installing OEM Hitch and Wiring