Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY : Installing OEM Hitch and Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Mz3bo is on a distinguished road
DIY : Installing OEM Hitch and Wiring

Hi,

I am looking at a guide sheet or DIY write up for the installation of the OEM hitch system, including OEM wiring, to a 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

Anyone knows where I can find documentations for that task ?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Triple B is on a distinguished road
I used this to install the hitch http://www.eurodrivegear.com/downloads/RA-CTHins.pdf on my 05 (It is the same process for a factory hitch.

To hook up the tow package computer you must remove the interior paneling behind the right rear tire (the CD changer area)

You still have to take it to the dealer for programing

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Triple B
I used this to install the hitch http://www.eurodrivegear.com/downloads/RA-CTHins.pdf on my 05 (It is the same process for a factory hitch.

To hook up the tow package computer you must remove the interior paneling behind the right rear tire (the CD changer area)

You still have to take it to the dealer for programing
Very helpful. Thanks. So this would be the same for the OEM Cayenne hitch correct? What about any aftermarket hitches that use the same quality components and factory attach points?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
fredjchavez is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have the PDF lying around? The site is down or no longer exists...Thanks.

Fred

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 AM
nelsonmx is on a distinguished road
I just purchased the Curt aftermarket hitch. The quality is good. It is a direct bolt on unit. I have attached the installation and wiring instructions for the unit. I hope this is of some help.
NelsonMX

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Excellent...Thanks!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Control Module

In case anyone is struggling to find the tow module location, it plugs into two places:

1.) in the passenger side wheel well (that's the easy one)

2.) then you have to pull the passenger side wheel well trim (material pillar where bose speaker is, plactic molding under side rear window and then pull on the carpeted vertical piece. All of this to get to a spot more forward that the CD changer (this is a real pain).

I also found this Porsche install instruction set after a lot of searching

Attached Files
Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
Just an update from my end. I've done the Curt MFG hitch install (actually I had uHaul do it) and I am very pleased with the results.

The entire install including wiring came to about $180 and for me that wasn't worth the time or effort to do it myself. On top of about $180 for the hitch with free shipping and no tax the entire deal was under $400 and I can't tell the difference at all between this and the factory OEM setup.

If you are towing a lot then maybe there is some benefit to the OEM setup and the computer module but for me just pulling a jet ski, motorcycle, or light boats around I am happy with my decision. The quality of the Curt piece is incredibly solid and well polished. Looks like it will hold up very well and looks OEM from the outside. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
I trailered the 996tt 400+ miles this past week to the track and back and could not be happier with the towing capability of the cayenne tt. I had previously towed with a quad cab fordf150 and the cayenne is not only nicer (quieter, more luxurious, smoother), but it is also a more capable tow vehicle ... Very stable, plenty of torque, air suspension self levels, shift points auto adjust, extra blinker lights on dash. Just another example of Porsche doing things right.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM
denpg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joe731
In case anyone is struggling to find the tow module location, it plugs into two places:

1.) in the passenger side wheel well (that's the easy one)

2.) then you have to pull the passenger side wheel well trim (material pillar where bose speaker is, plactic molding under side rear window and then pull on the carpeted vertical piece. All of this to get to a spot more forward that the CD changer (this is a real pain).

I also found this Porsche install instruction set after a lot of searching
I just bought the control unit and the wiring kit from porsche. Everything install like i saw in this tread. My brake control detect my trailer but nothing else .My question is: do i have to go to porsche to program the control unit .Thanks denis

Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM
You do need to go to Porsche for them to program it. They will likely charge you a couple of hundred dollars.

In the end, it seems worth it to me. You will notice the change in shift points in the transmission and the the extra blinker alert on the dash. Also, if you arm the alarm, unplugging the trailer is supposed to set it off, though I have not tested this feature yet.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Going to be doing this next week the OEM way on an '06 CTT, will post some pics of the tricky parts.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
pb1302 is on a distinguished road
I would do this.. just not a fan of the bumper cutting... those cars look so nice from the back without a hitch hanging there

Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I ordered m14x1.5x100mm bolts per attached pdf's only to find out after I took things apart, that they are really m12x1.5x100. M12 flange bolts in 1.5 thread pitch are proving to be a big challenge finding. I may just use a regular hex head bolt with flat washers or maybe go with a 8.9 rather than 10.9 bolt.

I am now wishing that I had gone with a curt hitch.

Does anyone have spare hitch bolts? I had read elsewhere that due to minimum orders, people had spares.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this. I cannot imagine that there are two different size bolts for the cayenne. How could what seem to be official instructions have a mistake in the hardware spec. Has anyone else ran into this?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM
nelsonmx is on a distinguished road
I would think a good auto parts store would have the correct size bolts......My Curt hitch came with M14 which were too big so I bought M12's at the local auto parts......
I'm guessing your original bolts are too short??
Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY : Installing OEM Hitch and Wiring