Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

time for amp/sub upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
I just installed an alpine MP-500 mono amp under spare tire, and JL Audio Stealthbox. Thanks very much to Reborn996 for wiring help!!!
The sound for such a simple upgrade is night and day. I know many of you do not like the bose ... but this is a pretty nice upgrade in sound without a total swap of all parts.

Even though the factory wire harness is not the best way to wire power .. it is the easiest way. So far I have had no problems using it.

The Stealthbox was a complete ***** to install. However it is a very nice peice of equipment. Very nicely made .. and fit is good and tight. Sound is fantastic. I was able to install it myself ... but the job is very tough and took me many many hours. Final look came out perfect. I highly recommend the upgrade.

Last edited by carreracup03; 03-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
I am assuming the major b1tch was removing the inner wheel well. Can you confirm how far forward and how far up you had to pull the trim pieces? Also, did you need to take out the rear seats?

I heard that you have to pull the seats and parts of the upper headliner trim.

Originally Posted by carreracup03
I just installed a alpine MP-500 mono amp under spare tire, and JL Audio Stealthbox. Thanks very much to Reborn996 for wiring help!!!
The sound for such a simple upgrade is night and day. I know many of you do not like the bose ... but this is a pretty nice upgrade in sound without a total swap of all parts.

Even though the factory wire harness is not the best way to wire power .. it is the easiest way. So far I have had no problems using it.

The Stealthbox was a complete ***** to install. However it is a very nice peice od equipment. Very nicely made .. and fit is good and tight. Sound is fantastic. I was able to install it myself ... but the job is very tough and took me many many hours. Final look came out perfect. I highly reccomend the upgrade.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
I am assuming the major ***** was removing the inner wheel well. Can you confirm how far forward and how far up you had to pull the trim pieces? Also, did you need to take out the rear seats?

I heard that you have to pull the seats and parts of the upper headliner trim.
You pretty much have to take off everything. The Rear driver side seat has to come out as well, but that takes about 1 minute. Once you get the hang of it .. it is pretty straight forward. All directions are here. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/12654.pdf
The inner wheel well and the panel where the easiest parts to remove. I found the upper rear trim and the rear upper corner the hardest. But that being said it can be done .. I mean if I can do it .. anyone can.
AA

Last edited by carreracup03; 03-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Do you guys use the "CDC Surround" setting on or off. I think it sounds better off , but curious what others are doing.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to try to follow in this threads footsteps and have a subwoofer enclosure glassed in the side and place a mono alpine amp where the factory sub sat.

I will post pics when I am done.

Does anyone know where I can get the same brown carpet to match the chestnut brown?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 AM
lbredefe is on a distinguished road
Adding to the fun.

Going with this set up, and wiring just how you guys have it here.

they had a 15" for only $50 more but I had to restrain myself in that this is a sports car, not a hoop'd

you guys think this 10" L5 is enough? i think the 15" might be overkill.

Attached Images   
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Going to try and get this done tonight My setup is pretty basic, Diamond D1 12" sub and box and Kicker Punch 400 watt amp. Should sound much better!!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
dporschey is on a distinguished road
Can't get power to my amp. I know the amp works. I throw a code for the battery. Amp is only 300 watts. Wiring is correct. Any ideas?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Does the amp have to be digital? I am using a crappy jensen amp a buddy gave me. Figured i would us it if it works. Could this be why I am not getting power to the amp bc it's not digital?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
1. What is a "digital" amp? All amplifiers have analog output.
2. No - probably not the problem. Recheck your wiring. If you are throwing a "code for the battery" (checked how?) something is amiss in your wiring.
3. Does the amp have a "turn-on" trigger connection (most do..) and if so - have you powered that up?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM
When I turn the car on the battery light comes on. No turn on switch on the amp. Checked the wires 5 times. No luck

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dporschey
When I turn the car on the battery light comes on. No turn on switch on the amp. Checked the wires 5 times. No luck
Much too cryptic.. and I get the feeling you're not listening, or not understanding..

When you "turn the car on" - does this mean when you insert the key in the ignition, OR when you start the engine?

- If the battery light comes on when you insert the key in the ignition (before starting the engine) - that's normal. It's what the light is supposed to do. It is NOT A BATTERY LIGHT - it's a charge indicator showing if the alternator is working. The alternator won't work until the engine is rotating.

- If the battery light comes on AFTER the engine is started - you've fubar'd the alternator charge circuit. See someone competent to resolve this.

- How is the amplifier switched on? Usually they require either a turn-on signal (some voltage sent through a wire that is separate from the power wires) - OR - they are signal switched, meaning there has to be a signal on the INPUT of the amplifier to turn it on. Neither of these suggest a physical switch on the amp (although some amps may ALSO have a switch.) No amplifier is left on all the time since it would rather rapidly discharge your battery.

Since it's a piece of crap a friend gave you (your words) - I understand that documentation may be a bit sketchy or unavailable, but often Google can help track this sort of info down. What are you using for a wiring diagram?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Hal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really nice
No body mentioned checking the 30a fuse on the side of the drivers dash. Then check for 12v under the spare with the key and radio on. Check both power and remote turn on wires. Both good? Replace amp. Btw, my JL 500/1 mono amp IS capable of blowing the 30a factory fuse.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Figured out the problem. The remote wire has no power going to it. When i bought the car it had a mobridge ipod hook up. I am guessing they must have stolen the remote wire for that. Amp works when i loop the remote wire into the power. Any ideas of where i can tap off a remote wire in the rear? Both 12v outlets are always on and my cd changer doesn't work bc of the mobridge unit.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by dporschey
Figured out the problem. The remote wire has no power going to it. When i bought the car it had a mobridge ipod hook up. I am guessing they must have stolen the remote wire for that. Amp works when i loop the remote wire into the power. Any ideas of where i can tap off a remote wire in the rear? Both 12v outlets are always on and my cd changer doesn't work bc of the mobridge unit.
The power connection to your CD changer should still be active..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time for amp/sub upgrade