Frozen lock, door won't shut - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > Cayenne > Cayenne 955/957
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum. Sponsored by: Champion Porsche

Frozen lock, door won't shut

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 PM

canberk will become famous soon enough
Frozen lock, door won't shut

Hello guys,

Today, I had problem shutting the front passenger door after getting in the car, as the door didn't shut. It just bounced back. It's due to cold weather and it went away by itself after it got warmer outside, and came back after leaving the car sitting in cold for another while.

Any suggestions? Should I spray something to locks? If so, what to spray and where to spray?

Don't say wd40 as it leaves a residue as it is petroleum based.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
I have no idea what your talking about!

All jokes aside, I think there some sort of "lube" that repels the moisture, I think?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by canberk View Post
Hello guys,

Today, I had problem shutting the front passenger door after getting in the car, as the door didn't shut. It just bounced back. It's due to cold weather and it went away by itself after it got warmer outside, and came back after leaving the car sitting in cold for another while.

Any suggestions? Should I spray something to locks? If so, what to spray and where to spray?

Don't say wd40 as it leaves a residue as it is petroleum based.
I use a graphite spray before each winter, and use silicon on all the door gaskets.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Ha Ha SoCal955

Can any of you provide me a specific brand and type of spray, and more important, where to spray?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator

bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Gunk Dry Graphite...good to -37F

The reason your door isn't shutting is because the locking latch isn't clasping down then the striker bar pushes inward. It is possible you got some water in the mechanism. Spray the graphite generously into the latch. It's going to make a mess. Make sure you have a towel. Open and shut the door a dozen times. Respray. Once the graphite spray dries, it will coat the latching mechanism. It should take care of the problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal955 View Post
I have no idea what your talking about!

All jokes aside, I think there some sort of "lube" that repels the moisture, I think?
Yes...it's called WD-40. Water Displacement...but he doesn't want to use it (I probably wouldn't either.)
Old 12-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbywu View Post
Yes...it's called WD-40. Water Displacement...but he doesn't want to use it (I probably wouldn't either.)

Actually I wasn't thinking of WD-40, I was thinking of something similar to what you described, but being from So Cal, I would not have a need for it.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Actually I wasn't thinking of WD-40, I was thinking of something similar to what you described, but being from So Cal, I would not have a need for it.
All of you and your warm sunny weather...I hate you

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbywu View Post
All of you and your warm sunny weather...I hate you

Click the image to open in full size.
this picture reflects the way my cayenne looked like the other day.

It was below zero, and it started snowing here the other night, after a LOT of snow, it switched to rain, while the temperature was sub-zero, and my car ended up becoming an ice cube...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canberk View Post
this picture reflects the way my cayenne looked like the other day.

It was below zero, and it started snowing here the other night, after a LOT of snow, it switched to rain, while the temperature was sub-zero, and my car ended up becoming an ice cube...
Not sure graphite is going to help you with this much ice
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM

I rest my case, sunny San Diego all the way!!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:

I rest my case, sunny San Diego all the way!!
i'll be there next week (seriously)
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Tags
audi, back, bmw, car, door, froze, frozen, latch, lock, locks, opened, shut, talk, wont, wouldnt