Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Replacement Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
twilight is on a distinguished road
Replacement Engine

So how many of my fellow Cayenne owners have had replacement engines put in you vehicle? If you look around the forums you can see a few......

If you could answer with: How many miles and what was the reason. Also, was it covered by Porsche - even out of warranty - it would be a great help!

My vehicle has a scored cylinder and the dealer is currently taking it apart to see if they can find the root cause - Porsche may cover the repair, more details to follow.

Thanks.....

Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Pictures of Engine

Here are some pictures of the engine teardown...

Name:  IMG_0209.jpg
Views: 8582
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 9263
Size:  222.6 KB

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
If the engine is replaced, you will likely get a short block, and not an entire engine assembly.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Agree- the Porsche guys have been great in looking into this issue...sure they will end up doing what is right and what makes financial sense for both parties.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
smerj is on a distinguished road
Ok, so my 2004 Cayenne S had a scored cylinder after only 66K miles, and Porsche is basically screwing me over. I've decided to start a grass roots effort to get Porsche to acknowledge the problem and do something about it. Please check the facebook page I created to read my story and, if you have the same experiences, please post there and send me an email. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...00002136197389

If this doesn't work, just look up Engine Problems.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 AM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smerj
Ok, so my 2004 Cayenne S had a scored cylinder after only 66K miles, and Porsche is basically screwing me over. I've decided to start a grass roots effort to get Porsche to acknowledge the problem and do something about it. Please check the facebook page I created to read my story and, if you have the same experiences, please post there and send me an email. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...00002136197389

If this doesn't work, just look up Engine Problems.
My friend had the same thing happen. He was luckily within warranty (2months left). They gave him a new engine. The bill....$27000! Luckily he didn't have to pay a cent. He jokes about it and is actually happy becasue now he has a brand new engine (the old one had 65000km when it took a dump). I feel for you though...that really is aweful. I admit, I am always nervous about stuff like that. If it happened to me I would probably just part out the car unless I could source a reasonable fix.
I'd love to read your story. Maybe you could post it somewhere other than facebook...I refuse to be part of that

Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
smerj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by quattrotman
My friend had the same thing happen. He was luckily within warranty (2months left). They gave him a new engine. The bill....$27000! Luckily he didn't have to pay a cent. He jokes about it and is actually happy becasue now he has a brand new engine (the old one had 65000km when it took a dump). I feel for you though...that really is aweful. I admit, I am always nervous about stuff like that. If it happened to me I would probably just part out the car unless I could source a reasonable fix.
I'd love to read your story. Maybe you could post it somewhere other than facebook...I refuse to be part of that
Here's my post from my facebook page:

I have a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S with only 66K miles and learned very recently (after the engine started to shake) that I have a scored cylinder and that the only way to remedy this is to buy a new engine from Porsche which will cost $16K. The car has been under regular maintenance since I bought it (as the original owner) but is unfortuantely out of warranty. I ran this issue up the ladder all the way to Porsche NA in Atlanta and the only thing they are willing to do for me is to offer to pay for half of the engine, which would reduce what I would have to pay out of pocket to $10.5K.

Now I don't know about the rest of you Porsche owners, but forcing me to pay $10.5K to fix a problem on a car that only has 66K miles and a Blue Book value of $20K or so is ridiculous. The car has had all of the Porsche-suggested maintenance services since it was purchased and has been garage kept all that time. I searched the web and found several other people who have had this same issue (low mileage Porsches with scored cylinders), including with other Porsche models, which got me to wondering how many of you out there have had this same problem (perhaps a design defect), and if we band together do we have enough purchasing power to force Porsche to do something about it?

At this point I'm not sure what my options are. I'm not gearhead (don't mean that as an insult) so I don't know the first thing about what my options would be to get rid of the car for decent money. Any thoughts?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
00spyder is on a distinguished road
My 2010 Cayenne GTS spun a rod bearing with just 5,000 miles on the odometer- it grenaded the whole engine. Porsche promptly replaced it with a whole new motor and frame sub assembly. Vehicle was down for less than two weeks.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
This is just like the dreaded and far more common issue of the rear main seal on the 996. That has killed thousands of motors, cost their owners tons of money and Porsche has never admitted any default. If everytime a manufacturer did accept responsabily for a defect which caused catastrophic engine failure, it would probably bankrupt them.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by quattrotman
This is just like the dreaded and far more common issue of the rear main seal on the 996. That has killed thousands of motors, cost their owners tons of money and Porsche has never admitted any default. If everytime a manufacturer did accept responsabily for a defect which caused catastrophic engine failure, it would probably bankrupt them.
Wow. I was not aware that the Cayenne had any major engine issues.

Now, not only do I need to be paranoid about the engine in my 997 grenading, I need to worry about my Cayenne as well.

In my civic where I only get the most basic maintenance, and costs less than the RIMS AND TIRES did on my 997, I have never felt anything less than 100% confident that I can hop in, fire up the engine and go.

This is ridiculous.

Last edited by strife_wy; 03-14-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Curious how often some of you check the oil on the Cayenne. These things consume oil. You simply can't just have it changed at the scheduled maintinace intervals. If you do you are probably running low on oil most of the time and a scored cylinder wall could easily be the result of that.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cole
Curious how often some of you check the oil on the Cayenne. These things consume oil. You simply can't just have it changed at the scheduled maintinace intervals. If you do you are probably running low on oil most of the time and a scored cylinder wall could easily be the result of that.
I change oil in my Cayenne every 10,000 kms or 1 year, whichever comes first (twice as often as the recommended service interval).

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by strife_wy
I change oil in my Cayenne every 10,000 kms or 1 year, whichever comes first (twice as often as the recommended service interval).

From the MY06 Cayenne S owners manual, page 261.

Engine Oil
Engine oil consumption
It is normal for your engine to consume oil.
The rate of oil consumption depends on the quality
and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine
is operated, the climate, road conditions as well
as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the lubricant.
If the vehicle is used for repeated short trips, and
consumes a normal amount of oil, the engine oil
measurement may not show any drop in the oil level
at all, even after 600 miles (1000 km) or more.
This is because the oil is gradually becoming diluted
with fuel or moisture, making it appear that the
oil level has not changed.
The diluting ingredients evaporate out when the
vehicle is driven at high speeds, as on an expressway,
making it then appear that oil is excessively
consumed after driving at high speeds.
If the conditions you drive your vehicle in are
dusty, humid, or hot, the frequency of the oil
change intervals should be greater.
If the vehicle is driven at a high rate of speed, climatic
conditions are warm, and the load is high,
the oil should be checked more frequently, as driving
conditions will determine the rate of oil consumption.
– The engine in your vehicle depends on oil to lubricate
and cool all of its moving parts. Therefore,
the engine oil should be checked regularly
and kept at the required level.
– Make it a habit to have the engine oil level
checked with every fuel filling.
– The oil pressure warning light is not an oil level
indicator.
The oil pressure warning light indicates serious
engine damage may be occuring when lit, if engine
rpm is above idle speed

Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
From the MY 2010 Owners Manual, page 336.

Engine oil consumption up to 1.5 liters/1000 km
(1.6 quarts/622 miles)

It's right in the owners manual that simply changing it, even at every 10K is simply not enough.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
As long as there is a way to prevent this issue..... I guess I should go check the oil level when I get home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Replacement Engine