Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Headlights too high?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
markitzero is on a distinguished road
Headlights too high?

Does anyone else have a problem with the Cayenne's headlights being too high? I feel like they are constantly in the back window of cars and blinding oncoming traffic. I decided to compare them to my Q7 as they are both about the same size and weight and both have self-leveling xenons. Any way to adjust these myself or does it require a trip to the dealer? It's never been wrecked.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 AM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
you will need to goto the dealer.

I wish mine were higher!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Brentis is on a distinguished road
Dunno about your test though. The Cayenne sits higher and probably has them pointing down a half a degree more or so to make up for the height difference. This difference would probably only be realized 200ft down the road vs. 5ft away.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Try to compare with another Cayenne instead.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 AM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
i saw a video on how the factory sets them on 6speed i belive.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 PM
jyoteen from another forum helped me...

He might also be here as he is a 911 fan. There is an adjustment screw on the side of the housing. On a separate note, the way the headlight housing comes out is cool. Release the headlight and pull the entire assembly out. The port to release it is shown in the first photo, lower right. I used a 7mm socket (I think it was 7mm) and a couple of extensions on my socket wrench to release and secure. Oh, if you try this.. make sure you feel a distinct "thud" when tightening the bolt... it has the tenancy to miss the contact point and not lock in place.

By the way, the adjustment screw for bi-xenon is the screw below the "S20" sticker on the last photo. I believe for halogen it is the screw on the lower right of the same photo.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 PM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
Be careful putting the headlight assembly back in....I had to replace a cornering light and thought the latch held the light in place after the "click" but started to have "dip beam" and indicator light" warnings almost every time I drove the vehicle. I removed the light again and removed the plastic rail with the latch and found that the gears were slipping causing the light to come loose from the plug!! Went to the dealer, purchased a new plastic rail with the latch for $77....re-installed it in the dealer parking lot....now everything works just fine, no warnings ever since!!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
fredjchavez is on a distinguished road
I had to "figure this out on my own" as Michael Stead in Walnut Creek said they were not adjustable. Lights for the last 80 years have been adjustable...was I supposed to believe that modern lights that are twice at bright are not adjustable? Like Judge Judy says "if it doesnt make sense, it isnt true!". I knew I was in trouble after this experience with the dealer.

All you want to do is adjust them till you notice people have stopped putting their hands up in their rear view mirror at night!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by thor7000
Be careful putting the headlight assembly back in....I had to replace a cornering light and thought the latch held the light in place after the "click" but started to have "dip beam" and indicator light" warnings almost every time I drove the vehicle. I removed the light again and removed the plastic rail with the latch and found that the gears were slipping causing the light to come loose from the plug!! Went to the dealer, purchased a new plastic rail with the latch for $77....re-installed it in the dealer parking lot....now everything works just fine, no warnings ever since!!
Thanks for the heads up... no problems so far but you never know with these things.

Originally Posted by fredjchavez
I had to "figure this out on my own" as Michael Stead in Walnut Creek said they were not adjustable. Lights for the last 80 years have been adjustable...was I supposed to believe that modern lights that are twice at bright are not adjustable? Like Judge Judy says "if it doesnt make sense, it isnt true!". I knew I was in trouble after this experience with the dealer.

All you want to do is adjust them till you notice people have stopped putting their hands up in their rear view mirror at night!
Agreed! I was tired of blinding people. Much better now.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Ok, I thought I had a problem too with mine and the hands being thrown up in the aire.........first I didnt realize I installed my halogens upside down.

Both Halogens and xenon are adjustable.......well I had been playing around with these and I cranked mine way too low.........

Any one have suggestions on optimal levels???

Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by cordsig79
Any one have suggestions on optimal levels???
The owners manual has the official procedure. I just put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on my closed garage door to mark where they started and moved them down a bit... took a few attempts but got it to my liking eventually.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
halogen adjustable headlamp factory settings...help

Originally Posted by markitzero
The owners manual has the official procedure. I just put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on my closed garage door to mark where they started and moved them down a bit... took a few attempts but got it to my liking eventually.
Hi mark, my owners manual took a rain bath and is ruined.

Do you have the owners manual in pdf where the halogen hex heads need to be adjusted to, to set them at factory specs.

My "high" beams are even/below my regular driving headlamps.

I hope I can pop the hood and adjust while they are in place.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Jimmi is on a distinguished road
Hi, i find that mine are pretty high up too, not too much but enough to notice. What i wanted to know is that why does my car ask me to check my front car light when its working fine, mind you i havent taken it to the dealer. Im from saudi and there arent many qualified mechanics here, they tend to guess most of the time. what shall i do?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
johnnycostarica is on a distinguished road
i cannot see the images, can u send me to my email address, please i need the info

shenaracing@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by markitzero
Does anyone else have a problem with the Cayenne's headlights being too high? I feel like they are constantly in the back window of cars and blinding oncoming traffic. I decided to compare them to my Q7 as they are both about the same size and weight and both have self-leveling xenons. Any way to adjust these myself or does it require a trip to the dealer? It's never been wrecked.