Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Parking Sensors

Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Parking Sensors

Hello;
New Cayenne S owner here (2004). My first Porsche ! I blame my buddy and his 86 911 getting into the game.

Anyway, when I turn the Parking Sensors on; I only get 2 reds left and right with no in-betweens (front). I assume there's a bad sensor (any other thoughts are appreciated).
If so, anybody know how to remove/replace these ? I'm pretty handy, so figure can work on myself.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RobsCountach
Hello;
New Cayenne S owner here (2004). My first Porsche ! I blame my buddy and his 86 911 getting into the game.

Anyway, when I turn the Parking Sensors on; I only get 2 reds left and right with no in-betweens (front). I assume there's a bad sensor (any other thoughts are appreciated).
If so, anybody know how to remove/replace these ? I'm pretty handy, so figure can work on myself.
Welcome,

Here are some items to check on,

1) If they were ever repainted they can be removed, sanded down, polished and re-install.

2) Make sure they are connected correctly, sometimes you might just have a loose connection causing this error (it's more common if you've had service or body work requiring front bumper removal.

3) If all else fails you can plug in and find out should you have access to the proper PIWIS

Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks, I'll check on that; However, how do I remove them ???

Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Nobody has ever tried this ? I'm pretty sure they just push in / pull out...Like to know before I pry them out... No worries, for some reason, mine has an odd black lower-bumper protector (that I don't like anyway)...

Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute

From the back side of the bumper, you cannot pull them from the outside...

-Eli

Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Hello;

Hi. Did you ever get it figured out? Mine just started doing that but only when I put it in reverse or neutral and there is no audible tone. I know the manual says it's some sort of fault but just wondering if you squared yours away.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, sure did. Most of my connectors were loose or dirty where they connect to the sensor. They were loose because the little 'catch' that holds the clip on had broken off (plastic). So, I took each apart, cleaned the contacts, then reconnected. To keep from coming apart, used a thin zip tie around the unit/clip. Worked great and no more issues !

First, I did test each one to ensure its not just a single failure. Clean them off very well. In doing so, most didn't work. When functioning, they'll 'click' slightly and you can feel when touching the sensor.

Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
Hi. Did you ever get it figured out? Mine just started doing that but only when I put it in reverse or neutral and there is no audible tone. I know the manual says it's some sort of fault but just wondering if you squared yours away.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to test them this weekend and then take off the bumper and clean them. I could tell that the side ones, that you can see, were very dirty and had lots of cinder (they use it on the ground here when it snows) caked on. Hoping to solve this one soon. Thanks, again and wish me luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
The rear bumper is much easier than the front. Good Luck !

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
This is probably a no-brainer but how did you clean them? Just wondering what the best way would be. I have my ideas but since you just did it, your input would be great and wise.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
I'd probably wipe them down and use an electrical contact cleaner.... I find that parking sensors really attract crud for some reason!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
You can wash them off anyhow you like to start (remove most of the grime), then...
I used a Q-tip and alcohol since it leaves no reside behind and dries (evaporates) quickly. Ensure you don't wax/polish them you have the car detailed either.
They're best unscathed...

Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
This is probably a no-brainer but how did you clean them? Just wondering what the best way would be. I have my ideas but since you just did it, your input would be great and wise.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry to bug you, but you used alcohol on the contacts or just the outside where they are visible? I figured out the outside, just wanted to do it right for the connections and contacts. I like the idea of using electrical contact cleaner but since I don't have that handy...

Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
believe he means on the actual connetctions, its a good way to get those squeaky clean without damage or residue. I couldn't hurt to use it on the outside as well, would most likely effictively remove any wax/sealant that could be causing a problem.

I would add that in my experience with other makes and models, a coat of wax or even a light coat of paint doesnt impede the sensors ability to function, most issues are a result of impact or electrical fault of some kind.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
believe he means on the actual connetctions, its a good way to get those squeaky clean without damage or residue. I couldn't hurt to use it on the outside as well, would most likely effictively remove any wax/sealant that could be causing a problem.

I would add that in my experience with other makes and models, a coat of wax or even a light coat of paint doesnt impede the sensors ability to function, most issues are a result of impact or electrical fault of some kind.
Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking Sensors