Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Location of Compass Module???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Location of Compass Module???

I am adding (or attempting) the Compass module to my 2006 CTT. I got the module and bracket, but do not know where this installs. I remember reading this was under the back seat, but that does not seem obvious from a brief inspection.

Any ideas?

Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
porschetech will become famous soon enough
i'd say it sits at the top of that unit. that small rectangular housing looks like it holds the magnetic field sensor. now to locate the wiring

pre 05 models used that additonal bracket you have and clips into the seatbelt receptacle

i have an 04 model and i'll be doing the retroift too, but only if i can locate the harness. my option code is QR0 which is without compass. QR1 is with compass. i've heard that all cayennes fitted with PCM/NAV have that harness, but i can't confirm that.

Last edited by porschetech; 10-29-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porschetech
i'd say it sits at the top of that unit. that small rectangular housing looks like it holds the magnetic field sensor. now to locate the wiring

pre 05 models used that additonal bracket you have and clips into the seatbelt receptacle

i have an 04 model and i'll be doing the retroift too, but only if i can locate the harness. my option code is QR0 which is without compass. QR1 is with compass. i've heard that all cayennes fitted with PCM/NAV have that harness, but i can't confirm that.

The wiring is the problem alright - I could not locate it. I have PCM/NAV but no compass connection...

Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by RacerXCB
The wiring is the problem alright - I could not locate it. I have PCM/NAV but no compass connection...
i think you're right. i've looked at several 04 cayennes with pcm/nav. i haven't been able to locate that harness for the compass module. looks like pcm 2.1 maybe the way to go or build a harness

Last edited by porschetech; 11-05-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
i think you're right. i've looked at several 04 cayennes with pcm/nav. i haven't been able to locate that harness for the compass module. looks like pcm 2.1 maybe the way to go or build a harness
Mine is an '06 so I have the DVD based PCM. That does not seem to be helping. I think it is time to build a harness, the audio unit next to the mount might provide all the connections needed:

Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Mine is an '06 so I have the DVD based PCM. That does not seem to be helping. I think it is time to build a harness, the audio unit next to the mount might provide all the connections needed:
oh ok.....there's software to enable compass in the cluster.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...ation/compass/

http://donrosenporsche.oemdealer.com...2337_24687.php

Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Funny, it says part # 955 044 900 28 is for '05 and above, but when you order it states this is for the '08-11 Cayenne. That is PCM 3.0. I wonder how I can get the proper connector for this Compass module? I knew that dealer programming was going to be required, I figured to piggy back this with the trailer hitch upgrade I am doing.

Last edited by CBRacerX; 11-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Funny, it says part # 955 044 900 28 is for '05 and above, but when you order it states this is for the '08-11 Cayenne. That is PCM 3.0. I wonder how I can get the proper connector for this Compass module? I knew that dealer programming was going to be required, I figured to piggy back this with the trailer hitch upgrade I am doing.
hmmm.....thats weird because everywhere i've looked. it clearly states its for pcm 2.1 for dvd only. i could look into it at my end and ask our parts guy

Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
hmmm.....thats weird because everywhere i've looked. it clearly states its for pcm 2.1 for dvd only. i could look into it at my end and ask our parts guy
Thanks!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks!
ok.....just spoke with our parts manager. that software shown works from cayenne 03-11 and is compatible with both pcm 2.1 & 3.0. hope this helps

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
What exactly does the compass module give you? Is it for the nav system display? I have an 04 CTT, is this upgradeable as well?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
What exactly does the compass module give you? Is it for the nav system display? I have an 04 CTT, is this upgradeable as well?
the compass module on pre dvd nav models gives you the N,E,S,W increments on the left hand side of the display on the cluster. to get compass on the pcm screen (pcm 2.0), you need the extended nav update

Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
the compass module on pre dvd nav models gives you the N,E,S,W increments on the left hand side of the display on the cluster. to get compass on the pcm screen (pcm 2.0), you need the extended nav update
Thanks, I have the indicator to the left side of my cluster already, what is the extended nav update? How does one tell what version of PCM they have?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
Thanks, I have the indicator to the left side of my cluster already, what is the extended nav update? How does one tell what version of PCM they have?
if you have pcm 2.0 you have nav which works via cd. pcm 2.1 works via dvd and has a seperate player which sits under the passenger seat. pcm 2.0 vehicles have a storage drawer under the seat. here's the link to explain extended nav. its enabled via the dealer using the piwis tester. software is @ $200

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...igationmodule/

Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
not to complicate matters

I have a 2005 CTT with 2.1 PCM with DVD. I did not have the compass on the left hand side of speedo. I upgraded to a new pcm with the phone buttons, as my old one did not have them, and I wanted to get mobridge.
WHen I got my new to me, used PCM and hooked it up ... the compass was there on the dash. I think the new pcm had the programing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Location of Compass Module???