Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

06 tt vs 08s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 AM
occam is on a distinguished road
06 tt vs 08s

Im in the market for a cayenne and have narrowed it down to these two. I test drove them both back to back and was surprised. The butt dyno made the 08 S seem faster.. more low end grunt on short sprints i.e. stop light to stop light, lane changes, short accelerations.

I realize this had a little to do with perception due to the wonderful sound the S exhaust makes vs the turbo's. Over all the turbo seemed a lot smoother on acceleration which probably gave an illusion of being slower.

anyway.. I cant seem to find dyno charts for factory set ups in the turbo vs the 08s to see how the torque curves line up. If in fact there is more "usable" power from an 08 due to torque... id much rather have an 08 s with better warranty etc. Im well aware of the 0-60 times posted, but foot to the floor straight line acceleration is different than real world stop light driving. It might be a turbo lag situation..... although i have no idea about cayenne lag... if there is any. I will admit Im light on the throttle so maybe I never spooled the cayenne up properly.

Perhaps this isnt something i can really find out since all dyno charts are based on foot to the floor. I just wanted to get some input from the folks who have driven many of them and who might own one of each.

When I asked the sales guy about it, he pointed out the turbo I drove had air suspension and pano roof vs the S which had standard suspension and no pano. A substantial weight saving. (he had a track prepped civic so was keyed up on this too)

In the end I suppose I should just find an 04/05 turbo s and chip it! save $10g's up front over an 08s and dump it into a evom gt700! Then this discussion is mute.

thoughts on my rambles as I digest this recent test drive and the decision on which to buy?

Oh and this doesnt even take into consideration that I cant find an 05/06 turbo with pdcc vs 08 S which is pretty easy to find. If I can corner faster in an 08 pdcc... will i enjoy the 08 more?? rofl. Or at least I havnt seen an 05/06 with silver selection buttons which I have read is an indication of pdcc.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
In short you are still all over the place with your narrowing. There are
Lots of differences in the 04/05/06 with pano and pdcc cs those newer with or without. What's your end dollar availability? Maybe look at the 2008 gts?
Lag in the older years is more noticeable than yhe 2008 turbos and even less with the new 8 speed 2011's.

Good luck

Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Sorry.. guess i wasnt very clear. I was really looking for some input on power and torque (perceived or otherwise) in daily driving between an 05/06 turbo S model and an 08 S non turbo model.

Ive found the two vehicles im interested in.... Ive narrowed it down to two specific vehicles... an 06 turbo s and an 08 S. I know what features Id like and which im willing to do with out... neither has PDCC and Im resigned to the idea that i wont find an 06 with it. According to my research less than 10% of any 06 turbos had PDCC and that is probably even less for turbo S models. Ive already done all the paper research on what options are important to me. i was just surprised by this test drive how each vehicle "felt"

Price wise Im around $40k for either the 06 turbo S or an 08 S. Better prices can be found.

For a variety of reason i narrowed it down to 06 and 08 and then down to these two specific vehicles.

For the record.. the two that I test drove are not the ones Im considering buying. I only list the features of the vehicles I drove to provide insight into the butt dyno discussion.

Im fairly certain on Monday I will make an offer on the 06 turbo S and put a new exhaust on it so regain the wonderful growl of the 08 s. From what I understand.. removing the final cat on the 06 turbo S will accomplish this.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
On the turbo, if u get it, just gget secondary cat bypass pipes. You will be more than happy with the growl.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
I don't believe PDCC was available until the 2008 models. I didn't think the pano rood was available on an '06 either.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Is PDCC even remotely needed for street driving in a Cayenne?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Is PDCC even remotely needed for street driving in a Cayenne?
PDCC is anti roll. It allows you to corner faster by keeping the car level in a turn.

PASM might not be needed. But it was standard in turbo S models. PDCC was an option on top of PASM.

In any case.. my cayenne will be off road frequently. Its off road capabilities are superior to many standard SUV's. Its one of the reasons I am buying it. I prefer how it feels on dirt and gravel to my current off road truck.

http://tinyurl.com/243aj3s

Last edited by occam; 10-31-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by copasetic222
I don't believe PDCC was available until the 2008 models. I didn't think the pano rood was available on an '06 either.

PDCC was supposed to be available.. But I haven't seen one with it. I haven't been able to confirm it myself via research. Pano was available. I found the 06 turbo S flyer online. Pano is listed on page 6. And Ive seen quite a few for sale.
http://www22.porsche.com/all/transit...rbo_s_my06.pdf

Last edited by occam; 10-31-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by carreracup03
On the turbo, if u get it, just gget secondary cat bypass pipes. You will be more than happy with the growl.
thx. That's the plan. Ive seen the youtube vids. It looks like a must have mod. I love hearing the turbos spool with the cat bypass pipe. Good stuff

Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 AM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by occam
PDCC was supposed to be available.. But I haven't seen one with it. I haven't been able to confirm it myself via research. Pano was available. I found the 06 turbo S flyer online. Pano is listed on page 6. And Ive seen quite a few for sale.
http://www22.porsche.com/all/transit...rbo_s_my06.pdf
According to this article, PDCC was new for 2008:

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...e-cayenne.html

Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by copasetic222
According to this article, PDCC was new for 2008:

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...e-cayenne.html

excellent find. thank you. I had been "told" it was available but was unable to confirm it.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 AM
found the answer...
turbo dyno

Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM
S dyno

Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 AM
weight not being a consideration.. the turbo (torque) tapers off where as the S continues to pull harder and harder. So the S continues to push you back into the seat where as the turbo actually eases up. Hence my feeling that the turbo was smoother. The first graph is a stock motor and the second is a tuned motor hence the power diff. Plus dyno jets always seem to read higher than mustangs anyway. Looks like it was 100% perception... at least now I understand why.

Just for giggles I will have to find a chart on the turbo response to see how it spools. I would guess that the new diverters and the by pass exhaust would drastically change that turbo graph in terms of turbo response.

Last edited by occam; 10-31-2010 at 08:09 AM.