Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test drove '11 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
pedah3 is on a distinguished road
Test drove '11 Hybrid

Got a chance for a drive in the new hybrid last night. Now I dont have any experience in a hybrid of any sort, so not sure how it compares to others out there.

I found it interesting (and quite distracting) how often the engine cuts off and the tach drops to "ready" (or Zero) as it switches to battery mode. This is especially evident in stop-and-go traffic as it constantly switches between battery and engine. You can just feel the engine switch off and on, but in actual performance, it drives as you would expect. Just a very different "feel" which is hard to explain.

On the freeway, it behaves as a totally normal car, and seems to switch to pure battery mode much less often. It drove and felt very similiar to the standard Cayenne S.

I really didnt find any lag on the throttle if the car was in battery mode and wanted quick acceleration, the engine pops on and away you go. I did find, however, in "sport mode" the car performed much more "normal." My guess is that it tended to keep the engine on more so it felt much quicker. Probably much less fuel efficient, but seemed to make a huge difference in the performance.

So overall, a very interesting experience. I was glad to test the car as new technology is always exciting. Maybe I would get used to the constant switching on and off of the engine, but on initial experience, I think will stick with the more conventional engine options.

Now I just have to decide on color choices! So few of the new Cayennes around making it hard to decide since you cant see the various colors in person.

Last edited by pedah3; 11-04-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Pedah3, thank you for sharing your experience. I've never driven/owned a hybrid. No itch to do so. I hear you on the lack of inventory on our neck of the woods. The last time I went to one of the dealers in the Seattle area, they had one 2011 in the lot and three people waiting inside to test drive it ??/!!!. If you have any color in mind and would like to see some nice shots let me know. I can post it. Although I agree nothing like seeing it in person but with good quality images (like in Manmachine's thread on real life pics of 2011 Cayennes) you get a fairly good idea. I ordered both my interior/exterior (and for that matter all the options in it) sight unseen/or undriven. Never driven a PDCC/PTV equipped one, did not know how the jet black, espress/cognac, Panorama roof looked like ... just went for it. Good luck with your search. Loving your stable of cars. Would the Cayenne be an addition or a replacment for the X5. Curious to hear your thoughts on the X5 vs Cayenne (although the diesel is probaably not an apple to apple comparison) as one of the faithful 6speed member is still on the border deciding between a X5 and a Cayenne.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-04-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Smile

The Cayenne will replace the X5. The BMW has been a good car, and do really enjoy the diesel, but have had a number of niggly issues with the car and dealers have not been great about fixing issues. It was my first BMW and I ordered it sight unseen and it was the very first delivered diesel in the state so never had a chance to drive the new engine. The X5 drives very nice and comfort is good, I just am tired of the quality issues so time to move on.

I've considered the Auburn Metallic color and found just one picutre of one, but feel it will be dramatically different in person. I generally like more bold color choices and would have gone with Amythest but dont see the need for 2 purple cars .

I am also leaning towards a 2-tone interior, but would really like to see one in person. I am worried about the lighter color for the back and carpets as they would look really dirty fast.

Pretty much decided on the turbo, and will likely just place an order once I get a chance to test drive one.

Last edited by pedah3; 11-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
This review suggests Porsche has a few things to work out still with the hybrid.

http://money.cnn.com/video/luxury/20...n_bin&hpt=Sbin

Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Davykurniadi is on a distinguished road
pedah3, don't buy the hybrid!!! Porsche decided to take back mine (received in Sept'10) due to "unsolved battery heating problem" which heat up the rear passenger cabin temperature to 32 celsius no matter how cold you set the AC. They are replacing my hybrid with an S which they promised to deliver it to me sometimes in Feb'11. I'm still waiting to received the confirmation e-mail to confirm my production/delivery date.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for headsup - 99% going Turbo. Otherwise "S"