Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Indecisive on Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
RisingAgainst is on a distinguished road
Indecisive on Exhaust

Ok, so on my 04 CS, I have already had a custom cat-back maganflow exhaust put on, and honestly, its not "too bad", but it is definitely louder than I want; especially considering I have intentions of removing the secondary cats soon. I am on the fence between ordering a new exhaust (complete), or possibly adding on a secondary set of mufflers in the very rear, as mine are in the mid section of the vehicle.

I already have the EVOMS intake and a sprintbooster installed, which are nice, but I am not sure I am in the market for a 3k exhaust when I would probably prefer the KW coilovers if I had intentions of spending 3k.

I found out that my cats were not in fact removed as I had been told when I did the original exhaust job, but instead of removing them, my tuner and I have intentions of "gutting" them and re-welding them shut, vice replacing the pipes. Before this can happen, I need to modify or replace my current exhaust to prevent an absurdly noisy system.

I am open to all thoughts and suggestions, but again am trying to avoid a 3k splurge unless absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
I just modified my OEM muffler by adding 3/4" by-pass pipes between the inlet and exit of the muffler. Really simple and cheap to do plus it looks completely sleeper. I also removed my secondary cats and welded a pipe there. It sounds really close to stock at idle but like a tuned monster at WOT. I'm satified and only spent about $350 to have it done here in Houston.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by FastHackem
I just modified my OEM muffler by adding 3/4" by-pass pipes between the inlet and exit of the muffler. Really simple and cheap to do plus it looks completely sleeper. I also removed my secondary cats and welded a pipe there. It sounds really close to stock at idle but like a tuned monster at WOT. I'm satified and only spent about $350 to have it done here in Houston.
That's almost EXACTLY what I am after, my problem now: I no longer have the stock exhaust.

Anybody want to trade stock exhaust for a magnaflow setup?!? haha

Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
HAHA I would have if you had asked me that before I did the mod but I am happy with what I've got now. I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a swap partner because a lot of people on here change up the exhaust. Try posting it in the "for sale" section.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
HAHA I would have if you had asked me that before I did the mod but I am happy with what I've got now. I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a swap partner because a lot of people on here change up the exhaust. Try posting it in the "for sale" section.
Figures right? I would love to post it there, but my post count is less than half of the required amount.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
You're almost there. I'm sure there are plenty of threads that you can find interest in. Good Luck!!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road

Any pictures of your exhaust (bypass pipes you had installed)? Is this on a turbo?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Yup, I've got pictures I can post later tonight when I get home from work. Also, its a CS 2004.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Yes, I'd like to see what you're talking about too. I'm thinking its the same as folks did to their F-body GM. The IN and OUT of the muffler ran side-by-side, so they just put a pipe there... sortof bypass' the muffler, but not entirely.

Issue here is that our IN and OUT aren't near one another ?

Yup, I've got pictures I can post later tonight when I get home from work. Also, its a CS 2004.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Promised Pictures of Custom Cat Deletes and Muffler Bypass

Alright Guys here ya go:
This is the 3/4" conduit bent to a 90 degree angle and installed between the entry and exit of the muffler:

These are the cat delete pipes:

Gotta love the custom hardware that was laying around the shop!! Freakin stockers broke off upon removal with air tools.

Hope this helps in your decisions. Sure saved me a few thousand dollars. I plan on painting the muffler satin black next.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RisingAgainst
That's almost EXACTLY what I am after, my problem now: I no longer have the stock exhaust.

Anybody want to trade stock exhaust for a magnaflow setup?!? haha
I might be interested in your setup for a swap. Can you post or shoot some pics to me?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
I might be interested in your setup for a swap. Can you post or shoot some pics to me?
Absolutely. Give me a little bit and I will have them up today

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Why didn't I think of this .

I already have an appt to get the circuit boards under the shifter replaced (no Tip, no key release, odd light issues, etc) at my local INDY. I plan to set this up next. I'm going with Steel. Anything else would cause corrosion/rust... as its far away from SS on the Periodic Elements Table.

Excited about this one !

Probably not getting the 2nd Cat done yet. I think it keeps a little of the 'ratty-tat-tat' sound I've heard out of the WOT. We Shall See.

Alright Guys here ya go:
This is the 3/4" conduit bent to a 90 degree angle and installed between the entry and exit of the muffler:

Hope this helps in your decisions. Sure saved me a few thousand dollars. I plan on painting the muffler satin black next.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
You won't be disappointed! Best bang for the buck so far on this expensive to mod vehicle. Anyone that knows how to weld and is handy around the garage can do the muffler mod for under 30 bucks.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Here's some pics I took today: