Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help me decide which car to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
Help me decide which car to buy

So I have been going back and forth on a lot of cars recently. Like most I get bored of cars easily. Right now I am driving a 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD (for about 6 months) because I wanted a relaxed reliable DD, but now I walk to work so no need for that. Before that I had a modified 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. Before the GS 350 purchase I had my heart set on a E60 M5. I couldn't find one that wasnt ragged out for the price I was looking so I skipped it. So long story, short I am looking to buy a more fun car. I have been pretty deadset on getting a Cayenne Turbo but I want to keep my options open.

I am planning to get the vehicle through Manheim Auctions unless I find a amazing deal through private sale or dealer.

So here are my options:

04 Cayenne Turbo <$27k (Pocket the Money saved and buy warranty/mods)
05-06 Cayenne Turbo $30-40k (Great car for my life, but could be more visually appealing and have heard mixed reviews on reliability/maint costs, still need 4k for Warranty)
06-07 M5 $30-40k (Still love these cars, but the transmission sucks; Leaning towards Manual in 07)
01 911 Turbo $30-40k (A lot of money for such a old car but responds to mods well)
05 997 C2S ~$40k (About as fast as stock 01 Turbo)
06 Jeep SRT-8 $20-28k (Faster than Cayenne turbo but kinda sucks as a SUV for offroading/towing/snow driving)
E39 M5 $15k+ (Still a sucker for these but the Carbon buildup issue is annoying)

Let me know your pro's and con's for each vehicle especially if you have owned any of them or gone on extensive testdrives.

Last edited by VTGT; 11-11-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Never driven any of those. But I will tell you one thing. The E39M5 was the best sport sedan on this planet...until the Porsche Panamera came out. Longlive E39.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
I would go with the Cayenne turbo myself, make sure it has the upgrades done already and start modding it.

If you liked the E39M5, you should go for a ride in the new Cadillac CTS-V, you might be surprised...And it's reliable to boot.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VTGT
So I have been going back and forth on a lot of cars recently. Like most I get bored of cars easily. Right now I am driving a 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD (for about 6 months) because I wanted a relaxed reliable DD, but now I walk to work so no need for that. Before that I had a modified 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. Before the GS 350 purchase I had my heart set on a E60 M5. I couldn't find one that wasnt ragged out for the price I was looking so I skipped it. So long story, short I am looking to buy a more fun car. I have been pretty deadset on getting a Cayenne Turbo but I want to keep my options open.

I am planning to get the vehicle through Manheim Auctions unless I find a amazing deal through private sale or dealer.

So here are my options:

04 Cayenne Turbo <$27k (Pocket the Money saved and buy warranty/mods)
05-06 Cayenne Turbo $30-40k (Great car for my life, but could be more visually appealing and have heard mixed reviews on reliability/maint costs, still need 4k for Warranty)
06-07 M5 $30-40k (Still love these cars, but the transmission sucks; Leaning towards Manual in 07)
01 911 Turbo $30-40k (A lot of money for such a old car but responds to mods well)
05 997 C2S ~$40k (About as fast as stock 01 Turbo)
06 Jeep SRT-8 $20-28k (Faster than Cayenne turbo but kinda sucks as a SUV for offroading/towing/snow driving)
E39 M5 $15k+ (Still a sucker for these but the Carbon buildup issue is annoying)

Let me know your pro's and con's for each vehicle especially if you have owned any of them or gone on extensive testdrives.
of the mentioned I'd go for the Cayenne. if you can spend a bit more, get a less optioned newer cayenne, with the DFI.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
I would go with the Cayenne turbo myself, make sure it has the upgrades done already and start modding it.

If you liked the E39M5, you should go for a ride in the new Cadillac CTS-V, you might be surprised...And it's reliable to boot.
How long have you had your 04 Cayenne turbo? Any major repairs needed yet? Miles?

Not sure I can foot the bill on a new Cts-v just yet.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Any car from your list will be way more fun than your current Lexus GS. My Mom has one and even she found it boring.

If fun is the only factor, get a manual 997S.

Otherwise CTT is a good choice too.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by VTGT
How long have you had your 04 Cayenne turbo? Any major repairs needed yet? Miles?

Not sure I can foot the bill on a new Cts-v just yet.

Actually I've owned the CTT for a couple of weeks now, still getting accustomed to it, but enjoying the way it drives for the most part. I have all the original documentation for it and all service records and thankfully all the major repairs have been completed already. So far so good, I like to repair/work on my own stuff so this is a new challenge for me... Mine has 105,000 km's.

I think the most important repairs would be the coolant pipes (plastic O.E.M.), once they leak they usually take out the front torque seal (big $$$) to repair. Driveshafts have caused issues ($700.) Ignition coils...

I love the new V, awesome bang for the buck believe it or not, compare it to MB, B.M.W., Porsche it does very well, handling is superb, love the engine as well.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah a 04 cayenne turbo in great condition with aftermarket warranty and mods is sounding great.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Anybody else?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
The most fun will be the 996 turbo or the M5 if you need the extra space. Cayennes are great SUVs, but unless you need the utility, others are more fun.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by av2
The most fun will be the 996 turbo or the M5 if you need the extra space. Cayennes are great SUVs, but unless you need the utility, others are more fun.
Yeah I am a avid Skier/Golfer so the Cayenne Turbo makes the most sense if I am only going to have one vehicle. I am also 6'4 215 lbs+ so the Cayenne Turbo is the most comfortable as well.

Right now I live in a Gated community and only have space for one vehicle, otherwise I would love to have two or three. Hopefully I will be able to buy a place with a two or three car garage next year and eventually have a garage containing a Cayenne Turbo for Roadtrips/winter driving, a 911 Turbo (ideally cab) for Weekend duty, and M5 for good weather daily.

As of now I am leaning towards a 2005 Cayenne Turbo soley because of the Pano Roof (I love that feature). But i guess a low mileage mine 2004 Cayenne turbo may be worth a look as well. I will keep my options open.

Last edited by VTGT; 11-12-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
There's a story in the new Excellence magazine about buying a pre-owned Cayenne. I just received the magazine the other day and haven't had time to read it yet, but it looked like it goes into significant detail.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by copasetic222
There's a story in the new Excellence magazine about buying a pre-owned Cayenne. I just received the magazine the other day and haven't had time to read it yet, but it looked like it goes into significant detail.
Do you mind scanning it and posting in this thread as a image

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 AM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
Excellence Magazine article on used Cayennes

If I did it correctly, it is attached and accessible from the link below. Let me know if this doesn't work.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1289665766

Attached Files
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the article, very interesting reading. Makes me want to look at a few items now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which car to buy