Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

'05 CTT CPO Strut Replacement. Both of just one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
'05 CTT CPO Strut Replacement. Both or just one?

I've had a light "rattling" sound coming from the front left of my CTT for a while now and took it in to the dealer. They initially thought it was the front upper control arm but after replacing it AND aligning it the sound is still there.

So they ordered overnight a new air strut () to replace the worn out one. Well I just got a call from my service advisor telling me that he was checkign with PCNA to see if BOTH should be replaced or just one as they sent a PAIR of new struts. My advisor said he was more than happy to do both, but didn't want to get shafted with the bill if my CPO will only cover one...

So is it "normal" or should it be anticipated that both air struts should be replaced when only one is failing? Or just the one? It seems like it might possibly introduce some safety concerns with one being new and one being well worn (especially since the other has failed already and it is just a matter of time for the other one). Typically you only replace these in pairs (kind of like tires and brakes) but who knows what Porsche will do.

Suggestions from those who have been in this spot or who work for/with Porsche?

Thanks!

Last edited by PutterMcGavin; 11-16-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Woot! They replaced them both! I'm sure my email to him expressing my concern didn't hurt

Quick excerpt:

"Concern exists with the Cayenne and how it might react with one new strut and one old one. You do brakes in pairs, tires, etc. at the same time to avoid complications and I feel strongly the same exists in this situation. I don’t know if it will introduce bias in an awkward way that might jeopardize that car’s handling characteristics under certain circumstances with one strut reacting at one rate and the other reacting at another (although the passenger side hasn’t failed yet I’m sure it isn’t as “tight” and responsive as the new one from wear)."

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
Just curious how much this would have cost not under warranty? And how many miles on your ride?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
How many miles on yours?

My roads and conditions are very rough on my SUV. I worry about the costs of strut replacements after warranty.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 AM
I have 72k on the truck. I have no idea how much it would have cost out of warranty. I'm guessing, at the dealer, you're looking at upwards of $2000+ to do both front struts, alignment and whatever else they need to do.

...thank god for the CPO!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
whenever you do struts, links, brakes, tires, bushings.......they should always be done in pairs, unless the vehicle is extremely new and has almost no miles. Usually whatever caused the first part to fail will most likely have caused the other side to deteriorate as well.

Glad it got repaired properly for you.