Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Another cardan shaft story.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
GoldenPEPPA is on a distinguished road
Another cardan shaft story.

06 Cayenne V6, 68Kmiles...

On the 405 yesterday at about 70mph and BANGBANGBANG! I thought it was a flat tire but as I pulled off the roadit didn't feel like a bad tire.

Turns out that I was only about 2 miles from Circle Porsche in Long Beach, and they were actually OPEN and they had a mechanic in the shop who was available and they had a new cardan shaft in stock.

They had a catering company in the showroom feeding the guests so we sat down for about 2.5 hours while they fixed the car.

$1365 later and I'm on the road. Not bad... could have been worse for a Saturday afternoon. It's rare to find a P-Car dealer open on Sat., rare to have a technician who's available and a part in stock.

So I think there aren't any more goblins in the 2006 year... I don't think the V6 has coolant pipe issues.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
Lucky ;-)

Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up What rare "luck" (karma?)...

...I really love positive outcomes !

Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
evolveC4 is on a distinguished road
I glad you had a positive outcome,we have bought 2 porsches at Circle, they are a great dealer, by the way, that was my wife's catering company at the dealer yesterday, did you like the food?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by evolveC4
I glad you had a positive outcome,we have bought 2 porsches at Circle, they are a great dealer, by the way, that was my wife's catering company at the dealer yesterday, did you like the food?
great food... salads, pasta, sliders and desserts. My wife is a salad connoisseur and said the salad was fantastic. Fresh, prepared on site...

A+

And Circle Porsche was great. They EASILY could have blown me off, made me leave the car and fixed it on Monday. But they REALLY went out of the way to help... I'll be shopping for a Panamera here in a few months and I won't hesitate to check Circle's stock list when I'm ready even though I'm from Ventura county.

Last edited by GoldenPEPPA; 11-21-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
evolveC4 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comments, my wife will be glad that you enjoyed her menu.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
goldenpeppa.....seen you here before.....in the future, you can prebuy the shaft itself for 700-800 OEM.

Also, in case of emergency or frugality, any offroad shop could repair the same shaft with new bearings and rubber housing, 150 bucks....Im in Austin where this can be easily accomplished not sure about SoCal, Im also one of the other 6ers on here, at 100k now.....first owner. Would love to get another 80k out of it which I am sure will mean a few sets of plugs, oil changes, and tons of tires....

Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by cordsig79
goldenpeppa.....seen you here before.....in the future, you can prebuy the shaft itself for 700-800 OEM.

Also, in case of emergency or frugality, any offroad shop could repair the same shaft with new bearings and rubber housing, 150 bucks....Im in Austin where this can be easily accomplished not sure about SoCal, Im also one of the other 6ers on here, at 100k now.....first owner. Would love to get another 80k out of it which I am sure will mean a few sets of plugs, oil changes, and tons of tires....
true... I've seen replacement shafts with a HD bearing with a grease fitting for $400. But it was an emergency situation and I paid $820 for the shaft and 3hrs labor @ 155/hr.

Does anyone know if the replacement Porsche OEM shaft is any better than the original one?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GoldenPEPPA
true... I've seen replacement shafts with a HD bearing with a grease fitting for $400. But it was an emergency situation and I paid $820 for the shaft and 3hrs labor @ 155/hr.

Does anyone know if the replacement Porsche OEM shaft is any better than the original one?

I believe the new shaft is the same build as the original, from what others have mentioned, no redesign.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cordsig79

Cordsig - nice to hear that others are planning to keep theirs for a long time. I was ready to sell mine a few months ago, but now I really want to run it to 200K if I can.

Seems like everyone (including me) just complains about Cayennes and PCNA on these boards. But I recently noticed that when she runs well, it's like a honeymoon phase all over again. I think Eminem sings a song about me and my Cayenne - setting the garage on fire...

All is know is my Turbo V8 is absolutely purring right now, and on an '04 at that... now if only the transmission weren't clunking.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Hopefully I don't jinx myself. But I have 67k on my '06 S, and really no issues. Very happy with the car and it's my DD.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
After the Holidays I am close to 99k...........and been naked since year one when I put close to 50k miles on it out of the box in year one.

Got out of my old line of work. I really use mine like a cruiser with mainly highway cruising miles and very light driving/light braking.....its a 6er and I can see myself keeping it updated and always on back up in the garage once its paid off here shortly.

I got a feeling I am due for some Cayenne grief......cardan shaft or some kind of epic collapse we dont know the 6ers have in them...I went Indy/DIY since 52k and I have spent maybe 2k on the car in 3 years.......but always cared for.......dealership said it looked good when I brought it in for a drop by wash in Dallas.

Looking for a deal on 19s-20s and call it a day once I plop them on.