Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Swapping TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
George718 is on a distinguished road
Swapping TPMS sensors

How difficult is it to swap TPMS sensors from one set of CS wheels to another? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Simple - no problem having your tire guy do it while changing tires.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks....I thought I had to replace part of the sensor.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by George718
Thanks....I thought I had to replace part of the sensor.

Not the sensor... porsche says to replace the valve each time its removed from the sensor.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Porsche917
Not the sensor... porsche says to replace the valve each time its removed from the sensor.
probably cause the loctite, remove the valve and sensor together as one... no problems unless the rubber breaks and then replace rubber not 10$ stem

Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
pdxjim is on a distinguished road
I believe Tirerack makes the same statement regarding the valve.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm gonna put a call into the Porsche dealer to get a quote for me. I need the sensors that came with the stock wheels swapped to the 19" Design wheels I purchased. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
djenders has a spectacular aura aboutdjenders has a spectacular aura about
I have moved stock sensors on 4 cayennes to aftermakert wheels with zero probelms.

Any tire shop can do it when they mount the tires on the weels.

Very easy.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Just so you know your pricing...

Most shops will charge between $200-350 for this service as they tend to claim they need to remove the tire etc.

Not true, you only need to break the bead on factory wheels and most after-market, some cases you will need to remove the tire on after-market if the valve stem is located on the center of the wheel on some 3-pc designs.

We usually charge $100 on the service or $150 if the customer wants the wheels road-forced at the same time or $200 if Nitro fill is requested.

-Eli

Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the info Eli. I still haven't heard from my salesperson at Porsche regarding pricing for this service. If he charges anything over $200 I will look elsewhere. The 200 should more than cover swapping the sensors, installing rubber valvestems on the stock wheels, and mounting the 19" wheels to the Cayenne.
BTW, Does road-forcing mean balancing?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I just got the quote from Porsche to swap TPMS sensors. They want $55 a wheel! 8x55=$440 He claims they have to break down 8 tires to do the swap. I guess i'm gonna have to shop around.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by George718
I just got the quote from Porsche to swap TPMS sensors. They want $55 a wheel! 8x55=$440 He claims they have to break down 8 tires to do the swap. I guess i'm gonna have to shop around.
WOW, that's silly..... I'd gladly perform that service for 1/2 that price... Let the service guy know that if they had a Corghi Master they would never need to do that, they can clamp the tire down and perform the removal in one easy step!

Here's more information on road-force balancing: http://www.gsp9700.com/

-Eli

Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
You are charging $50 extra for nitro filling? Really? Come on guys, that's a rip off! It's not cost effective then

Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by canberk
You are charging $50 extra for nitro filling? Really? Come on guys, that's a rip off! It's not cost effective then
Let's be honest here, we are in business to stay in business, or why else offer these things?

Would you honestly spend over $7,000 on a piece of equipment only to offer out free services? Probably not, I'm sure you would want to make your money back, well imagine how many fills I would need to do in order to get back what I put into the cost? Also subtract the additional man hours added to do this, not to mention the cost of filter changes, space etc.

We also purchased a 2011 Hunter Road Force this year, I hope you wouldn't expect to have free balancing/ road forcing done.

I've called around and most shops that offer Nitrogen fill usually charge $20 per wheel, most places charge $25 each Porsche wheel to mount and and other $20 each to road force. These are based on average cost local to our shop and most will charge $10-20 more to swap sensors "if the tires are being changed"....

I'm sure anyone in the business will agree that if we are offering it as a service we still need to make something other wise how can we expect to stay in business.

We have two Nitro generators so with over $15,000 in these two units to purchase and maintain I would hope that you would understand $50 is a pretty fair deal when it comes to all the logistics.... If you want regular air, not problem it is FREE.

All I will say is if you don't want it no problem, choose not to pay the extra $50 and call it a day but please don't make me feel like I'm trying to take advantage of my 6-spd customers, I always go out of my way to take care of the Porsche family.

I'm sure you can ask around here that we've always been a fair shop to deal with, we've even charged $80 per hour to service Porsche cars (factory trained tech). "Who does that?" -We do-

-Eli