Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

extended warranty????? - how to get

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
extended warranty????? - how to get

My 2008 has 47K miles
Is there any way to get Porsche extended warranty or am I highly screwed. Also - what 3rd party warranty people dealt with before?

I should have bought older car with CPO i guess (((((((((((

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LCatGA
My 2008 has 47K miles
Is there any way to get Porsche extended warranty or am I highly screwed. Also - what 3rd party warranty people dealt with before?

I should have bought older car with CPO i guess (((((((((((
Did you ask a dealer? I haven't tried with my Cayenne, but I know other manufacturers, like BMW, allow you to purchase a warranty from a dealership anytime before the factory warranty runs out.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
I did ask a dealer

Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 PM
X GTS X will become famous soon enoughX GTS X will become famous soon enough
I need that info too..!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
I asked probably 6 dealers within 200 miles of my home. Half wanted to sell me some other third-party warranty, presumably because they make a killing writing the policy; half of the rest said it wasn't possible; the remaining one or two said they could do it for me, but the vehicle had to be re-titled in the name of the dealer to qualify for CPO. And if we did this, I would be on the hook to fix anything they found wrong with it.

I think one was willing to work a deal to keep the "interim" price low, since I'd be selling my car to the dealer, then re-purchasing it from him and paying sales tax again. I think their CPO cost was something like $3,200 or $3,400.

With your low mileage, I'd probably do it IF the coolant pipes had not gone yet, the cardan shafts, and the coils. $3K or $4K spread out over the remaining miles on the warranty is probably a fixed $1,000 per year (or $80/month) to pre-pay the biggies, and then any surprises. Plus there is probably some resale value.

I chose not to do it on mine since I was pushing 75K miles and I'd already hit some of the biggies. My understanding is the price is the same on a 50K mile vehicle as it is on a 95K mile vehicle.

Last edited by seankrider; 11-29-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Well, I think Sean covered the options pretty well. Although I'm surprised to hear any dealer is willing to CPO your vehicle, I thought that was shut down by PCNA a long time ago.

No, you're NOT screwed. You might be screwed (sans lube) if you pay a 3rd party $3-4 grand, though.

Be smart and do what big companies do...get bonded.
Take the $3-4 thousand dollars you would gamble away with an insurance company, and put it in an interest bearing account that will allow you free access to the money, should you need it for repairs.

If I was a bettin man, I would say that in 3-5 years the chances of you exceeding that fund are extremely low. Chances of coming out ahead are high.

The main cause of catastrophic failures in the V8 are usually due to coolant leaks. Be vigilant about checking for leaks regularly and you should be fine.

In a 2008 V8 the weak point is the coolant crossover manifold, located at the rear of the engine. This aluminum part is press fitted and glued to the manifold and can separate or pop off during driving (rare).

Otherwise it will likely just be minor stuff like rear hatch struts going bad.

Take Care,

Medtech