Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Might get an 08 CTT 17k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Might get an 08 CTT 17k miles

Just happened to see this used CTT in a used car lot for exotics while getting some lunch. Asked the dealer to drive it and he said take it, but be back in 20 minutes because of an appointment and they were closing. So I drove it to my house to show my wife and let her drive it a little. We were both very impressed with the performance. But on the way back to the dealer and after some repeated hard acceleration I noticed a bad smell. My guess is it was either exhaust or brakes. I am not very knowledgeable about mechanical stuff but when I drive my 911 really hard it does not have that smell.
Obviously I will take the car into a P dealer for PPI before finalizing the deal.

Also if I get it, I would be trading in my brand new lexus LX and thus will be losing quite a few luxury amenities that I like. I know I can add a Denson device for blue tooth and IPOD. And will need a rear entertainment system for the kids. But the NAV traffic, radar cruise, push botton start, and etc will have to be sacrificed for a much more exciting driving experience.

This CTT does not have PDCC, is there an aftermarket system that is comparable?

So anything I should look out for or worry about on this car.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Here are some pics of the CTT I am considering. Looking for some guidance please.
Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Well mine isn't a 2008, but I'm sure the drive is pretty similiar. You might be giving up a couple of things (luxuries) but I think it's a better choice than the Lexus. The smell you are experiencing could be ignition coils (burning smell-sulphur) according to some or some have mentioned that it might be from the intercoolers (trapped water) getting hot and smelling kinda swampy... Either way I would bet it's not serious.

Not sure if there is a substitute for PDCC, need someone to chime in that has compared with/without.

If you like it try to find another vehicle with PDCC to compare for yourself before you purchase.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for your input. Just did another drive with it today and again the smell is there, but only after hard acceleration. I have driven a GTS with PDCC and there is definitley a difference, but this car is priced so much lower then others that its something I would need to do aftermarket if available. Also noticed a CEL, salesman said its because car is due for service in 200miles. Anyway will do PPI if I proceed.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Subbie is on a distinguished road
For me the PDCC is a deal breaker, my thoughts:

If your spending the money to get the turbo for sportyness, then u certainly need the better handling to go with it.

My .02

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
medtech is on a distinguished road
There is no aftermarket solution for PDCC. I don't have it, therefore I don't miss it. I drive 25 miles every day on the city streets of LA...handling, brakes, and power are 3 things I have NO complaints about with the V8.

Watch some videos of the Cayenne on the track. This SUV already corners like a sports car. There is extremely little body roll (especially if you drive on the lowest ride height). IMO you don't need PDCC and it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker in any circumstance.

For me the Air-suspension is the most important feature, and you have that standard. You can select so many different ride heights and stiffness settings, it's great. Currently I'm driving mine on the loading height and sport setting. Awesome, and it handles great.

The 2008 can suffer from a coolant crossover manifold failure at the rear of the engine. This is at the connection to the cylinder heads.

Also, the turbos can sweat oil which collects at a low point where the high pressure line meets the intercooler piping. (This might be the source of your smell). Not a problem unless it becomes a major leak.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of input you want. You don't mention price, so we can't tell you if this is a good deal or not. The car looks great, and it's a CTT. If it passes PPI, you will love it.

I think you will smile from ear to ear every time you drive the CTT. The ride is unmatched in the SUV world.

If the price is right, I say go for it!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Medtech,
I agree it handles really well even without the pdcc. I notice the car lean around corners at the lower speeds but not so much at faster sweeping corners. Compared to the LX it is much more exciting to drive and does leave a big smile on my face.
You helped with a lot of my questions, well let you guys know how the it turns out.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Subbie,
I agree that the PDCC does make quite a difference and if I was ordering one I would definitley get it. Keep in mind it feels a lot more sporty then my Lexus....what wouldn't. Being that this car is priced 15 to 20 below others makes it hard to walk from. Right now have to see if I will take a loss on the Lexus and then if decide to move forward will do PPI. I am kind of suspicious of the very low asking price.

By the way a fellow 6speeder came along on the test drive and we both thought it felt faster then the 2011 CTT we test drove a month ago, very odd. Anyone else have opinions on the difference between the 2008 and 2011 in terms of acceleration.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I have owned 2 CTT's, an 04 and an 08. The 08 has been modified to 600 HP, so...

I test drove an 11 without PDCC, i thought the power was terrific for a stock car, but the handling was really lacking. The 11 is lighter which is one of the reasons its faster than a stock 08. The 08 your looking at may not be stock, if so who did the work and whats in it. Great tuners and parts are important.

I dont know what your price point is for this purchase but I am certain there are deals to be made on a new 2011's before year end.

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Subbie,
I agree that the PDCC does make quite a difference and if I was ordering one I would definitley get it. Keep in mind it feels a lot more sporty then my Lexus....what wouldn't. Being that this car is priced 15 to 20 below others makes it hard to walk from. Right now have to see if I will take a loss on the Lexus and then if decide to move forward will do PPI. I am kind of suspicious of the very low asking price.

By the way a fellow 6speeder came along on the test drive and we both thought it felt faster then the 2011 CTT we test drove a month ago, very odd. Anyone else have opinions on the difference between the 2008 and 2011 in terms of acceleration.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Subbie
I have owned 2 CTT's, an 04 and an 08. The 08 has been modified to 600 HP, so...

I test drove an 11 without PDCC, i thought the power was terrific for a stock car, but the handling was really lacking. The 11 is lighter which is one of the reasons its faster than a stock 08. The 08 your looking at may not be stock, if so who did the work and whats in it. Great tuners and parts are important.

I dont know what your price point is for this purchase but I am certain there are deals to be made on a new 2011's before year end.
There are deals on the new CTT's, I probably need to drive one again. Maybe the previous one I drove was f'ed up. My buddy and I both thought this 08 CTT felt much faster then the 2011 though. So if I am to pay double for a new one then it must be MUCH better.
As far as I can see the car has a stock exhaust and anything visible under the hood is stock. Have not verified about ecu tune, think it doesnt though.
Do you have the denson ipod/bt integration? Is the ipod hookup aux or usb?
What brand of ecu tune and other mods did you get and what do you recommend?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
4flynlow is on a distinguished road
ZZZSpeed:
What is the asking price?
What option codes does the vehicle have as these can add to the price very quickly.
If it is considerably below market there is always a reason.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by 4flynlow
ZZZSpeed:
What is the asking price?
What option codes does the vehicle have as these can add to the price very quickly.
If it is considerably below market there is always a reason.
55k asking price, orginal MSRP was 118k. Has damage to leather on dash near windshield. It is definitley around 20k below market, but I got a used 07 Range Rover SC for 20k under market and it only had a few hundred dollars of cosmetic damage to fix. And it gave me now problems for the 2 years I kept it.
But again will do a PPI and also has warranty till Dec 2012.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM
To answer your questions..

I did install the Dension Ipod gateway 500, I think it's aux. Didn't do the BT since the car had the phone thing built in, just needed a sim card.

As for the tune, Sharkwerks did the install of Evo's software and parts. Oh and a cargraphic exhaust.

I have a Newfoundland dog so the Cayenne is his daily driver . One thing about the 2011's is when the back seats are folded down they do not lay flat like the 08 seats, that's a problem for the dog. Just an FYI.

I was thinking, when u test drove both vehicles was the sport mode on? Makes a big difference in performance. I run the middle suspension setting when in sports mode, to stiff on sport suspension for me.

There are deals on the new CTT's, I probably need to drive one again. Maybe the previous one I drove was f'ed up. My buddy and I both thought this 08 CTT felt much faster then the 2011 though. So if I am to pay double for a new one then it must be MUCH better.
As far as I can see the car has a stock exhaust and anything visible under the hood is stock. Have not verified about ecu tune, think it doesnt though.
Do you have the denson ipod/bt integration? Is the ipod hookup aux or usb?
What brand of ecu tune and other mods did you get and what do you recommend?

Last edited by Subbie; 11-29-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Subbie
To answer your questions..

I did install the Dension Ipod gateway 500, I think it's aux. Didn't do the BT since the car had the phone thing built in, just needed a sim card.

As for the tune, Sharkwerks did the install of Evo's software and parts. Oh and a cargraphic exhaust.

I have a Newfoundland dog so the Cayenne is his daily driver . One thing about the 2011's is when the back seats are folded down they do not lay flat like the 08 seats, that's a problem for the dog. Just an FYI.

I was thinking, when u test drove both vehicles was the sport mode on? Makes a big difference in performance. I run the middle suspension setting when in sports mode, to stiff on sport suspension for me.
Yes the sport mode was on for the 08 and had it in sport plus on the 2011. Also switched around the different settings on suspension to feel the differences. If the Dension ipod is usb then it should show text on the pcm and be able to be controlled through the steering wheel or pcm buttons(which is much better). If it has to be controlled by the ipod itself then its aux. No dogs for me! My two little boys are enough.
Thanks for your info

Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok its the USB then, everything works off the PCM and Steering wheel.

Yes the sport mode was on for the 08 and had it in sport plus on the 2011. Also switched around the different settings on suspension to feel the differences. If the Dension ipod is usb then it should show text on the pcm and be able to be controlled through the steering wheel or pcm buttons(which is much better). If it has to be controlled by the ipod itself then its aux. No dogs for me! My two little boys are enough.
Thanks for your info

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Might get an 08 CTT 17k miles