Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Static with FM modulator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM
FlyYellow will become famous soon enoughFlyYellow will become famous soon enough
Static with FM modulator

Hi,

I purchased one of those new bluetooth speaker setups. Well one of its cool features is that it supports A2DP and has an FM modulator - so you can play your iphone/ipod through the fm modulator and pipe sound to the car stereo. You can do the same with phone calls.

Now the problem: There is a ton of FM static when using the FM modulator. I tried different stations with no luck. My friend bought the same unit and put it in his Toyota Minivan and it sounds great. I assume that's because the Cayenne has added shielding?

Has anyone come across this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
hulahula is on a distinguished road
An FM Modulator (wired) or an FM Transmitter (wireless)? If it is an FM modulator, it shouldn't be any "shielding" issues since it is "hard wired" to your FM antenna. Wired FM Modulators are installed. It establishes a connection somewhere between the antenna and the radio head unit.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM
FlyYellow will become famous soon enoughFlyYellow will become famous soon enough
A wireless one

Old 11-28-2010, 06:16 PM
RisingAgainst is on a distinguished road
Used to have the same issue with mine. I was using it for XM radio and the distortion was ridiculous. I completely replaced the factory PCM for a touch screen head unit that is functional with BT, nav, back up cam, Sirius and iPod to fix my problem.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Bummer. I was Hoping for an easy fix

Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 PM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
First, I know this is hard to comprehend, a car is not a car... Porsche - Toyota ?

To fix it, do a wired Fm modulator if you want to go that route. FM modulators are weaker now because of the new FCC laws and there is more shielding on the antenna heading to your radio from the rear of the vehicle than 12 Toyota antennas

Or add the Mobridge or Navtv phone/aux/ipod kit and settle for true integration than the... I am going to stick 5 things to my Toyota window add an accessory look

Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RisingAgainst
I completely replaced the factory PCM for a touch screen head unit that is functional with BT, nav, back up cam, Sirius and iPod to fix my problem.

Now I'm intrigued... what did you get, how much, and how hard to install??

That's one thing I never understood - my '04 Porsche didn't have some of the basic creature comforts that I got in '04 and '05 sub-compact rental cars... even a basic "aux" port.

One of the few things I'd love to upgrade on mine.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
hulahula is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
First, I know this is hard to comprehend, a car is not a car... Porsche - Toyota ?

To fix it, do a wired Fm modulator if you want to go that route. FM modulators are weaker now because of the new FCC laws and there is more shielding on the antenna heading to your radio from the rear of the vehicle than 12 Toyota antennas

Or add the Mobridge or Navtv phone/aux/ipod kit and settle for true integration than the... I am going to stick 5 things to my Toyota window add an accessory look
I agree that a M.O.S.T. system integrator (e.g. Dension Gateway 500, Mobridge) is the only way to go but I'd steer clear of Nav-TV. Mine is bit glitchy.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
OK - i'll ask the dumb question. If I get a wired fm-modulator will that work with my jabra bluetooth speaker with wireless fm-modulator?

I'm unsure how the wired fm-modulators work. Can they pick up the source wirelessly?

Thanks in advance for the bone head question...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by seankrider
Now I'm intrigued... what did you get, how much, and how hard to install??

That's one thing I never understood - my '04 Porsche didn't have some of the basic creature comforts that I got in '04 and '05 sub-compact rental cars... even a basic "aux" port.

One of the few things I'd love to upgrade on mine.
its an Alpine touchscreen of some sort... To be completely honest, I went into a local car toys and told them my gripes with the stock system, they wired in a new head unit and ran wiring to all of the stock bose speakers, once done I wasn't satisfied with sound quality so they installed high/low pass filters which dramatically increased sound quality. The alpine unit had all of the capabilities for BT, back up cam, nav & sat radio out of the box, so it was a simple and quick install. Total install for me was just over 1k.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by FlyYellow
OK - i'll ask the dumb question. If I get a wired fm-modulator will that work with my jabra bluetooth speaker with wireless fm-modulator?

I'm unsure how the wired fm-modulators work. Can they pick up the source wirelessly?

Thanks in advance for the bone head question...
A wired modulator would just run off of the "best" quality FM station, which might still leave you disappointed. If it is wired, it will be hard wired into your sat radio unit (or accessory) and directly into your head unit whether it be PCM or the stock CD changer.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by hulahula
I agree that a M.O.S.T. system integrator (e.g. Dension Gateway 500, Mobridge) is the only way to go but I'd steer clear of Nav-TV. Mine is bit glitchy.
Actually with experience (a lot of) I would do the NavTv piece over all of them. then Mobridge, then the Dension unit

There were a few bugs in the beginning with the NavTv stuff but they have been solid for the past year and work very well with the new iPhone4

Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by RisingAgainst
its an Alpine touchscreen of some sort... To be completely honest, I went into a local car toys and told them my gripes with the stock system, they wired in a new head unit and ran wiring to all of the stock bose speakers, once done I wasn't satisfied with sound quality so they installed high/low pass filters which dramatically increased sound quality. The alpine unit had all of the capabilities for BT, back up cam, nav & sat radio out of the box, so it was a simple and quick install. Total install for me was just over 1k.
a high low pass filter wouldn't work unless a using an amplifier unless you are talking about a passive crossover network. The Bose amp was optical in with no analog inputs, I dissected two amps trying to add analog into it, but everything was a chipset and wouldn't work like I wanted. besides with all the time I spent on trying to interface the audio, it was cheaper to get an audison srx5 5 channel amplifier

if you are using a passive crossover filter with the headunit and not an amplifier than you are effectively robbing about 30% of the whole whooping 18watts x 4 of power the radio puts out.

Further thinking about it they could of added the external alpine power amplifier that plugs into the back of the Alpine KTP445 I believe...

but to rewire the bose system with just power of the headunit sounds extremely bad, further there are 3 speakers in the front on each side in the cayenne, midbass, midrange in the door and the tweeter/mid in the dash...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
a high low pass filter wouldn't work unless a using an amplifier unless you are talking about a passive crossover network. The Bose amp was optical in with no analog inputs, I dissected two amps trying to add analog into it, but everything was a chipset and wouldn't work like I wanted. besides with all the time I spent on trying to interface the audio, it was cheaper to get an audison srx5 5 channel amplifier

if you are using a passive crossover filter with the headunit and not an amplifier than you are effectively robbing about 30% of the whole whooping 18watts x 4 of power the radio puts out.

Further thinking about it they could of added the external alpine power amplifier that plugs into the back of the Alpine KTP445 I believe...

but to rewire the bose system with just power of the headunit sounds extremely bad, further there are 3 speakers in the front on each side in the cayenne, midbass, midrange in the door and the tweeter/mid in the dash...
You are absolutely right. I have the original amp/cd changer on the floor of my garage. I didn't maintain the original wiring either, it has all been replaced with a thicker guage wire. Next step for me is possibly a focal speaker upgrade. My alpine model is a iXA-W404, from there on, I do not recall the specifics as far as the wiring/amp goes. I wish I knew more about the system to elaborate further, but as far as I can tell, I'm impressed with the quality of the sound, even at very high levels.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Do the Hertz space 8 's in the door along with the HL70.4, and space 1" tweeter in the dash... amplify and you will never want to leave your vehicle... Focal ain't what it used to be... www.hertzaudiovideo.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Static with FM modulator