Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Why the Cayenne TT was a rational choice for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Babag 007 will become famous soon enoughBabag 007 will become famous soon enough
Why the Cayenne TT was a rational choice for me

My last daily ride was an AMG CLS 63. Comfortable tight ride. Plenty of naturally aspirated juice. And handled great... at least until there was weather...

Which is why the 2011 CT was a totally rational choice for me...

As you know, high performance sedans are notoriously bad performers in weather. A pleasant morning commute in your AMG or M-series can turn into a white nuckle experience when your afternoon includes heavy rain or freezing conditions on the drive home... and that's on a good day... Add some snow and ice and now you're praying to G-d that you don't end up dead in the water.

And experientially, it's about that time of year here in the US mid-Atlantic when you're facing weather and throttling down to 45 mph on the highway and those damn AWD Audi's fly past you... throwing rooster tails like slalom skiers carving smooth water and you're thinking, "damn, I wish I had one of them bad boys right now".

But then the weather turns sunny and you return to the bliss of post-120 mph highway crushes and WOT blasts with screaming pipes and you wouldn't even consider less power cause' you love the feel of the performance sedan. Until the next time the weather gets serious...

If you're like me, it was tricky enough getting the wife to accept a sedan, PLUS a minty 911 TT... bringing home a third car would simply be a death defying feat more dangerous than F1 racing.

Admittedly, the CT does not handle as well as the AMG's of the world. But in Sport mode it's damn close. AND it's still safe and stress free to drive in the rain. AND it's a beast in the snow. AND you can put your mother in law in the stowage area and not get arrested for locking her in the trunk (why the smirk..? bet you at least thought of doing that...

Bottom line; if you live in a part of the world where it rains and/or snows, and you want a high performance year round vehicle, the porsche Cayenne is a rock star. And you don't need weather as an excuse either

Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Let's go off-roading and see what happens versus my G550.

Both awesome vehicles either way.

They're built for different purposes, but I chose the G on looks. The Cayenne is better than it used to be, but nothing looks like a G.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Babag 007 will become famous soon enoughBabag 007 will become famous soon enough
Your G Wagen is One Bad Mo Fo!

Racing you in the dirt would be like me stepping into the ring with Mike Tyson Unless we were to race on an dirt flat track

The G 550 G 55 are serious rides. In all seriousness... how does it ride on the highway? they are somewhat rare in these parts of the world and I've never had the pleasure of demo'ing one...

Thx!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Babag 007
Your G Wagen is One Bad Mo Fo!

Racing you in the dirt would be like me stepping into the ring with Mike Tyson Unless we were to race on an dirt flat track

The G 550 G 55 are serious rides. In all seriousness... how does it ride on the highway? they are somewhat rare in these parts of the world and I've never had the pleasure of demo'ing one...

Thx!
Yeah it's amazing at 50 mph on fire roads. I've bottomed out the front suspension at that speed or more with my 2 and 4 year old in the car (I'm introducing them to my life early!) and it soaks up the bumps so well that even at bottom-out, there's no big impact and they're just laughing and asking for more.

It rides awesome on the highway. I swap my kids with my ex every couple weeks which means the G sits in the driveway while I drive my Turbo, and the G-wagen is just so comfortable on the highway. Other than the braking being a bit unstable, the power is awesome and I ride in perfect comfort. It's just amazingly comfortable in every respect. I have to come back to how amazingly comfortable it is off-road. I'm amazed how well it makes nothing of big bumps.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Scott, very cool experience with having the different rides. Drove the CT on a 3 hr run. Then switched to the 911. Wow; felt even more fun!