Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

knock-off's vs OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
knock-off's vs OEM wheels

What do you guys think about the quality of knock-off's vs. OEM wheels? I'm itching for some Turbo ll's but not bad enough to pay $6000+ for OEM ones. Are the others as solid and safe as the OEM's? Any issues with finish in general, cracking, out of round etc.?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Regarding OEM wheel replicas there are quite a few sellers these days which are offering products manufactured from new or unreliable sources.

I know that with 95% of our suppliers have either been supplying WD with wheels for over 5-years or have multiple certifications on file such as TUV, JWL VIA etc.

We've had a couple of suppliers which we had to cut over time due to the inconsistencies in quality, that is the job of the retailers and I'm sure that is what each consumer would expect. There are quite a few vendors who would love to put there wheels on our site but since we feel the quality is not up to par we choose not to ruin our reputation over inconsistent products.

It's important to trust who you are purchasing from, we do sell on ebay as well but when buyers compare our operation and coverage they understand that we have been around quite a while and will be around if they need any support.

-Eli

Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
and there are some wheels(replicas) that came from the same manufacturer..less brand name...best is to do some research...........

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
ccweems is on a distinguished road
Apart from quality issues look at availability. Today you get a great price on some chrome plated knockoffs. Two years from now the wife/GF hits a pot hole at speed. Chunk missing on one wheel, bad scrapes on another. What then?
1. Your wheel no longer in production.
2. You find it someplace used for $500.
3. Damaged wheel requires $100 for repair and $250 for re-chrome.

Suggest you find OEM take-offs at a good price. You then get proven quality and while the price will be high you will be able to find a replacement wheel quickly. Finding a good deal will take a little longer.

If you need a wheel because of an accident its covered by insurance anyway. Speaking of insurance some policies only cover replacement of OEM components. Just another thing to consider.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ccweems
Apart from quality issues look at availability. Today you get a great price on some chrome plated knockoffs. Two years from now the wife/GF hits a pot hole at speed. Chunk missing on one wheel, bad scrapes on another. What then?
1. Your wheel no longer in production.
2. You find it someplace used for $500.
3. Damaged wheel requires $100 for repair and $250 for re-chrome.

Suggest you find OEM take-offs at a good price. You then get proven quality and while the price will be high you will be able to find a replacement wheel quickly. Finding a good deal will take a little longer.

If you need a wheel because of an accident its covered by insurance anyway. Speaking of insurance some policies only cover replacement of OEM components. Just another thing to consider.
+1 to all of that. Knock-offs are suspect quality at best. You can find lots of OEM wheels for these cars on eBay for pretty cheap money.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Both our Cayennes have 21" rims so wanted to downsize for the winter tires. I bought non-branded ebay "read cheap" rims for my winter tires on my '09 Cayenne. One of the rims took a LOT of weight to get it to balance. When I needed rims for the winter tires for the '11 I got them from Tire Rack. While not OEM, much better than the non-branded ones from ebay.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
tivs31 is on a distinguished road
Replicas suck, no matter which ones you get they are CRAP, they bend, crack, and generally a heavier than OEM wheels as well.

You drive a porsche, stop being a cheap ***

Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tivs31
Replicas suck, no matter which ones you get they are CRAP, they bend, crack, and generally a heavier than OEM wheels as well.

You drive a porsche, stop being a cheap ***
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've seen almost every single Porsche OEM wheel "bend", "crack", or "out of round" from the 914 to the CGT, I've been repairing wheels for around 9-years now and well let's just say I've seen it all....

You're discriminating against all manufactures which do not manufacture for Porsche then?

Pretty harsh statements there, stick around longer, welcome to the forums.

-Eli

Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I know oem wheels bend crack and whatever all the time, but OEM wheels are still much much stronger than replica's.

I am not saying aftermarket wheels suck, but I am saying that cheap $200 replicas do.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor
I know oem wheels bend crack and whatever all the time, but OEM wheels are still much much stronger than replica's.

I am not saying aftermarket wheels suck, but I am saying that cheap $200 replicas do.
Here is your actual quote: "Replicas suck, no matter which ones you get"

I'm not sure if you're new to forums in general but people will catch your ever word.... I understand that maybe you might have shot off that last post from the hip. Have fun and enjoy the ride, there is plenty to learn..

Take care,

-Eli

Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 AM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've seen almost every single Porsche OEM wheel "bend", "crack", or "out of round" from the 914 to the CGT, I've been repairing wheels for around 9-years now and well let's just say I've seen it all....

You're discriminating against all manufactures which do not manufacture for Porsche then?

Pretty harsh statements there, stick around longer, welcome to the forums.

-Eli
I have to agree. I have owned all sorts of wheels with my various cars. I've had forged wheels bend, Techart, OEM, BBS and the Rinspeeds I roll on now. The rinspeeds have had to be repaired 3 times for cracks on the inside barrel. My wife's ML, on the other hand, rides on MB reps and they are great and strong (my wife hits every pothole like she's aiming for them). It has more to do with roads and how much tire you've got protecting them and even what kind of tire. A lot of OEM wheels are sometimes even made by the same company that makes reps. There aren't that many large volume wheel manufacturers out there so many take orders from whomever and will build to their desired specs. I have no problem with reps...nice thing about them is they are cheap. Break one, buy another...no biggie...not going to cost u an arm and a leg. And for a cayenne or any other truck, who really cares how heavy they are? It's not a GT3 it's a truck. My 23" wheels weigh a ton but it rides and handles WAY better than with the stock 19's. The ride will actually be smother and less jittery with a heavier wheel. Jusy my opinion

Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Here is your actual quote: "Replicas suck, no matter which ones you get"

I'm not sure if you're new to forums in general but people will catch your ever word.... I understand that maybe you might have shot off that last post from the hip. Have fun and enjoy the ride, there is plenty to learn..

Take care,

-Eli
No I've been around forums for quite a while, and furthermore, I'll stick with my original quote, the reason they are replica's are because they are cheaper than the real deal, for instance a BBS lm replica which was frequent around 3-4 years ago was a replica of a bbs lm, if they were the same price, people would buy the forged lm, not the cast bendy replica, but they were 1/8th the price, so you should expect what you get with them, ie bendy, heavy, cheap, but they will look good for about 2-3 months before the cheap paint starts flaking off.

You can quote whatever you like see oem wheels bend / break / whatever, but you can't say that a wheel 1/2 the price is better in any way shape or form to an oem wheel.

Furthermore, is it ok to get a folex and walk around like your wearing a rolex?

Knock off/replica wheels are fakes, you can rationalize it anyway you would like, but they are FAKE.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
microboby can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by quattrotman
I have to agree. I have owned all sorts of wheels with my various cars. I've had forged wheels bend, Techart, OEM, BBS and the Rinspeeds I roll on now. The rinspeeds have had to be repaired 3 times for cracks on the inside barrel. My wife's ML, on the other hand, rides on MB reps and they are great and strong (my wife hits every pothole like she's aiming for them). It has more to do with roads and how much tire you've got protecting them and even what kind of tire. A lot of OEM wheels are sometimes even made by the same company that makes reps. There aren't that many large volume wheel manufacturers out there so many take orders from whomever and will build to their desired specs. I have no problem with reps...nice thing about them is they are cheap. Break one, buy another...no biggie...not going to cost u an arm and a leg. And for a cayenne or any other truck, who really cares how heavy they are? It's not a GT3 it's a truck. My 23" wheels weigh a ton but it rides and handles WAY better than with the stock 19's. The ride will actually be smother and less jittery with a heavier wheel. Jusy my opinion
Well said , Most High end wheel re-seller will bash on Replicas but lets hear from real experiences from people that has them. I bet that some of those lower priced wheels are even better than some of the MTV Hyped expensive wheels.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
No I've been around forums for quite a while, and furthermore, I'll stick with my original quote, the reason they are replica's are because they are cheaper than the real deal, for instance a BBS lm replica which was frequent around 3-4 years ago was a replica of a bbs lm, if they were the same price, people would buy the forged lm, not the cast bendy replica, but they were 1/8th the price, so you should expect what you get with them, ie bendy, heavy, cheap, but they will look good for about 2-3 months before the cheap paint starts flaking off.

You can quote whatever you like see oem wheels bend / break / whatever, but you can't say that a wheel 1/2 the price is better in any way shape or form to an oem wheel.

Furthermore, is it ok to get a folex and walk around like your wearing a rolex?

Knock off/replica wheels are fakes, you can rationalize it anyway you would like, but they are FAKE.

Haha....this is funny stuff.

My girlfriend wanted some wheels for her Audi about 5 years ago. I bought a set of 18" reps for the car and have been totally happy with them.

They are scratched and beat to hell at this point from curb rash and a blown tire at 80mph. Still perfectly round, balance easily and look fine for what they cost. I would feel a lot worse if we had paid oem prices.

I'm considering picking up another set of reps but a different style for the car now to freshen up the look. Will be in it for a fraction of the cost of oem.

Paying more does not garantee quality or taste.

Not saying there is never a time to buy a brand name wheel. Just saying there is a time to spend wisely.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM
So you've had a good experience with a replica, and I've had a bad one.

But in general, your saying that a folex that works for 2 years is just as good as a rolex....

Your buying a Porsche, a 60-120k car, and then your gonna go out and slap some 200$ wheels on it? There's a reason you drive a porsche, and a reason why you should buy hi-end aftermarket wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: knock-off's vs OEM wheels