Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cayenne turbo upgrade turbo chargers

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
This thread died. Let's resurrect!

1. Are the turbo manifolds different on the 955 and the 957? I imagine they are, but if not, just swapping to the TD04s would be an inexpensive upgrade.

2. If different, it should be fairly simple to have the RHF5s modified to flow better. A brand new turbo is only $850 from Suncoast. Does anyone have any ideas on that or someone who has already modified or "hybrid"ized?
The TD04 is good idea!

Looking at TD04 Turbochargers online (universal...the exh inlet flange looks to be the same...so a TD04 should bolt on. BUT. all the oil and water lines would be another story, possibly different routing, etc. I dont know what the exhaust outlet flange is on the TD04, but on my 04 CTT the exhaust flange is a weird 5 star pattern and its huge (4+"??)! I cant find a place that sells just the flange. So I am going to have some made and some primary delete pipes made

My big question is: Has anybody ever removed and installed a turbo without removing the engine!? It's a tight fit in there. lol.

I like this thread, lol

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Engine should not be "that hard" to get out. Just like doing a turbo swap on a B5 S4 Audi.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:29 PM
m5james is on a distinguished road
Thread bump since it's the ONLY thread I've found in regards to upgrading the turbos. Aside the fact of this being a Porsche, a turbo is just a turbo, so I'm surprised I don't see more threads in regards to making them larger and/or just upping the boost. The stock gauge reads .8 bar which is only like 11psi, which means each turbo is only putting out 5.5psi...that's nothing!! Why can't a good ol fashioned boost controller like a Greddy Profec be used, a fuel pressure regulator that rises the fuel rate at 1:1 with the boost and a larger fuel pump...just like every other vehicle out there. What are the stock injector sizes? What is the stock fuel pump(s) size?

I'm looking at an 05 CTT w/ a yet to be determined intake kit, muffler and maybe some other exhaust options (deleted 2nd cats, etc as I haven't been under the truck to look), but I'm still surprised how quiet the turbo and BOV is on these. The truck was quite laggy off the line, but once the boost came on, it definately had some power! I expected to hear howling and a huge WOOOSH...instead the turbos were as loud as if I'd cracked the window and I had to have the windows down just to hear the BOV.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
So much mis-information and nonsense. This has all been covered at least 10 times in ten different threads. If the 6speed search function isnt working for you the be assured google is your friend. The stock turbos are NOT k16's they are rfh5 anf they are rated by ihi @ 210 hp each. There are several hybrid options that will get you to around the 700hp mark. Please do not post "opinions" and try to back up claims with some fact or supporting evidence. Why people join here or come on and post demands for information and help is beyond me. Theres no free lunch.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
loxxrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by m5james
The stock gauge reads .8 bar which is only like 11psi, which means each turbo is only putting out 5.5psi...that's nothing!!
This is NOT true at all. Centrifugal pumps (of which turbos are a subset) will double in flow when run in parallel. When run in series, pressure is doubled. 99% of turbo systems are run in parallel including the Cayenne.

So you can say that if an engine flows 1000 CFM, each turbo is flowing 500 CFM. You cannot use this same relationship for pressure though.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
So much mis-information and nonsense. This has all been covered at least 10 times in ten different threads. If the 6speed search function isnt working for you the be assured google is your friend. The stock turbos are NOT k16's they are rfh5 anf they are rated by ihi @ 210 hp each. There are several hybrid options that will get you to around the 700hp mark. Please do not post "opinions" and try to back up claims with some fact or supporting evidence. Why people join here or come on and post demands for information and help is beyond me. Theres no free lunch.
I'm not sure who you're yelling at, but I've read about the stock turbos on the 4.5l being the RFH5 and then the 4.8l switched to a K16. I've tried using Google searches for "cayenne upgraded turbo" and I get nothing that points to anyone selling an aftermarket option for larger turbos. I did write two shops who I watched videos of them showing rebuilding a Cayenne engine and asked if they think the 4.8 turbo (assuming the information is correct) could be installed onto the 4.5 engine, but I've only gotten one reply saying they don't know. You say there are several hybrid options, so can you post those then to end the "opinions" w/ proven information? I don't know who's demanding anything, but forums like this are created to share information, so the free lunch would be saying something along the lines of "yes, install 4.8l turbos on your 4.5l engine, get some tuning and you'll be in the 700HP range since the 4.8l turbos can handle more HP". Just because it's a P car doesn't mean EVERYTHING has to be paid out the nose to get.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by loxxrider
This is NOT true at all. Centrifugal pumps (of which turbos are a subset) will double in flow when run in parallel. When run in series, pressure is doubled. 99% of turbo systems are run in parallel including the Cayenne.

So you can say that if an engine flows 1000 CFM, each turbo is flowing 500 CFM. You cannot use this same relationship for pressure though.
Fair enough...I just remember seeing the gauge on the dash reading .8 at it's highest, but naturally I didn't see this gauge until AFTER I'd driven the modified 05 I was looking at

Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
M5James, Welcome! There is not a lot of good information on this thread and loads of misinformation as Mr. Haney pointed out.

I assure you that there other turbo upgrade threads available on the boards. Something to keep in mind is that to replace the turbos on this platform, it is spec'd to be over 30 hours to drop the engine and replace. As such, there are very few turbo swaps out there.

If this is out of your budget (like most people), then I suggest changing tracks and start looking for bolt-on upgrades.

All said, if you are still interested, please open a new thread.