Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Manual trans fluid, diff fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:53 AM
mylai996 is on a distinguished road
Manual trans fluid, diff fluid

Just got a v6 manual for DD. Doesn't shift too good when cold but smooths out after warms up. Thinking of changing the trans fluid as well as diff fluid etc. Anyone with a manual GTS or v6 who've done this before can share what fluid to put in? Thanks in advance

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
nice job with the stickshift fleet!

on the "other forum" someone recommended royal purple synchromax

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...al-tranny.html

Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Mamut79 will become famous soon enough
yes, i did. I was a loyal RedLine user ( i still have it in all my diffs. ) but unfortunately not in my manual transmission. After initially changing fluid to Redline , i experienced 2 gear grind , only right after start up and go. i happened ever now and then. After contacting Redline HQ, and not getting much help from them, i decided to drain and fill again with same Redline fluid, thinking that maybe OEM and Redline fluid were "fighting" against each other. After 2 weeks first grind happened. i ignored it, i thought maybe im letting my leg to early , but no, It happened again and again. Then i remembered i had used Synchromax in my E46 M3. I gave it a shot, and...... It works No more dreaded grind, and tranny is like a new piece of equipment.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the detail explanation in Redline vs Royal Purple. I used Redline MTF in my Element and I used Royal Purple Syncromax in my 540i. As the BMW specifies ATF in their manual transmission, the Syncromax worked very well. I don't get too many grinds with the Element but I already got 2 grinds in the Cayenne. Does anyone know what weight of oil Porsche specify for their manual transmission in the Cayenne? I am just a bit worried that the Syncromax is too thin for that gearbox in terms of wear protection as it is formulated for manual transmissions designed to us ATF such as BMW. Otherwise it should improve shifting as Mamut79 had described.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
how do you like the car? Is it fun to drive? i'm considering this for my daily as well but i'm worried it will feel under powered. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Depends what you are driving as a DD now. I switch from a Honda Element to the Cayenne. Starting off the line, it is not as peppy as the Element due to the low gearing on the Cayenne and the smoother stick shift on the Element(hopefully this can be resolved with a change in transmission fluid). However, on the freeway where the Element will run out of breath due to only 5 spd manual going 4k rpm at 80mph, the Cayenne will cruise with comfort around 3k rpm at 80mph. Driving is quite a few steps up as I don't get the torque steer and front wheel spins from the Element(although it has the Honda awd pump system) and suspension is top notch as it sticks to the road like glue. So, as long as you are not going to start a drag race, you have more than enough power in the Cayenne and I am sure as I get to know the car better, it will go faster. Above 4k rpm, the exhaust tune changed and sounded like 911. Below that, it sounded....well, in-between an Audi and a VW. Plus I am averaging between 17-18mpg with 50-50 city hwy, so it is not too bad. Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by mylai996
Depends what you are driving as a DD now. I switch from a Honda Element to the Cayenne. Starting off the line, it is not as peppy as the Element due to the low gearing on the Cayenne and the smoother stick shift on the Element(hopefully this can be resolved with a change in transmission fluid). However, on the freeway where the Element will run out of breath due to only 5 spd manual going 4k rpm at 80mph, the Cayenne will cruise with comfort around 3k rpm at 80mph. Driving is quite a few steps up as I don't get the torque steer and front wheel spins from the Element(although it has the Honda awd pump system) and suspension is top notch as it sticks to the road like glue. So, as long as you are not going to start a drag race, you have more than enough power in the Cayenne and I am sure as I get to know the car better, it will go faster. Above 4k rpm, the exhaust tune changed and sounded like 911. Below that, it sounded....well, in-between an Audi and a VW. Plus I am averaging between 17-18mpg with 50-50 city hwy, so it is not too bad. Hope this helps.
it does, thanks! What suspension options do you have on the car? I'm coming from a 335xi so the power is a bit of a concern, but i'll def drive it before i make my decision.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I have the regular spring suspension and the Cayenne surprisingly hugs the ground very well - much better than the 1st gen x5 and a tad better than the 2nd gen x5. If you are coming from 335xi, I think you may be disappointed with either v8 or v6 Cayenne if you are looking for speed. In my book, Porsche is always about handling unless you are getting the turbo. There are always cars that are faster than Porsche costing less but they cannot touch Porsche in the handling dept.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
hmmm, if you think Synchromax is watery, dont drain your OEM fluid in your tranny or any diffs., youll get a heart attack!!!! in an instant!!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Hm....No wonder some members report having front diff failure at the early life of 70-80k. I should look into changing them as soon as possible. Synchomax for the trans and 75-90w mobil 1 gear oil for the diff? How about the transfer case? Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for that? Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 AM
i have redline products in all my diffs ( front, rear and center)

Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by mylai996
I have the regular spring suspension and the Cayenne surprisingly hugs the ground very well - much better than the 1st gen x5 and a tad better than the 2nd gen x5. If you are coming from 335xi, I think you may be disappointed with either v8 or v6 Cayenne if you are looking for speed. In my book, Porsche is always about handling unless you are getting the turbo. There are always cars that are faster than Porsche costing less but they cannot touch Porsche in the handling dept.
Do you have PTV? I'm not looking to match the speed of my 335xi...dont expect that to happen unless i get a turbo. Just looking for somethign sporty that's fun to drive...handling is more important then straightline speed for everyday driving, IMO.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Jagman1 is on a distinguished road
I put Mobil 1 synth ATF in mine and it's been shifting fine. Looking tondo the difs soon.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM
No PTV, I believe that's only available in the 3rd gen Cayennes - MY11. I really like the suspension and the steering feel on the Cayenne. Although I've got the basic Cayenne, it's handling is superior to my wife's 01 x5 and the more current 10 x5d. But you will need to drive them all and decide for yourself what will make you happy everyday.