Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:07 AM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
No, I spent it mostly on my speeding ticket :-)

You can get the golden key fob on eBay.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
How fast in a what zone?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 PM
clam1030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just purchased a '06 CS for my dad and I don't think the aluminum upgrade was done on it alongside the other "major" fixes needed for the 955s (t-connector, tranny valve body solenoid, cardan shaft, coil packs). I searched the forum but I can't find a TSB# to reference when I call in. Do you guys know if dealerships are, right off the bat, providing this aluminum upgrade at a discount? I want to get a head start on these big fixes so that pops isn't left stranded on the road one day/night.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Go here. Post #443
http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...es-a-z-30.html
There are a couple of pics on how to tell if the coolant pipes have been done. How many miles on the car?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by clam1030
Just purchased a '06 CS for my dad and I don't think the aluminum upgrade was done on it alongside the other "major" fixes needed for the 955s (t-connector, tranny valve body solenoid, cardan shaft, coil packs). I searched the forum but I can't find a TSB# to reference when I call in. Do you guys know if dealerships are, right off the bat, providing this aluminum upgrade at a discount? I want to get a head start on these big fixes so that pops isn't left stranded on the road one day/night.
The "T" only applies to turbos - not an /S. The valve body applied to 2003-2004 models. Cardan shaft can't be predicted (except sooner or later it WILL happen), neither can coils. When they fail they fail. Before that they're fine.

Get the parts together for a Jimi fix on the cardan shaft, and keep an eye out for a deal on coil (and plugs since you might as well while you're in there..)

The pipes - first you need to determine if they've been done. There is no TSB on them. It never happened according to Porsche. And you're too late to opt into the class-action.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 AM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deilenberger
The "T" only applies to turbos - not an /S. The valve body applied to 2003-2004 models. Cardan shaft can't be predicted (except sooner or later it WILL happen), neither can coils. When they fail they fail. Before that they're fine.

Get the parts together for a Jimi fix on the cardan shaft, and keep an eye out for a deal on coil (and plugs since you might as well while you're in there..)

The pipes - first you need to determine if they've been done. There is no TSB on them. It never happened according to Porsche. And you're too late to opt into the class-action.
I had a bad valve body on my 06 CTTS with 48,000 miles.

The reason I am asking about miles on the car is that likely most or all of that has been done. The valve body does not happen on all. My 05 CTT had 125,000 miles on the original valve body and no sign of any issue.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtnrat
I had a bad valve body on my 06 CTTS with 48,000 miles.

The reason I am asking about miles on the car is that likely most or all of that has been done. The valve body does not happen on all. My 05 CTT had 125,000 miles on the original valve body and no sign of any issue.
Interesting. The valve body can be a problem on any car - but it was very likely to be a problem on the early Cayenne. And if it isn't acting up there is no reason to do anything about it, especially on an '06.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Thank you deilenberger and mtnrat for the valuable inputs.

I'll adjust my notes accordingly to reflect the refined info you both gave (huge thank you for that - saves me some worries/money). I mistakenly listed the valve body on there as I read that it can actually be prevented by doing more frequent tranny fluid changes (every 40k). Glad to know the coils and cardan shaft are to be replaced whenever it happens and that there isn't much benefit in doing them preventatively.

The '06 Cayenne /S Titanium Edition I just purchased has about 41k miles (rounding up). Thank you for linking me to the process of checking for aluminum pipes, I will do that tonight when I drop by my dad's house.

Last edited by clam1030; 10-18-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Let us know what you find. I prefer to have not had the coolant pipes done as you then know that there was not a catastrophic failure putting coolant to the starter and torque converter seal. If you are handy with the wrench it is not a difficult job, but does take time. ECS has a great set of instructions, as well as good info here and in the thread I sent you. The parts are about $900.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Dangit. Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, it looks like I found plastic.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Yea, looks like plastic. Like I said, a bit of a pita, but do it asap and you know it hasn't had a coolant bath. A bad news-good news scenario. Do you have any wrenching skills? They will fail sooner than later. Check out this.
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3..._Upgrade_2.pdf

Old 10-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Thank you for linking me to the ECS installation guide. It looks like quite a pita and I definitely have some urgency in getting these taken care of before winter gets here. Unfortunately, my wrenching skills are quite limited beyond fluid changes (tranny, oil, differential, etc.). I called around today to grab quotes and have gotten an average of $2k so far.

I think what I'm going to do is work with my indy on this so I can develop my wrenching skills while saving a couple bucks. I didn't go with him off the bat as he normally only does Japanese and american cars but judging from the PDF it doesn't look like anything overly foreign to the big projects he has occasionally.

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Yea, looks like plastic. Like I said, a bit of a pita, but do it asap and you know it hasn't had a coolant bath. A bad news-good news scenario. Do you have any wrenching skills? They will fail sooner than later. Check out this.
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3..._Upgrade_2.pdf

Old 10-19-2016, 01:09 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
My '05 CTT valve body was bad when I bought mine with about 75,000 miles on it. That's actually a very straightforward and pretty easy job. Although it is VERY, VERY, messy.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by clam1030
Thank you for linking me to the ECS installation guide. It looks like quite a pita and I definitely have some urgency in getting these taken care of before winter gets here. Unfortunately, my wrenching skills are quite limited beyond fluid changes (tranny, oil, differential, etc.). I called around today to grab quotes and have gotten an average of $2k so far.

I think what I'm going to do is work with my indy on this so I can develop my wrenching skills while saving a couple bucks. I didn't go with him off the bat as he normally only does Japanese and american cars but judging from the PDF it doesn't look like anything overly foreign to the big projects he has occasionally.
I don't see why you would replace it if it hasn't failed yet. "If it an't broke don't fix it"

Old 10-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
We still need to see pics of this beast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit