Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cam position sensor HELP PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Cam position sensor HELP PLEASE.

Does anyone have info on where it is located and how long it will take to replace (shop hours)? I intend to do it myself, but wanted an idea. I think I read that it was behind bank 1, but not sure.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
17 is the "intake camshaft position sensor, bank 1"
18 is bank 2

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by the head
17 is the "intake camshaft position sensor, bank 1"
18 is bank 2
Any idea of how long it should take to change out?

I'm told nearly 7 hours by a shop that knows how to do it, I find that really hard to believe.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure. I had one done under warranty. Looks like the intake manifold has to come off (at least that's the step prior), but the sensor appears accessible from the outside of the engine.

Last edited by the head; 02-15-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Here's a diagram. It appears there is a single bolt that holds it in on another diagram.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
The shop is claiming nearly 7 hours to change it out. I just can't imagine a sensor being buried that far in to any car.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
I had mine done a few months ago... I believe my shop quoted 8 hours or so. But I got it covered under warantee...

Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe Seth from Technical Dimensions in Jacksonville can weigh in?? I am sure their hours aren't this many.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
I hate reviving old threads but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I just got the P0349 code. I cleared it and it continued to come back after about 40 minutes of driving. It specifically comes on as I come to a stop. Over the past few days the idle has been low and the rpms are slightly erratic. Today it felt like it was going to stall.

I understand what the sensor is used for and it makes sense that this is causing the rough idle. My question is, should I just buy a new sensor or should I suspect a damaged cam wheel ?

Any help and part numbers would be great! Thanks.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rampino
I understand what the sensor is used for and it makes sense that this is causing the rough idle. My question is, should I just buy a new sensor or should I suspect a damaged cam wheel ?

Any help and part numbers would be great! Thanks.
Definitely, the new sensor would be at the top of the replacement list. Why would you consider a bad cam wheel?

I will see if I can find a part number for you when I have access to my catalog. You may also want to call a local dealer or ECS tuning and they can cross reference the correct part number for you.

EDIT: Did you try clearing the code and seeing if it comes back? If not, then I would do that first.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 03-20-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Definitely, the new sensor would be at the top of the replacement list. Why would you consider a bad cam wheel?

I will see if I can find a part number for you when I have access to my catalog. You may also want to call a local dealer or ECS tuning and they can cross reference the correct part number for you.

EDIT: Did you try clearing the code and seeing if it comes back? If not, then I would do that first.
I wasn't ready to jump to any conclusions about the issue being the sensor. Someone wrote this was a fairly common problem but I wasn't able to dig much up on it. The stuff I did find didn't say that it was always the sensor.

I did end up finding the sensor on Pelican. 996-606-106-02-M14. Also ordered an extra O-ring for it since I tend to install delicate items in a monkey like fashion. I should get it by Tuesday.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
I replaced the sensor last night and it seemed to do the trick.

I did hold true to my previous statement and broke at least one thing....
..on that, how are you supposed to take the plastic head cover off of the passenger side? I did it by unintentionally snapping it in half and then just breaking the piece under the motor mount.

I may just leave her completely naked under the hood.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced the sensor last night and it seemed to do the trick.
Glad to see that you got it resolved.

how are you supposed to take the plastic head cover off of the passenger side? I did it by unintentionally snapping it in half and then just breaking the piece under the motor mount.
You first have to loosen the torque arm on both sides, lift it up, and then you can remove the plastic cover off the passenger side.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
To add to that, I always remove the secondary air pump on the passenger side before pulling the cover off.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM
spawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura about
8 shop hours is an outright scam. I just changed mine at home with basic tools in under an hour. You pull off the engine covers, remove the secondary air pump bracket then undo the one E10 torx bolt and pull it out. part number is Bosch 0232103022

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor HELP PLEASE.