Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Temporary spare tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM
x014003 is on a distinguished road
Temporary spare tire question

What's the tread life expectation on the standard temporary 'doughnut' spare tire for a 2006 Cayenne S? Once I finish using the temporary wheel, is it reusable, or do I have to get a brand new one to replace it?

Long story short, slid in the snow the other day with my 6 week old Conti DWS tires, hit a belgian block curb, poked a hole in the sidewall of one of the tires. It's a real PITA to a. use a temporary spare vs. a full sized spare b. sourcing and locating one of these Conti DWS tires.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
depends on how many miles u put on the temp tire. I used mine twice already and it still looks good to me, but I never reached 50 mph with it. What kills it is the speed, not the miles that you put on the tire, due to the structure of the tire. It cannot handle high speeds

Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
x014003 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. I've kept my driving to local roads and the speed to a max of 40 mph. The biggest pain was sourcing the replacement Conti DWS; seems to be 'backordered' just about everywhere. I did find one in stock and placed the order, just waiting for the shipping confirmation. I just wish the Cayenne had the room for a full sized spare.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
I always kind of thought I should have gotten the external spare tire, having done this same thing twice now. But how do you cycle in the spare with normal tire rotations?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Mine came with the crappy Bose 'bass-extender', so no spare ... Sorry, but not bright for my foul weather vehicle. I purchased a rim, then tire, then tan cover off ebay ($125). I removed that skirt-pull thing you can hide your crap with and the full-size tire sits upright against the side; in the rear. Just need to figure a way to keep from falling over, but no issues. Really doesn't take that much space either.
Wonder if I can sell my 'can-o-goo' ?

Then, with that large space underneath the deck; will install a decent sub/amp under there.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
The donut spare will last like any other tire. Speed is not really the killer of the tire either.

The reason they put a speed limit cap on them is because they are typically a different rolling diameter than your other tires and the differentiation is hard on drivetrain components. (one wheel rolling faster than the other all the time creates heat and wear)

It should last the life of the vehicle under normal flat tire type use.