Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Pawn Q

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Pasm q

Does pasm adjust height on standard shocks or only with air suspension? If the later, then i assume that pasm only adjusts dampening on standard shocks??

Thanks guys!!

Oh, and one unrelated Q. Does the sport exhaust add power or only sounds?

Last edited by GBXSport; 12-30-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
1. PASM does NOT adjust height on standard shocks. Its just an electronic damping control system that offers continuous adjustment of individual shock absorbers, based on current road conditions and driving style.
2. Sport exhaust just alters the sound ranging from a robust output during normal driving to a more aggressive tone during performance use.

IMO, air suspension with PASM that is standard on the Cayenne Turbo is the way to go. Way much nicer than the standard suspension.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
IMO, air suspension with PASM that is standard on the Cayenne Turbo is the way to go. Way much nicer than the standard suspension.
agreed but since im on a budget i think it's going to be pasm and ptv. Unless you guys now think that air suspension and pasm alone is a better choice.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Order of must haves:
PASM, AS, PTV and PDCC. So I would say take AS over PTV. I would spend money on a suspension upgrade over a performance upgrade.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Jsonorous is on a distinguished road
I was in the same situation trying to decide between air suspension and PTV with my CS. I ultimately went with PASM and PTV. Having driven in both air and traditional suspensions, I felt the ride was fantastic with either, I really couldn't tell the difference, and this is in different PASM settings on both smooth and bumpy roads.

From my understanding, air suspension is valuable for off road, loading in and out, and if you want to raise it high to do work underneath the Cayenne. It will also kick in at high speeds to help with handling.

Last edited by Jsonorous; 12-30-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
My research leads me to believe that the air-suspension does make a noticeable difference. With the AS, one can cater the ride to the road. Many Cayenne owners permanently leave the AS setting on Low Level 1. This in addition to the aesthetic appeal, tends to reduce the natural tendency of all SUVs to understeer in tight corners during spirited driving. "They" say that one definitely feels the weight of the SUV more at the normal height partly due to the heightened centre of gravity.

For example: On smooth roads the Low level 1 setting of the adaptive suspension and the sport mode on the PASM would give it a sports car like handling. On bad roads: Normal height and comfort mode would give your PORSCHE a LEXUSY feel. Jsonorous is absolutely right about the other major benefit of the air suspension for those who off road or tow and YES IT WILL kick in and lower at high speeds to help with handling.

Disclaimer: I have never driven a Cayenne with PDCC, PTV, PDCC or AS. (Come Jan 2011 that disclaimer will no longer be valid )

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-30-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
dw9982 is on a distinguished road
air suspension is very noticeable while going over a speed bump. On a cayenne without air suspension you can feels the car rebound back. With the air suspension it cushions the rebound so you don't feel it. When you set the air suspension on lower, the car also handles better but ride suffers a bit. Also when you go above 92mph the car lowers it self automatically for aerodynamic and stability. What I typically do is drive on the lower setting with comfort mode. Its almost the best of two worlds, looks better and rides nice.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Damn. I'm totally confused now!!

PASM w/ PTV or AS w/ PASM???

I need to try to drive both options. My goal is to have as close to sports car handling as possible, limited body roll, etc.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
dw9982 is on a distinguished road
you just opened a whole can of worms.....

the best combo is of course PASM/AS/PDCC/PTV
Handling wise I honestly think PASM with PTV will be better than AS with PASM. However, the benefit that the AS provided for daily driving such as comfort and lowering the ride height should outweight the PTV...I would just get them all and call it a day. PDCC is not a must if you are cutting cost.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I second dw9982's advice.