Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Coolant Lines - Who has been proactive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
Coolant Lines - Who has been proactive?

I've been following the class action lawsuit thread started a while ago for the people that had busted coolant lines and had to get them replaced. What I'm curious about are the people that have proactively got the coolant lines replaced? My thinking is that if it's going to happen eventually, I'd rather get it done proactively, rather than waiting for it to happen and then potentially cause other problems indirectly (e.g. starter). I only have 27k miles on my 2006 Turbo S, but I'm not sure if its a matter of miles or age for the coolant lines to go. At this point, I'm more inclined to just bite the bullet and proactively get the job done.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
If i understand it correctly the "turbo S" already has the aluminum coolant pipe..

i will double check tomorrow and look at mine to make sure that it DOES NOT have that plastic lines...

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pakundo
If i understand it correctly the "turbo S" already has the aluminum coolant pipe..

i will double check tomorrow and look at mine to make sure that it DOES NOT have that plastic lines...
Hmm...that's different than what my local Porsche dealer service guy told me. He told me that they didn't switch to aluminum until the 2008s came out, unless you meant the 2009 Turbo S. I'm fairly certain that all 2006s have the plastic coolant pipes, but I'd love to be wrong!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
My factory warranty will expire on March 2011, still rolling on cheapo plastic pipes but plan to replace them proactively once the warranty expires.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
that's why i've asking (on other threads) about the mileage on their pepper.. mine's at 32k 06 TT-S..trying to figure out if we drive it less, then the less chances of having these failing (?).. have there been anyone here (in the forum) that had 06 TT-S with busted coolant plastic pipes?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I went ahead and ordered the coolant kit from Sunset Imports ($399!!!). While I'd likely be okay for quite a while, I'd rather have the assurance that I don't have to wonder when my time is going to come.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by pcst
My factory warranty will expire on March 2011, still rolling on cheapo plastic pipes but plan to replace them proactively once the warranty expires.

Forgot to mention, it has ~40k miles, 2006 CS.

( can't believe we have to worry about this kindda stuff on Porsche cars. )

Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
tbill is on a distinguished road
Have 88,600 miles on our 2004 and not a problem yet. However, the more I read the more concerned I am. Was thinking about keeping for several more years, but now it seems I need to either replace lines or upgrade to 2011.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lnferno
I went ahead and ordered the coolant kit from Sunset Imports ($399!!!). While I'd likely be okay for quite a while, I'd rather have the assurance that I don't have to wonder when my time is going to come.
Inferno - that's a great idea. Like a spare tire.

If you're going to do it yourself, I'd probably do it at the earlier of actual rupture, your first CHECK COOLANT warning (as a little crack may start before it all goes), or before a big road trip. The last thing you want is a long tow in the middle of nowhere. When it goes, there is no limping anywhere.

But then again, there's something to be said about doing it early for peace of mind, so you're not scared to venture outside your tow radius.

Get the spring-loaded hose clamp tools now if you haven't already.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 PM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
I have an 05S with 40k miles. I called three Indy shops today and was quoted $1895, $2295, and $2000-2200 ( he was not sure).

In any case one told me they replaced three last week, and that is was a big problem that they see around 60k+ miles. The other had been 1.5 years since they did one, and the third was an email response with simply the price. These were either Porsche only or euro shops.

Called a regular mechanic referred to me and they politely declined.

Seems like this is an 8-12 hour job, at least that is what the shops I spoke with conveyed.

Other thing I noted was that the parts were about $1k. Surprised since these parts can be bought over Internet for $500.

In any case, thinking about I may need to bite the bullet and spend the $2k.

Any other ideas or shops? I am in San Diego.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
All we need is a written DIY instructions. I know few of us here completed the swap, but would be awesome if there is a good DIY info, like or similar to the brake service DIY instructions.