Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Advice needed

Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
theprezzz77 is on a distinguished road
Advice needed

I have a couple questions, these problems seem to be addressed already online, however, my dealer seems to plug its ears when I attempt to explain to them the issue!
I own a 2008 Cayenne V6 tiptronic with 63000KM

First: I have a rough idle that is quite obvious, and even a slight rough ride in mid-speeds as well. I suggested it was the ignition coils, the dealer told me that the coils weren't throwing any codes, therefore, it wasn't something that can be replaced under warranty.

Second: Coolant smell upon morning start-up. Not only this, but during acceleration, it seems as if I am blinded in my rear window by exhaust, let alone the amount of exhaust that I get ALL the time during acceleration and for a couple minutes after the ignition is shut off, and upon research, suggested it may be a coolant leak somewhere or a broken pipe.

Third: Acceleration hesitation. During acceleration, sometimes there is a second of hesitation going into 3rd gear, also a hesitation just about everytime there is a slight acceleration on a turn, it takes about half a second for the acceleration to respond. Upon research, although more common with 03-06, think possibly that a coolant leak could have caused an issue with transmission seals or transmission in general.

I do not have any engine/warning lights on, therefore my dealer seems to be hesitant to do anything for me really. Can any of you provide me with some pertinent information or suggestions as to what the problems could be that I can bring up to my dealer so that it can be addressed properly? Or things I can look for that can confirm what I suggested the problems may be?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Note: I just did the 60K service, so spark plugs were replaced.

Last edited by theprezzz77; 01-16-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
I marvel at how much hot air comes off my rear every time I accelerate. It obscurs my view momentarily and I am always petrified my coolant pipes might have finally burst. Really, the heat and condensation are profuse and profusely embarassing. Not exactly polite in a world brainwashed to concern about non-existant Global Warming/Climate Change. [And we know they point their fingers at us and blame performance cars.]

But for the most part I accelerate proudly and let my exhaust fly.

excellence (Dec 2010) only shows the V6 suffering often from valve cover gasket leaks.

It sounds to me there are multiple things happening concurrently. I have underlined my main concerns.

Wild guesses:

1. While ignition coils usually throw CEL warning lights, they don't always do it.

2. Coolant manifold leak. Heater core leak.

3. Tiptronic Solenoid Failure.

How about any belts? My manual did NOT specify regular maintenance for my V8 serpentine belt but at ~74,000 the noise informed us it needed replacing.

Really, there are serious matters. Your dealer sounds negligent. I'd call PNA and start a complaint telling them I am concerned that the damage may progress significantly if not diagnosed properly and fixed now. It may be too late to save the transmission seals.

The starter may also get damaged from a coolant leak.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
everything seems normal but the rough idling. Can you replicate the rough idling problem at the dealer? If so, then they need to figure it out somehow, otherwise, the exhaust gas and the smoke that you get when the ignition is off are normal, it's the exhaust gas that is in the system getting out.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks so much for the insight!
Interesting about the valve cover gasket leak. I had little pools of oil sitting in my valve cover, and was told by my dealer that it was probably just from spillage of oil from my oil change, done AT the dealer. Hmmmm. Although I did clean it and it never came back.
About the serpentine belt, I don't know if it's required at this point. If you were referring to your truck having 74000, were you referencing kilometers or miles? I was referencing kilometers.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Canberk, you feel that the acceleration hesitation is normal? And the coolant smell is a normal cayenne trait?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
yes, the hesitation is there when you floor it while the car is in the 5th gear, it kinda hesitates and switches to 3rd gear. About the coolant smell, it is probably not a coolant smell but condensation in the a/c system that causes faulty odor. Have your dealership spray their magic spray that stops the condensation in the a/c system.

I feel like you're digging too deep and trying to find problems. Just enjoy your car, don't think the worst. You can see if there is a coolant leak by checking the coolant level WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD, like in the morning after you wake up. Take measurements every day, and it will give you an idea. Sometimes pressure testing will fool you as the seals and o'rings in the system are mostly pressure activated.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by theprezzz77
Canberk, you feel that the acceleration hesitation is normal? And the coolant smell is a normal cayenne trait?
None of that is normal. Your car has some serious issues. Call 1-(800)-PORSCHE and ask them for help. You need a second opinion.

PNA will be highly motivated to get these (plural) fixed in order to avoid repairs costing them more money down the road.

Buy that issue of excellence; it has an article that details Cayenne common problems.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 AM
My figures are in miles. Mine has ~88,000 miles on it.

The loaner Cayenne I drove was silky smooth. True, there was a pause when I floored it but the car and its computer were not used to my driving style. It was about the same age (perhaps the same year) as yours.

page 134 and 136: Clogged Drain at A/C Evaporator is reported, however, this results in the driver's side carpet getting wet with water not coolant.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by canberk
everything seems normal but the rough idling. Can you replicate the rough idling problem at the dealer? If so, then they need to figure it out somehow, otherwise, the exhaust gas and the smoke that you get when the ignition is off are normal, it's the exhaust gas that is in the system getting out.
V6 is known for making rough idles and crunching noises...........

Is this what you are worried about? I have heard all of these noises since about 35 miles........I am at 100k miles plus now on my 06,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpPXlo4pyg
at 33 seconds here.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_BNTjw-Tc

you may need to worry about the fuel pump at worst for the 08s....i think you have dfi....and those fuel pumps tend to have problems.

Keep complaining but the above noises are par for the course on V6s..

and if power is lacking, and youre not running 91 plus octane expect delays and slow responses to acceleration. The higher octanes burn hotter and may not put off as much condensation......thats a guess......

I would say order new spark plugs, and proactively check the coils for cracks, then the fuel pump next.

PM me for the spark plug and coild check.....its simple......remove the engine cover unsnap the the coil tops and pull out the coils.......the spark plug removal is more technical and requires torque specs etc so employ a cheaper chain import shop to the work and agree if they will charge per recommended time of changes or real time..........labor routinely is 2/3rds of the cost.......you can buy those parts cheap at suncoast. to knock off a 1/3 already, and then if you negotiate the labor charged......you can make a 1500 dealer job for about 500-600 bucks.

Last edited by cordsig79; 01-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
Can you give it gas????(rev up )..sounds like a chain tensioner....at 100k.could also be lifters.....just guessing from your vid........

check this out and compare urs....cheers!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCj4vBnUDN8

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Chain tensioner? WTF? It's not part of this discussion. This isn't an air cooled 911.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Chain tensioner? WTF? It's not part of this discussion. This isn't an air cooled 911.

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articl...0205wip14.html

lol

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
So, I have a chain tensioner on my Cayenne Turbo?

I thought chain tensioners were a problem for older 911's long ago.

Are these just on the Cayenne 6's?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
So, I have a chain tensioner on my Cayenne Turbo?

I thought chain tensioners were a problem for older 911's long ago.

Are these just on the Cayenne 6's?

v8's too..but it look alot easier to adjust...(according to the manual)

here you go....first 3 pics..v6.........last pic is v8...

Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
i think lifters are always making noises in these V6 motors.......

I am above 100k and will probably finally take it into another 6 months to get it hooked up to the computer.

chain tensior adjustment looks deep in labor to pull off the front parts of just to get rid of some noise that will return in 10-15k miles......

once it gets above 2k rpms and warms up there is minimal lifter noise.