Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Thermal Insulated Glass Option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Thermal Insulated Glass Option?

Mentioned here but I did not see it last week in options when ordering.

Y'all seem to know so much more than the CA. Was this an option prior to 2011? What's the story please?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
Yes. Have it on my 2005.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Ron it IS certainly an option on the 2011 and pre-2011 Cayennes. The noise and thermal isulating glass is a $ 1120.00 option. It has double paned glass and better thermal insulation. That does not mean that the tint is darker (many states as you know have legal limits). I have it on mine as I am tired of highway noise ... and the quietness will complement the Burmester that I have optioned out.
Pros: Super quiet interior, the windows don't get as hot, the dashboard and seats stay cooler, and the air conditioner "catches up" almost as soon as you start up, even if the car has been left in the sun which may be worth considering since you live in FL.
Cons: Super quiet interior (muting the beautiful V8 growl), can make it hard to have an EZpass or radar detector. The heat insulated glass blocks radiowaves. There's an opening at the top of the windshield that allows the EZpass to work. I have attached a prior service bulletin issued by Porsche to make these gadgets work on cars that have this option. Please bear in mind that the stock Cayenne is pretty quiet to begin with.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ThermalGlass.pdf (219.3 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 01-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Brez is on a distinguished road
w00t,
Is the thermal glass;

1. Actually a metallic film between to glass panes or just a film added to the standard glass?
2. Is the Pano roof also treated if you get the Thermal option? As per question 1, does that mean the pano glass is bigger if it's a film between to glass panes or do they put an extra metallic film to the pano roof?

TIA
Brez

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 AM
dancingbears is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brez
w00t,
Is the thermal glass;

1. Actually a metallic film between to glass panes or just a film added to the standard glass?
2. Is the Pano roof also treated if you get the Thermal option? As per question 1, does that mean the pano glass is bigger if it's a film between to glass panes or do they put an extra metallic film to the pano roof?

TIA
Brez
Anybody got an answer to question #2? I'd like to know this too.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I have double paned glass on my side windows, does that mean I have the thermal front windshield too? Or was that a separate option??

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
03evo - thermal it is.

also has a neat purplish hue from the outside - makes it easy to spot one when you see it.

i love the option - wasn't on my turbo but got it on my GTS

Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Booya!!! I know my back window has the purple-ish hue on it but never really looked at the front windshield. Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
dancingbears is on a distinguished road
On a pano roof car does the thermal option also include the pano glass... thus, making it thicker and more sound insulating?