Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Powder coating or Painting WHEELS BLACK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
YellowCayenneS will become famous soon enoughYellowCayenneS will become famous soon enough
Powder coating or Painting WHEELS BLACK?

I am getting 19' design two wheels. What would you experts suggest? Exterior color of my Cayenne S is Sand Yellow.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor
Vossen Forged will become famous soon enoughVossen Forged will become famous soon enough
Powdercoating is superior only when your getting basic colors like Black in your instance...You cant color match or do custom paint jobs though.. Liquid paint if done right can look good however

Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
YellowCayenneS will become famous soon enoughYellowCayenneS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Vossen Forged
Powdercoating is superior only when your getting basic colors like Black in your instance...You cant color match or do custom paint jobs though.. Liquid paint if done right can look good however
Thanks, dealer suggested a liquid paint shop. I will check them out!!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Paint is MUCH easier to touch up when you scratch a wheel. Neither one is durable when rubbed against concrete.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Cole
Paint is MUCH easier to touch up when you scratch a wheel. Neither one is durable when rubbed against concrete.
Good points, I am leaning towards Paint at the moment.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
I've been very pleased with the satin black powdercoat on my wheels. It is going to be more durable than paint, though if you rub a curb its either pc or paint will come off.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Rennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud ofRennen Modular has much to be proud of
I would suggest powder coating since you are doing a standard black finish. The bond is much stronger and more durable than paint. Also it is much more easier to clean and maintain.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
slowz33 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vossen Forged
+1, powder coat is only more durable to an extent as others have said. Hit a curb and it will screw up your finish regardless of what it is. I believe painted wheels look better as you can achieve a nicer finish after clear coating.

Just don't wash them with harsh cleaning products (see brake cleaner)... Use the same thing you would use to wash the body of your car and they will look great.

I think this is my first post; so it probably seems a little trollish.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
paint and lots of clear coat works really nice. plus it'll be easier to repair any curb marks later.

i would do gun metal instead of black. black is a bit too dark for a yellow car. just my 2 cents. i have gun metal on my gallardo (see avatar).

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
paint and lots of clear coat works really nice. plus it'll be easier to repair any curb marks later.

i would do gun metal instead of black. black is a bit too dark for a yellow car. just my 2 cents. i have gun metal on my gallardo (see avatar).
Love the idea of GUN METAL, thanks.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
One quick thought on gun metal. I did a gun metal finish on my Audi S4 wheels and EVERYONE made comments to me about how I needed to clean the brake dust off my wheels. Even when they were spotless.

Apparently the gun metal finish just looks like a very dirty wheel to most people.

At least on a car they perceive as a daily use car. Unlike a Lambo or maybe a wheel with a silver lip that let's you know its clean .

Just a thought from having done gun metal.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Former Vendor
Chris@Fabspeed is on a distinguished road
Powdercoating will be much stronger but yes if you want to match the exact color of your Cayenne, paint is the way to go. I do powdercoating and whenever people ask about matching colors I have to tell them its not really possible and they're better off doing black/gunmetal or something like that in powder.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
@ Joe - Thanks
@ Cole - Good points but I think I will like the Gun metal looks

Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 AM
check 6 is on a distinguished road
YellowCayenneS I plan on painting my wheels also when the CS comes in (hopefully late Feb.) I will either go satin black or a gun metal shade. I have BBS wheels on my C2S in what BBS calls Diamond black (similar to gunmetal) and they do not show brake dust anymore than any other color. I asked David yesterday when he thought your car would be here so we can get a group from the PCA region to help you celebrate

Old 01-22-2011, 05:52 AM
scott is on a distinguished road
Can the center cap be powder coated as well? It's plastic isn't it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Powder coating or Painting WHEELS BLACK?