Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New Porsche Cayenne Owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
New Porsche Cayenne Owner...

Hello. I am finally a Porsche owner after MANY years of owning VWs and got my '04 Cayenne S (now with 100,000 mi) on Christmas eve! So far I love it but was wondering if there is anything I really need to know about owning it/taking care of it other than not letting my lead foot get me a ticket.

For example, anything I can do for better fuel mileage (so far, I actually get 15 or 16 city and 19-20 Hwy)/are K&N air filters worth it and can help with MPG and HP; do I really need a battery tender/trickle charger, etc.; any other tricks and tips? I'm so glad to own my dream car (at least one that can haul the kids) and be a part of a great car family. Any sugggestions/input would be great. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Welcome. I, as well, am a recent 04 'S' owner and love mine too. Take a few and read through some of the post over the last week. Lots of good stuffs here.
Highlights:
The Upcoming (hopefully) Plastic Coolant Line Law Suit.
Coil Pack Issues.
Front DriveShaft Issues.

Also, folks like to drive with PSM off, while using Tiptronic for some real fun (and bad mpg).

K&N is worthless; you'll spend $100+ for maybe 5hp.

Lots of threads on lowering links vs lowering modules; wheels; etc...

Enjoy !

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
Hello. I am finally a Porsche owner after MANY years of owning VWs and got my '04 Cayenne S (now with 100,000 mi) on Christmas eve! So far I love it but was wondering if there is anything I really need to know about owning it/taking care of it other than not letting my lead foot get me a ticket.

For example, anything I can do for better fuel mileage (so far, I actually get 15 or 16 city and 19-20 Hwy)/are K&N air filters worth it and can help with MPG and HP; do I really need a battery tender/trickle charger, etc.; any other tricks and tips? I'm so glad to own my dream car (at least one that can haul the kids) and be a part of a great car family. Any sugggestions/input would be great. Thanks!
Things your Cayenne loves to eat

1. Tires
2. Mobil 1 OW-40
3. Premium Gas, your car will run more efficent with the higher octane and 04's dont have anti knock tech so you must run 91 and above.
4. Brakes, get accustomed to Suncoast parts and do it yourself pads and rotors....or you need to find a decent import mechanic you trust.
5. Pencil Coils
6. Coolant tubes if not aluminum.
7. Cardan shaft, buy the 300 dollar vertex or find an offroad shop who will redone the bearings and rubber housing for 150....

You may see fuel pump, torque converter, and a few other issues pop up. All documented here and renntech.org.....go to ebay and by the 10 dollar how to fix cayenne repair manual......it will be of service to your mechanic and you.

Good luck, its not bad just be prepared..

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Maybe consider an aftermarket warranty? Not sure if they sell them for that high mileage?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
RisingAgainst is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cordsig79
3. Premium Gas, your car will run more efficent with the higher octane and 04's dont have anti knock tech so you must run 91 and above.
I do believe that is inaccurate, my 04S has it.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
simpleman325i is on a distinguished road
I too bought mine on 24 Dec. most be a good deal day!!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
STDFAST is on a distinguished road
i just picked my 08 up on December 31st. I'm excited for you... Welcome to the Dream

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Did you have it PPI'ed prior to pulling the trigger. WHo is going to service it ? And pictures please.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Thanks

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Congrats. Did you have it PPI'ed prior to pulling the trigger. WHo is going to service it ? And pictures please.
Thanks to you all for responding and thanks for the welcome and input. Pictures soon. Waiting for some clear side markers.

I do use Premium and since Oregon uses ethanol I have found a station that sells Non-Ethanol. I already notice a difference.

Apparently the previous owner is good friends with the owner of the Porsche dealership and also is their advertiser and originally bought it from him and subsequently traded it in and it was fresh on the lot.

Since it was the end of the year we got a great deal. I don't mind saying we only paid $18,500 after some negotiating. Of course, they made a bundle on my trade of a 2001 Passat in excellent, low miles condition and they sold that in a week.

My husband and I talked about a PPI but went with our gut given the circumstances. Hopefully this was not a costly mistake but the dealership had been top notch through it all and has been taking care of, free of charge, some minor but spendy issues that have come up even though there is no warranty (hard to believe, I know,). They gave us (and the owner left in the car) all of the service records. Coils and coolant tubes have been replaced and all services have been performed as needed to include brakes and tires replaced, etc.. The last owner took really good care of it and I've actually been to his home to buy the roof rack and rails for a steal at $150.

Anyway, so far so good.

Thanks for the input and happy driving!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Servicing

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
As for servicing it, I think we will use a reputable German auto repair shop we know of called German Master Tech. I'm sure it will be much less money.