Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"We couldn't reproduce it so, sorry..." Advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
"We couldn't reproduce it so, sorry..." Advice needed please!

MODS: I'm NOT trying to create a second post about this issue. I already have one posted and know what the problem is, I wanted to post this to get suggestions on how to deal with my local service department...

So I'm having a couple PCM troubles. Surprise.

I've had two dealers check it out (I moved, so not because I wanted a second opinion...) and both said they couldn't reproduce it. Ok, I understand that, it is a "ghost" of an issue BUT I have literally 20 pictures on my phone from instances where it has occured AND I have it documented that my CTT is on its 3rd PCM unit AND that others have had this happen to them as well.

Below is a copy of the email I wrote to my local service manager (who conveniently has not replied after a couple days). I included with it literally 20 pictures of the issue as stated as well as posts from 5+ people from various board who have encountered this. I feel I've brought more than enough to the table with this and am worried it won't be covered until after my warranty is up.

"Hi ___________,

I hope this email finds you well.

I wanted to shoot you an email to update you on what I have found with regard to the issue my PCM screen is running into.

Problem: As it stands now the screen will “inverse” its colors and go white for anywhere from 5 seconds to minutes on end.
Occurrence: Random. Cornering, bumps, expansion joints, tilt, etc. there is no discernable pattern and I cannot get it to reproduce itself
Frequency: Sometimes I will go a couple of days without it creeping up, other times it will happen multiple times each day.
- It has happened quite often and I’ve only been able to get pictures on maybe 50% of the occurrences.
o 1/4/2011, 1/17/2011, 1/19/2011, 1/24/2011 and 1/25/2011 are when I’ve been able to get pictures (please see attached)
Issue: From research I’ve done it seems to be an issue with the FPC connector which I’ve heard is a common problem. The solder joints fail from heat cycling in the unit.
TSBs and Recalls: 91/05, 914/05, 931/07 and 915/04 all pertain to issues with the PCM unit. I’m not sure which may be applicable in this situation as I’m waiting to hear back on the details of each. I will shoot those over once I get them if you would like.
Misc.: This is the 3rd PCM unit this truck has had so it has a history of issues with these units. I’m not sure if there is another underlying cause that exists and is contributing to this issue. It I’ve attached print outs from 5 separate instances of this happening to other owners. I can find more if you’d like.

I’m really trying not to be a pain and hope this is received with interest as I really do not want to be the guy who cried wolf trying to track down some ghost of an issue. I understand if you are not in a position to have this issue addressed at this time, I simply wanted to make sure that it is documented. Trust me I’m in software and understand the definition of “if I can’t reproduce it, it never happened…”

Should you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

Regards,

James R. Pittman"

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? I've tried fiddling with the screen per Rox's suggestions but haven't been able to reproduce the issue, nor has either dealer. It just "happens" on its own.

It is simply frustrating that I KNOW it is an issue, have pictures to back it up, history to back it up, OTHER's posts to back it up, even TSB numbers about it but i'm still just looked at like I'm dumb...

A link to the pics of the problem is below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3100616

Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
BlueLodge400 is on a distinguished road
Since you have documentation, this should be covered under warranty.
My recommendation would be to take it to another dealer.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlueLodge400
Since you have documentation, this should be covered under warranty.
My recommendation would be to take it to another dealer.
I agree....

Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to follow up that I went to my "preferred" dealer where I lived before I "moved" and they covered it under the CPO warranty! New PCM screen any all!

Those guys are the best! Thanks all for the suggestions and support.