Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Turn signal not working. (and the light bulb was changed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Does the invoice show how much the repair would have been had it not been covered by the dealer?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
simpleman325i is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FastHackem
Does the invoice show how much the repair would have been had it not been covered by the dealer?
They charged $60 bucks. $10 for the new socket and $50 for the labor. I will say this though, it is currently back at the dealer for the same issue!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
simpleman325i is on a distinguished road
Came back for the dealership in the rental today.... Apperantly there was a wire in the plug that was coming loose as I drive. they are putting in some sort of wire harness that will fix the wires and prevent them from coming lose again...... I HOPE THIS IS IT!!!!! they gave me a V6 loaner.. SOOOO not the same as my CTT

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
houldsworth1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up You chaps are great!

Thanks!

My front drivers side indicator stopped working. Back was fine and I had the fast flash on the dashboard. Replaced the bulb with no result.

I took it apart again to see if there was corrosion and couldn't see any - pristine if anything. But since I was there I decided to just go ahead anyway.

Cleaned the bulb contact points and the tab in the bulb holder and, even though it looked as though good contact was being made, I levered the tab up slightly with a small screwdriver.

Put it back together again and - voila! Working again.

One thing that seemed different this time. When turning the bulb holder to put it back in there was a satisfying snap as it went into place. I don't remember that last time so maybe I was being too wimpy with it .

Thanks! You chaps saved me a lot of time and probably money.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
04CS1STPORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Wiper and signal light malfunction

Just got our 04 cayenne in December. Everything was working fine until the cold weather hit. I turned on the wipers but nothing happened. Since I was on my way to work, I just kept driving (no more rain). Then I signaled to turn right and nothing happened either. After a while, it worked normally. Since then, when the temperature has gone to the 30s or 40s, it's done it again. Any idea what is happening? I've never heard of warming up a vehicle so that electronics would work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
I had this happen twice and the indy in Portland OR fixed it twice and now it happened again.

Now both headlights stopped working after being in the shop in Portland OR...been driving my 911 in the cold weather

Going to start by replacing with all new ballast, wire and bulbs.

Thinking about buying a Durametric....will it tell me if the head lights being out is caused by a fuse, bad wire, bad bulb or bad ballast?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
elc32955 is on a distinguished road
I had the dreaded RF turn signal problem pop up two months ago. There is an old TSB out on loose or wobbling headlights for the 04's, the fix is to retorque the supporting bolts for the mount and apply some Loctite. I had the local indy shop do this with my problem last month and so far the light has worked correctly, no more problems. I can't say what is going to happen next time the light has to come out though as both my headlights do need reconditioning due to the hazing issue.

Also... I know of another local Cayenne 04 TT owner that is having the exact same problem with his ride, RF turn signal intermittent that started around the same time as mine did. Sounding more and more like a recurring theme on these....

Thanks
Eric

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Rachdig is on a distinguished road
Loose headlight caused problem

Husband changed the bulb and the socket but still the same issue. Turned out he was not tightening the headlight back into the headlight holder, so when I'd drive over bumping roads, the entire headlight would loosen from the holder and loose connection, causing turn signal failures, and other headlight failures. Blah, blah, blah. So glad it's fixed!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
sjj31 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simpleman325i
Well I would like to thank all who replied.. I took it to the Porsche dealer today and they fixed it. Bad socket! apparently these lights are very touchy. The up side is, I didnt have to pay due to the fact the dealership I purchased the car from covered it for me.. Thanks again all
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but when you say they replaced a "bad socket" does that mean they replaced the whole headlight assembly? I can't seem to find anywhere to just buy the turn signal socket. Having the same problem.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this may help or not, but make sure the headlights are fully "locked" in with the headlight tool. I removed mine to replace the gaskets and when I put them back one of the signals didn't work intermittently. I removed the headlight and made sure it was seated perfectly and the lock was fully engaged and now it works no problem. So try this before you start pulling hair out, especially if you've removed your headlights recently for any reason.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sjj31
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but when you say they replaced a "bad socket" does that mean they replaced the whole headlight assembly? I can't seem to find anywhere to just buy the turn signal socket. Having the same problem.
It's not the headlight. It's the turn signal bulb socket. When you replace the part that's generally all that's needed. Otherwise, you can pull the bulb, pry out the terminal posts, polish them with scotch-brite or steel wool and reinstall the bulb. Otherwise, put in a new socket.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:51 PM
KJUtah is on a distinguished road
Update to this old gem...I just had the rapid flash, single turn signal inop on the front driver side of my 2003 996. I found that there was slight arcing corrosion on the side contacts of the bulb socket. Very difficult to see, but touched up with a bit of sandpaper, and fixed the issue. Just for those who tried the inside of the socket and all the other usual suspects. Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:12 PM
tacarralejo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
I just had this issue. It is either the socket OR it is the headlight track. Dealer just replaced mine and it is 100%

It was ongoing and intermittent but is better now and I haven't had any issues thus far.
How much did it cost to have the dealer take care of it?

Old 08-05-2022, 07:51 AM
flatsix.fix is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by FastHackem
Whoa there cowboy. Stop the order!! Im gonna save you some $$$$. Take a look at the copper contact points in the socket. Im 98% sure this is where your issue lies. Either the contacts are corroded and can be sanded down with a small piece of sandpaper, or the contacts are not touching the base of the bulb enough anymore and just need to be bent out slightly with a small flat-head screwdriver to make good contact again. Just make sure that if you are going to bend out the contact points, make sure the car is off and no lights are on, otherwise you will blow the fuse.
hello mate - I don’t know if you’re still active on here, but 11 years after you posted this, I used your advice today and you did indeed save me plenty of ££££. Thank you