Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Headlight gasket/seal replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Headlight gasket/seal replacement

I've been noticing the gasket that seals the area between the headlights and the fenders have been falling apart for a little while so I just replaced them this weekend. It was also causing the headlights to bounce and you could see that effect driving at night over bumps. Very simple, but there are several plastic tabs that hold them on. I broke one but it wasn't anything some silicone and then tape to hold it until it dries couldn't fix.
One unexpected thing I got out of it is the Evoms intakes aren't as loud as before, odd as that seems. There is definitely less "whoosh" sound when it's sucking in air and when the DVs release the boost back into the inlets. I had no idea that would have any effect on the intake noise, but there you have it - some nearly useless info for the cayenne.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
So no more headlight bounce now that the seals have been changed?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
If the headlights are bouncing, the first thing I would look at are the mounting cradles. They can come loose, to the point of the bolts falling completely out. There are 4 mounting points.You can either tighten them up, or take the bolts out, one at a time as to not lose the adjustment, and loctite them back in. I also recently replaced my seals, looks MUCH better.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
So no more headlight bounce now that the seals have been changed?
Yes. I had tightened the brackets several months ago and while there were a couple loose, it was the seals that stopped it altogether.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Good info. I'll be changing my seals shortly.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Anne123 is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old thread, but I discovered today my headlight seals need to be replaced and am wondering if there's a tutorial anywhere. I looked on renntech and couldn't find one.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Stevie S is on a distinguished road
Headlight seals

Anne123,
This should be fairly simple. In your toolkit, you should have a tool for removing the headlights. Very simple to do and the instructions are in your manual. The headlight comes out as a unit and this is also how the bulbs are replaced. With the headlight out, the seal replacement should be self evident.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
You guys with intakes should just take your headlights out - you'll get even better power out of it...

Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
What if you don't replace the seals and if so, what may be the consequences? I mean, seriously, its $50 per seal each side and I rather use that $100 toward dentpro to fix some of the dings i got instead..just wanted to get some understanding here..thanks!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BB987
What if you don't replace the seals and if so, what may be the consequences? I mean, seriously, its $50 per seal each side and I rather use that $100 toward dentpro to fix some of the dings i got instead..just wanted to get some understanding here..thanks!
Wow, way to bring a thread back from the dead On the same note though I kind of wondered exactly what purpose the gaskets served too. They don't seal the headlight itself. Guess they just keep water from getting inside the fender well? Again,one of those parts that makes you realize why Porsche is so profitable. I agree $50 each seems steep for some foam rubber.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 AM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Wow, way to bring a thread back from the dead On the same note though I kind of wondered exactly what purpose the gaskets served too. They don't seal the headlight itself. Guess they just keep water from getting inside the fender well? Again,one of those parts that makes you realize why Porsche is so profitable. I agree $50 each seems steep for some foam rubber.
yeah, i finally got around to upgrade my halogen headlights to the ebay special xenon for $25 and realize that as i take out my headlights, all these rubbery seal around the headlights are all brittle and falling off in pieces. I would be glad to pay for it if it was like $20 a piece, even though it's probably still way too much..

Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Hal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really nice
Originally Posted by GTS Jay
You guys with intakes should just take your headlights out - you'll get even better power out of it...

Old 02-20-2016, 04:25 PM
tarik916 is on a distinguished road
I know this thread is old, but I want to share this info to help anyone looking in the future.

Mine were stiff and cracked, so I just changed them while replacing my cornering bulbs. The installation was simple.

I purchased them from pelicanparts.com. You can search by the part numbers below. They are pricey for rubber/plastic seals, but I want to keep my headlights working.

Left ($57): 955-631-115-00-M100
Right ($65): 955-631-116-00-M100