Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Off road in a Cayenne? Questions from a potential buyer

Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
John in Bis will become famous soon enough
Off road in a Cayenne? Questions from a potential buyer

This is my first post here, so bear with me.

I am considering selling my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd diesel truck and buying a used high-end SUV instead. As a Porsche owner (2005 Boxster), the Cayenne is at the top of my list, particularly since it's probably the only such vehicle that offers a manual transmission (my truck is a 6 speed stick). I admit that this is a pretty strange trade scenario. I love my truck, but we don't really need it any more to haul things. I think an SUV with a utility trailer for hauling would be sufficient. What we need is a good vehicle for the trip out to our house in western North Dakota and back, which involves about 120 miles of interstate highway, 10 miles of gravel roads, and a mile back into our place on a pretty rough gravel drive.

I am considering a Cayenne because it is said to be a pretty decent "off-road" vehicle that's also great on the highway. We don't really drive "off road," but we do encounter plenty of snow and occasional mud, and in dry weather, it's very dusty. Many of the roads out there are unimproved "two-tracks." Perhaps not a typical Cayenne environment, which is why I would like some input from Cayenne owners who have experience driving their vehicles off paved roads.

What kind of tires would you want on a Cayenne for snow, mud, and gravel (which is actually crushed clay called scoria)? Those roads can be pretty tough on tires, so I'm thinking the 17 inch wheels would be better than 18-20's. Clearly, winter tires are better for snow and ice, but I don't know if they would they last long on gravel. I have used Goodyear Silent Armor and Nokian Vaativa tires on my truck with good results. Both are fine in snow and tough enough for gravel. Some of the tires I see on Cayennes and similar high-end SUV's don't look like they would last very long off pavement, or get you very far if it's muddy.

Second, how would a Cayenne handle dusty gravel roads? Are there mud flaps and fender guards available that would help minimize rock chips and such?

Finally, do you think a V6 with the steel suspension would be ok, or should I look for a Cayenne with the air suspension and adjustable ride height? Lack of ground clearance compared to my truck is another concern I have about trading it for an SUV.

What I'm looking for now in my price range is a 2008 3.6 liter V6 with a manual transmission, or, if I have to drive an automatic, a 2004-06 S or Turbo. From what I've read, I don't think the 3.2 liter V6 has enough power to make it interesting, and certainly not with an automatic. An MB G-wagen would be a possibility, but they get terrible fuel mileage, are automatic only, and newer ones are way out of my price range. No Rovers, because there is no dealer anywhere near here, though I have always admired Range Rovers from afar.

Thank you in advance for your help with this decision.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
a little off topic but i hope porsche does this too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Nfvr4iWeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gZ2...05B9919384FBA0

or this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1kq...eature=related

Last edited by pakundo; 02-01-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
BlueLodge400 is on a distinguished road
John, there’s a lot of options out there and I think everyone will have a good opinion on what you should do. Here’s mine:

I have owned quite a few SUV in the last 10+ years. Many people will probably disagree with me but in my “opinion” I just don’t think the Cayenne is the best vehicle for off road use. It’s great on the highway and remarkable to drive around town. After taking my CTT numerous times up to Tahoe in the winter I have found that it was not the best vehicle on snow and ice or dirt roads. I currently use a Jeep Grand Cherokee for when I go off road or use it for winter(Snow/Ice) driving. Not once have I ever gotten stuck and the 4wheel drive is beyond anything I have ever driven. I don’t think the JGC is anything close to being High End or Luxurious enough for you but it does amazing things once you leave the pavement.
I have a few friends who swear by Range Rover but they are one of the least reliable manufactures on the road. They have the luxury but not the reliability.

Tire:
As for tires, put some aggressive winter tires on it. The Pirelli Scorpion’s make a great winter tire. I learned the hard way not to put cheap tires on any car!

Engine:
Go with a V8. The Cayenne is a heavy vehicle, the V6 is lacking the power you might be looking for.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Very informative answer Blue(..you're my boy )
You put it through its paces and it gets the job done
In your case the JGC seems to be the best value:does everything you need:comfy,powerful enough and great offroad and for towing
Just my 2c

Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I have owned 12 Jeeps and 18+\- wheeling rigs over the last 25 years. Wrote for a 4 wheeling mag for 10 years.

The Cayenne should do just fine for what you want to do. If you can find one with the off road tech package that would make it even better. Sure a solid axle Jeep will wheel better at the extreme end of the scale but it also won't handle, tow or ride anywhere close to the same.

Put some decent Goodyear MTR (max traction reinforced) or BFG KO and it will probably do anything you want.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Just bear in mind if you go with the turbo you have to use 18" wheels to clear the brakes and that limits mud tire choices dramatically. I have a spare set of 18s that I'm adding some General AT2 tires for the mud near land we have in East Texas. But, even with it pretty messy up there I haven't gotten stuck with the all season Bridgestone Alenza's on it either. So I haven't been in any great hurry to get the other two tires ordered to try those out. It gets very dusty in the summer but that hasn't been an issue at all. I just drive under 30mph on those roads and don't have rock issues on the paint. I'd have to agree that a Jeep is ultimately better for off-roading, but it doesn't sound like a necessity for where you are going. Take that with a grain of salt because I haven't had to drive in the snow with mine yet.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nterested.html