Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Replacing Battery in Cayenne S 06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
lbredefe is on a distinguished road
Cool Replacing Battery in Cayenne S 06

Hi Guys, Im new to the forum so take it easy on me I have been reading through the owners manual about the main battery changing procedure. It seems pretty straight forward but there is one hang up, I dont have the spline socket to undo the bolts holding the front end of the driver's seat down, I have found some where else on line that says this is a 16 point spline but it doesnt give the size, any of you classy gear heads know what I am looking at and/or how to get one? local parts stores say they only go up to 12 point splines....

already ordered the battery so it is sitting at home on a 2x4.

thanks guys,
sincerely,
Lance B

Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
You'll need a triple square bit (10mm) I believe, for the bolts that hold down the seat etc. I started by moving the seat all the way forward. There are four plastic trim pieces that need to be removed at the ends of all the seat rails (front and back and pop straight out to remove). In the end of the seat rail you will see the two bolts-remove them(if you cant get to the bolts you might have to adjust the seat lower to gain more forward movement of the seat. Slide the seat all the way back, remove trim pieces, remove two bolts from front of seat. Now fold seat back towards steering wheel and then carefully lift up seat and move it off the shelf it's on and rest it up against rear seat floor area (no need to unplug anything-wiring is long enough. The front of the seat mount trim (carpeted piece of trim on shelf)now can be removed (it is clipped on as well). Once you remove that there are two bolts that hold the seat tray to the floor, remove them. Now the seat tray pivots up (on hinges) battery compartment cover is exposed-remove four clips that hold lid on and remove. Disconnect negative post first, then positive post. Remove battery hold down bracket. Handles are built into top cover of factory battery (middle section of battery) use these as it's a ***** to remove-pretty heavy. Install new battery, install battery hold down making sure battery is well secured-no movement, connect positive post first, then negative (make sure battery cables are not rubbing on mount area (I trimmed my mount corner off to allow room for cable to pass thru). Make sure hole is open thru to bottom of car for vent line (not plugged up)- attach vent line kit to existing hose from vent opening and secure to battery. Everything should now be in place- resecure wiring harnesses so they do not get caught up in seat, reassemble in reverse order.

Any more questions feel free to ask, hope this helps, it's an easy DIY, just don't short out the battery.

I purchased my triple square bits from Snap-on, was difficult to find them at most stores I tried. They were pricey but what rates the dealer charges I will have recouped my losses within the first two hours...

Last edited by snzuloz; 02-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
wow thanks os much for the quick and detailed reply, it is TRULY appreciated. the owners manual on the 06 shows skipping everything right to the front seat mount trim in your description, it says to remove the trim and undo the two bolts (at the very bottom down by the battery case top) holding the front of the seat down and it just pivots on the rear "hinge" torwards the back of the car and out of the way... are these two black spline headed bolts also the 10mm tripple square bit and is that a common tool i can get at at parts store?

cheers,
Lance

Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
oh sorry i did not see the snap on bit.... my bad!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
The manual doesn't say to remove the seat I believe, I couldn't get the front trim piece off to access the bolts to pivot the assembly (the seat rails don't allow the trim to come off and it is much easier not having the seat around) 4 bolts and it is completely out of the way. Not sure where you can locate the triple square bits (you will get some odd looks from people when you mention it if you are searching-they will try to sell you torx or some 12 point for sure) good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Triple squares were at the local Auto Zones in CA...

Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Leandoc is on a distinguished road
Replacing Cayenne S 04 battery tools

Originally Posted by lbredefe
wow thanks os much for the quick and detailed reply, it is TRULY appreciated. the owners manual on the 06 shows skipping everything right to the front seat mount trim in your description, it says to remove the trim and undo the two bolts (at the very bottom down by the battery case top) holding the front of the seat down and it just pivots on the rear "hinge" torwards the back of the car and out of the way... are these two black spline headed bolts also the 10mm tripple square bit and is that a common tool i can get at at parts store?

cheers,
Lance
Hello

I need to replace my battery - what tool is needed to remove the two bolts you mention in your post?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
hello

what tool did you use to remove the 4 bolts holidng the seat to the shelf?

thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
just use a triple square bit AKA 12 point spline you can get the set at autozone for 11.99. i think its the 10mm one. only remove the big black bolts (2) in the front holding the seat down. remove the rear trim in the back of the seat covering the rail slides on each side and then the seat will just pivot back. you do NOT need to take the seat out to do this. just two bolts and slide a couple of trim pieces off. from there it should be self explanatory.

what most people struggle with is removing the front trim cover for the base of the seat, then they go hacking the whole seat out of the car. raise the seat as high as it will go and then slide your fingers around the back of that trim cover and gently pull it up and then it will all slide forward and off.

let me know if you need anything else,
cheers.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the quick response - I took your instructions to BatteryOutfitters, Rogers, Arkansas and they installed an Odyssey AGM maintenance free sealed design battery - free installation and great service and excellent value